Why can't they wash lots

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
How many times do you get out of your truck and get over taken by the smell of urine baked into the lot at a truck stop. I find it sickining.All the money we pump into those truck stops,and they neglect the place where we park.It would help if the drivers would stop using it as a tolite.or put some porta johns for those u need to go.So you don,t have water your axle! they want for evryone to get hepatitis.:confused:

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
You are certainly right about the smell at some truck stops.
It would be nice if they could pressure wash the parking lots
also.

But, if the lazy azz truck drivers would go to the bathroom
instead of peeing on their tires etc...it wouldn't stink so.
I was sitting on the 2nd row and a driver parked on the front
row in front of me .. politely went to his passenger side ..unzipped his pants and peed with me sitting there watching
him.. so it's not the truck stops fault the lots stink.. they
can't control what the drivers do in their lots.

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
You are certainly right about the smell at some truck stops.
It would be nice if they could pressure wash the parking lots
also.

But, if the lazy azz truck drivers would go to the bathroom
instead of peeing on their tires etc...it wouldn't stink so.
I was sitting on the 2nd row and a driver parked on the front
row in front of me .. politely went to his passenger side ..unzipped his pants and peed with me sitting there watching
him.. so it's not the truck stops fault the lots stink.. they
can't control what the drivers do in their lots.
I was not blaming the truck stops,but they could but some porta johns in the lot.They also could clean the lots with a power washer 2 times a year. using a bleach solution in the sprayer. They do have 2 truck stops that do this i know of.The worst truck stop i've to is knoxville,tn and most flying j...I guess its up to the manager of the truck stop.but they get 85% of there mney from us.

are12

Expert Expediter
Do u really think that putting in port a pot would work? If they are too lazy to walk to the truck stop to use the john, they would probably be too lazy to walk to the port a pot!

godslove139

Seasoned Expediter
Do u really think that putting in port a pot would work? If they are too lazy to walk to the truck stop to use the john, they would probably be too lazy to walk to the port a pot!
i know not all Drivers will Even go to the porta.But its will be used by drivers that have that opition instead of walking across the parking ginding there teeth and pinching there cheeks to make it the john in the building on the far side of the large lot.:D

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
You mix Bleech with Urine its same as Mixing Bleech with Amonia. It'll kill you and everything else (no kidding).

Its not the truck stops responsibility to wash the lot, its our responsibility to use the restrooms or a bottle and dispose of it properly not in the ditch or under the tires in the truck stop.

Now if a truck stops wants me back, a trash can and sweeping of the lot is appriciated.

I am not responsible for other drivers habbits. Heck they cut ya off almost taking fenders, do not signal no common courtesy (or if you get it you know it was from a Real Professional) too many Amatures out here making it difficult and uncomfortable for the rest of us trying to be neat, safe, and give others the common courtesy of RESPECT.

Just look how they are parking now, over the lines or by pulling in insted of backing in. (makes it difficult for the next guy as the trailers stick out further than the nose of a truck I can go on and on by doing so only aggrivates me SO I IGNORE THESE usually fat lazy XXX people and give them the respect they deserve.. Their to dumb to notice anyway since the World only revolves around their opinions..

The Truck stops have a very hard and difficult job on there hands, and this is why its been going Corporate with fewer and fewer quality Truck Stops. Abuse costs these places $ they try to do the right thing and only get sued, this is why we are not allowed on empty lots some Lawyer will Sue for your behalf should you be injured on an empty lot. One less place to park, or we destroy it for ourselves and leave garbage behind.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Some Drivers out there still think that it is the truck stop responsibility to service us , as we pool in .... for free .
its not .
nothing come for free anymore .
the truck stop job is to make money for its share-holders .
its will not spend a dime , unless its a good investment.
power washing the lot , spreading garbaged-cans , windshield washing amenity's ,compressed air for tire check ,coffee(or hot water), rv dump, parking ,security ,free shower ,Ext...
all are costly .
you don't pay for the shower as you fuel...
it is given to you as a service to keep your business .
think it will stay that way forever ?
unfortunately , i see a day , in witch we will be charged for everything we do at the truck stop.
and that day is soon to come .
one also need to see that day as an opportunity for those of as that will be prepared .
Moose.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I read this, and then tonight went for a walk and almost got sick at the smell of other people's pee everywhere. It's just disgusting! We don't even wear our shoes past the front seat of our truck. Who knows and who wants to know what gets on them. I don't touch the doors at the truck stops or bathrooms either. They really should wash them, and not just depend on the rain...lol.

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
From a business point of view . . . and I do have some background in it . . . the truck stops will NEVER install portapottys. Why? Because regardless of how high fuel costs are, they aren't making a huge profit on it. Probably only pennies per gallon. What they are making their profits on is everything you buy in their stores and restaurants. If they were to install portapottys, then you wouldn't have a need to go into their stores as often. Thus, it would cost money to rent portapottys and they would show a net loss in retail sales.

