Why do you do this?

zanico

Expert Expediter
I have been reading and asking questions on this site for about 4 months now. I was wanting to get into expediting, but from the answeres and advise I have received, I think you have talked me out of this, at least for now. I at least want to wait until my kids are out of school. But alot of you guys and gals make this sound like a terrible career. Bad food, poor sleep schedule, never home to be with your family, alot of sitting and waiting, arguments with your dispatcher, etc. I was just wondering, why do YOU do this? By the way, I do appreciate all the help and advise, this is a wonderful site, thank you.

Gener8

Expert Expediter
Alot of us are asking ourselves the same question. This used to be a very profitable business. It is hard to leave. You have to realize that alot of us are at the age where many companies are leary about hiring us. We hang on in the hopes that things will get better. They do for awhile, that gives us false hopes. Many have foolishly invested their life savings in a truck. They have to ride it out one way or the other. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Many will run for next to nothing, thus driving down the rates for all. Some, believe it or not, do not need the money, they are just tourist that get paid to see new sights. Many are retired and their spouses can't stand to have them at home 24-7. Sleeping in a cold van a few nights a week is nothing compared to the dog house or divorce court.

I for one don't know what to do after 12 years in this business. This is not my hobby but my livelyhood. It is getting very tough.

Hope that gives you some insight as to why we do this.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Bad food, poor sleep schedule, never home to be with your family, alot of sitting and waiting, arguments with your dispatcher, etc. I was just wondering, why do YOU do this?"

Good question. When you put it like that, I gotta have to wonder why, myself. :7

But for me, I like driving. Always have. It's just that now I'm getting paid for it. I've had jobs, like in sales, where I'd have to drive several hundred miles, then set up and go to work, then do it all again the next day, all the while never getting paid a penny for the miles driven. Now I am.

Plus, when I'm not on a load, expediting affords me the opportunity to do what I like to do best -- nothing.

Lay around, watch TV, movies, play on the computer, sleep, talk on the phone. It's great. I'm serious. :)

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Why do I? I'm a paid tourist. I've gotten to see the country while earning a paycheck.

That said, It's in my blood. I'm 3rd generation gearjammer, and It's all I can see myself doing. I can't speak for others, but I'm having a blast, making a decent wage, and enjoying every mile. At 23, I have nobody that really misses me at home, and now that I'm in buisness for myself, my family couldn't be happier with me.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I do it because I love to overcome.yes there are alot of problems yes there is extended times away from the family.But I love the feel of freedom it fits me well.I am not getting rich beyound my wildest dreams and I know I never will just running one or two trucks but I will survive better than flippen burgers punching a time clock.I like to spend time alone. and I feel trapped if im at home all the time working a 9-5 the best I ever did was 13.00 an hour and when I got home I was always tired never had enough money except to pay the bills and all I got to do was work and sleep and on the weekend have a few beers.Now its different my house is paid off and 1 of my trucks I paid cash for and the other I just got this last month and it will be paid off in a year.it didnt come easy I have my ups and downs.been in bankruptcy court been on food stamps but since I got screwed by a carrier one to many times and went total independent life is back on track.yes I have to work more hours in a day than ever before but its all for me and my family and that makes it all worth it and just because im independent does not mean I haul cheap freight.I may not get as much as the big ones but its more than I would get working for the big ones and I drive less I may only drive 5,000 miles a month but I still gross 10k and my deadhead is less than ever always under 20% even less than that with the tractor but Im not saying the tractor makes more than the straight cause the expence of operating it but it is easier to load and easier to find dedicated lanes for it. I never sit for days waiting to be loaded.
so to me trucking is a good choice.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We do this for the freedom we have and the pay. We make enough to live on and save for the future. While we are doing our job we get to see this great country and meet lots of great people from all over the United States. We have the option of eating out or eating in the truck. We have equipped our truck so we can make about anything we would want so we have almost as many choices as we would at home. We both have our hobbies so sitting and waiting is not such an issue and we have our generator so we sit in comfort. There is nothing greater then seeing the sites of this country to watch a sunset or get to see a sunrise. When you talk to other drivers all of the United States is talked about as if it is both of your home towns with great places to see and do. There are always good and bad no matter what job you do but the good has to out weigh the bad and as far as we are concerned this job has a lot of good. One more thing we come from the back ground of a large over the road company and we will NEVER complain about the dispatchers we have with our company. We have seen the worst of the over worked and underpaid in large companies and our dispatchers are the best.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter
I second all the posts! I came from a highly stressed Job in semi-white-collar America. It took me almost a year to calm down and go with the flow after I decided to leave the corporate world. I enjoy my solitude. Sure I miss my family and friends and miss some events that I wish I hadn't but all in all, I cannot go back into the corporate world again and survive. 10 yrs out here has spoiled me and I could never work for someone else again. Besides at 55, I'd be lucky to find a 10-12 $ an hour job and couldn't survive on that any longer. I actually have made more some years than I did as a pencil pusher. This life has its ups and downs but it gets in your blood and I think my mom was right when she said years ago, "you're just like your father, you have sand in your shoes"!
My advice is drive for an owner in what ever truck you want to try and see how you like it for yourself, give it 6 months so you see the highs and lows in business and make your own judgements. If you have young children, that is hard, I do not think I could leave my kids behind for extended periods of time and if you drive anything else but a van, you won't do well if you go home every weekend...IMO

Dianne

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Currently, I have an application to apply for a local driving job paying $18/hr. I have a 3 yr old daughter, and a son on the way. Why should I want to stay on the road? Goals. I have a picture of the future, and it has success written all over it. It doesn't mean I'll be away from home till my kids graduate. On the contrary, it has me off the road, homeschooling my kids. I just have to stick it out for another year or two. If I weren't having the success I'm currently having, I'd be filling out that app, with the wife's hand guiding my pen. LOL

I've grown accustomed to the chaos expediting brings, as comared to a 9to5 job. Currently, I'm home for day #12, when I planned on being home for 10. Partly because I deserve it, partly cause there's stuff to be done, partly cause I'm getting what sickness my daughter has, and partly cause I just don't want to leave yet. I have no fear of getting fired. I have no one to answer to, as the owner of the truck keeps his hands off. And I feel a sense of accomplishment for doing what I am, whereas I don't feel the satisfaction in a traditional job.

I'll leave driving the truck, eventually. But I know the ITCH will return, and that will find me behind the wheel for a couple runs or so, now and then. I just love the solace too much to leave it for good.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
Why, you ask...
It's just absolutely awesome...i have been on with Panther for 2 yrs, driving for 2 different owners! First one ripped us off, but the one we are with now is terrific!! My wife even left a good job in her dads bingo hall business to come out on the road, she said it was always her dream to drive the country. well, she's got it! So do I! Seeing the U.S., Canada, we've jotted down into Mexico, we've been to more theme parks than we ever would have been able to otherwise, local cuisines of whatever region we are in. I have never been in an argument with dispatch...I got mad at one for jerking a load from me, but it was my own fault...We are basically well paid tourists and the dispatch are our travel agents!
Sure its work...but when you love the work you do...is it really work? Sure, it's long hours...long hours of seeing new people, seeing new places, doing new things, and going to places we've never been b4!
As the military adverts say..."It's not a job, it's an adventure"!
And that holds true for what we do!! We love it.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
>Wash that truck, mister! :7
>

I did...right after that pic...lol. notice the date? We were in Montana and they had a "freak snowstorm" I drove thru whiteout conditions all night...well really it was 6 hours for 150 miles thru those mountain passes up there. Load made it on time too!
One of the many reasons we love this job!!

GittinThere

Seasoned Expediter
We have only been in Expediting for 2 months, but we talked about it for years. Our children are grown and in College, so we didn't see them much when we were home anyway, unless they wanted something, and they still have no problem getting in touch with us when they need something now! Although our experience is very limited, so far we feel like we made the right decission for us at this time in our life. We come from a small town in TN where the average income and home expences are both very low, so we don't have to make as much as some need to in this business, to make much more than we ever have in the past. Seeing the country and meeting new people is just an added bonus. Good luck with your decission on getting into this business, but as you said, there are alot of things to consider.

Mr.&Mrs.GittinThere

FedEx CC O/O D6758
OOIDA #788426

That's Us, We're Gittin There!=====>

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And I always told Dispatch I drive a Truck Not a Jet..I hope he don't see this Picture. and to answer the Question. I do this because its be a Great Job with Daliy Challenge but Mostly I can't get along with anybody too long so my wife makes me leave.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
The money i save on clothes and shoes in a traditional office job makes up for about a hundred bad runs. Enough said. ;)

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Because I am free and can scream dirty words at people who cut me off, don't use turn signals, drive in bad weather without lights and so on. I am alone and nobody knows how dirty my language gets. No clock, no meetings and good money for this much fun.
The biggest reason is there is a little five year boy playing with a tonka truck inside me. I always wanted a truck and when I got the chance I jumped in and opened my eyes and realized I was doing what I always wanted to.
Now my kids are grown and my wife has another husband of her own so its just me and my tonka toy.