That is no excuse for not washing down the lots however.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Good Point mypie. And others are correct they want to make $ who blames em. Look at the QT in Atlanta now. NO MORE SHOWERS PERIOD.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
truck parking lots don't smell any different then Paris france does think of it being as being contental

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
my first day out i watched from the cab as some old driver who pulled in got out and wet his tires. then he grabbed his yappy dog from the cab and let it leave physical evidence in the grass. he did not pick it up and put the dog back in the cab and then went into the ts. i forgot about this and later saw him inside and asked....didn't think you could make it to pee here? his jaw dropped open. i walked away.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
How many times do you get out of your truck and get over taken by the smell of urine baked into the lot at a truck stop. I find it sickining.All the money we pump into those truck stops,and they neglect the place where we park.It would help if the drivers would stop using it as a tolite.or put some porta johns for those u need to go.So you don,t have water your axle! they want for evryone to get hepatitis.:confused:

To answer the question "Why can't they wash the lots ? " It's environmental reasons . You see them wash the fuel pads . They can do this because the drains have grease traps . If they wash any other part of the lot they are washing grease and oil off the lot to the ground around it . That would make them subject to heavy fines and cleanup costs .

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I worked at a Shell station in high school. It was the normal gas station/ comvience store with a small car wash around back. Every Saturday my main task was washing the lot. After you pick up all the trash inconsiderate people throw on the ground, pull out the hose, wash the lot, and put the hose up the majority of a day is gone. It would take forever to was a lot at a big truckstop like the Petro in West Memphis or Iowa 80 truckstop. Plus you're never going to get around to washing the whole lot because the majority of the parking slots will always be full, and that is where the stinch is coming from I can. I'd almost be willing to put money on it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I feel the problem is not with the truck stops but with the truckers themselves.

Not just p*ssing outside their trucks but dumping p*ss on the ground AND no one wants to take responsibility to call or report these guys.

As I have said before, the industry is thought of as a dirty filthy industry where people who listen to country music, with teeth missing and haven't had a shower in a week are truckers. The entire image is reinforced with that overflowing toilet smell that people pick up on when they go near truck stops.

In order for us, the professionals in this business, to present a better image, we have to insist at the expense of this so called camaraderie that everyone does their job, not just think about it but do something about it. Report the guy/gal who dumps a gallon or two of p*ss on the ground or throws the bottle out the window at the same time make sure that we do the same thing, use the proper facilities.

We are given a place to park; it is something that the companies don’t have to do but do out of courtesy. Whether or not we spend a million dollars on fuel or 500 dollars does not really matter until our house is in order and If we start expecting them to do something for us just because we buy fuel from them, well that is the same thinking that has caused other problems in this industry, we expect. Outside of hauling the freight, the bigger question is do we deserve consideration when we allow bad behavior to continue?

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Its 5 am in the morning at the Petro in Perrysburg ,OH. I am up because I made my delivery an hour ago. I am parked next to a Prime flatbed. The lovely couple from the Prime truck got out and he squirt the dirt in front of the drive tires and she walked way back past my driver door window. I don't know what she did, I was afraid to pull back my side curtain and look. Now I can look back and see a pudle below the trailer. Its a good thing she did not hit her head when she got up from under the trailer because I don't think I could have picked her up if she fell.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The trucking industry (& image) is evolving - slowly, but it's happening already: ie, fresh fruit at the checkout counter.....The thing is, those folks who act like a little exercise will kill them, are gonna find that the opposite is true, eh?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I hope you made note of their truck number and called Prime to report them. I'd say pigs like that should be thrown out except I believe pigs aren't as filthy as that so I don't know what to call them but I'd sure drop a dime on them.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Greg brought up a good point. You can't expect a truckstop to do something for you just because you bought fuel there. Another thing I learned in high school at the gas stations is the places that sale fuel aren't the ones making the profit. My boss told me on several occasions he was lucky to make a penny or two on gas. He said most times he broke even to stay competetive with the other stations around him. That way hopefully people would come in and buy sodas,snacks, and food from the hot deli. That and car washes is where he made his money. He has recently went out of business. That station was opened by his father about fifty years ago I guess. When I see folks like that going under I know things are getting rough.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I hope you made note of their truck number and called Prime to report them. I'd say pigs like that should be thrown out except I believe pigs aren't as filthy as that so I don't know what to call them but I'd sure drop a dime on them.

I was very tired after a 3AM transfer. All I can say is it was a flatbed with a skinny male driver and a female that weighed 350# or more. They were both over 40 years old. Since there is angle parking and he was on the very exposed side, visable to everyone, and in his underwear, I don't think he cared much. They were also parked in the 5th truck from the truckstop door, well within walking distance even for her. I will think about sending Prime an email, bit I am going home to my lake in northern Wisconsin after a month on the road and might get a little sidetracked. I have room on my boat if anyone want to go fishing next week.