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>I have been reading and asking questions on this site for
>about 4 months now. I was wanting to get into expediting,
>but from the answeres and advise I have received, I think
>you have talked me out of this, at least for now. I at least
>want to wait until my kids are out of school. But alot of
>you guys and gals make this sound like a terrible career.
>Bad food, poor sleep schedule, never home to be with your
>family, alot of sitting and waiting, arguments with your
>dispatcher, etc. I was just wondering, why do YOU do this?
>By the way, I do appreciate all the help and advise, this is
>a wonderful site, thank you.

If you have kids & want to see them grow up you're making a wise decision to hold off on getting into this industry. I had to chuckle at how some people gripe all the time & yet still stay in the industry. That's a pretty astute observation. People are creatures of habit & often don't change until it's forced upon them. So far, for many, it hasn't reached that point.

I got into this industry the first time (back in the early-mid 90s) cuz I wanted to see the country, liked to drive, & realized that for me, playing poker was more of an existance than a living. So I wanted a career. After a few years, while my enjoyment of driving has never waned, being on the road a lot got tiresome, so I left.

I got into this the 2nd time around cuz I got that urge to drive again. I didn't really wanna be on the road much, but I did wanna drive. I was upfront w/ my recruiter about it too. I wish he was as upfront w/ me about a few things. In spite of that, the company I hired on w/ was fine for awhile as most of my runs went from Michigan to the Toronto area & back. Once the runs from Toronto started going to other areas than Michigan I was ready to leave.

I found a local company delivering freight out of Detroit & that fit what my needs were at that time. They've changed a bit & now I need to be even more local (I live 80 miles from the airport) so I'll be leaving this in the near future.

I know I'll get the urge to drive again. I'm not sure how long it'll take but I know it'll happen. I don't enjoy sitting in a van for to long, so I won't get into that kind of situation. I can totally see myself doing this part time if I can find a local company in Flint, Michigan who's willing to take me on.

All in all the work is enjoyable. It's not the highest paying job in the world but it's usually not to bad. There's a sense of accomplishment that goes along w/ it. As long as your payments aren't to high there's not a lot of stress in this kind of thing. There's no boss over your shoulder if ya don't have a qualcom zappin ya every 12 miles or so. It's just an easy going, decent paying, enjoyable way to make a living if ya don't have to many committments on the homefront.

They've got airplanes that are pilotless these days. Maybe I can get myself a truck that doesn't need a driver & deliver freight while sitting in my reclyner watching the football game!! :+

I do enjoy this & will miss it when I'm gone. I can't quite put a finger on it but I guess in a sense it is a way of life.

Take care,
Danny

ps: I'm pretty sure I've answered this kind of question awhile back. I wonder how close my answer this time around matches up w/ what I said earlier. I would think they'd be pretty close but who knows? Maybe I thought differently back then. Anyway, fun question ya asked.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I got into this business three years ago to (1) increase our income, (2) simplify our lives, (3) spend more time together, (4) share a business project, and (5) see the country. All of those objectives have and continue to be fulfilled. Compared to the white-collar professions we left behind, expediting is the easiest, least-stressful, most lucrative and most fun job we have ever done.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
The freedom that it gives!!! Yes, everything that you said in your post is very true. Its all about what you can put up with. I drove local while our children grew up. My hubby drove semi local got home 1 time during the middle of the week and 1 to 2 days on the weekend. Not that he was good for anything when he was home to tired...and he worked a second job on Sundays.If you would decide to enter this world of wandering around the country your wife must be very independent. She has to be able to fix everthing from home repairs to the Childrens problems. She must be very supportive of you being gone. There is a very high divorce rate among drivers because of being gone away from home. You must have total trust in each other because of the opportunity that lerks out in this world to cheat on each other. Her at home and You on the road. My first marriage ended because of this and other things. My second marriage is 18 yrs strong, and still growing. We raised (my) our children and put 3 of the 4 thru college. Which means the income was good. We have been O/O for 17 yrs now. Our Dream of raising The Kids and driving together happened 4 yrs ago when our youngest of 4 turned 18. It was not a easy life but we and our children survived. So now that the lecture is done. Both of you have to make an informed decision. You either love it or hate it. There is no in between.