Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Owner?

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Own

Any person who decides to drive a cargo van for a fleet owner has got to really be in dire straights. I had a few drivers in my van before I sold it, and none of them had any money. Why would a person with money drive a cargo van and sit in a parking lot for days and days and days? There are only two types of drivers out there; the broke shady dregs of society drivers, and the foreigners. I would much rather have a foreigner in my cargo van than a broke American driver. You have to hold some money over these drivers heads in order to get them to bring your van back to you. But how can you take escrow money from a broke driver? Therein lies the problem! Why don't you make your drivers put up a thousand dollar bank bond? That is one way to ensure you get your van back in one piece. Also, why would you put a full tank of fuel in the van for the driver? Why would anyone hire a driver that is too broke to pay for fuel, or too broke to pay for a meal? That should really send up a red flag shouldn't it? I'm the "Gregory House" of fleet owners lol! You have to approach this business as a misanthropic cynical son of a gun! Never trust the drivers!

Also some owners don't pay there drivers...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Who's decision is it to determin which loads the truck takes, Driver or Fleet Own

Any person who decides to drive a cargo van for a fleet owner has got to really be in dire straights. I had a few drivers in my van before I sold it, and none of them had any money. Why would a person with money drive a cargo van and sit in a parking lot for days and days and days? There are only two types of drivers out there; the broke shady dregs of society drivers, and the foreigners. I would much rather have a foreigner in my cargo van than a broke American driver. You have to hold some money over these drivers heads in order to get them to bring your van back to you. But how can you take escrow money from a broke driver? Therein lies the problem! Why don't you make your drivers put up a thousand dollar bank bond? That is one way to ensure you get your van back in one piece. Also, why would you put a full tank of fuel in the van for the driver? Why would anyone hire a driver that is too broke to pay for fuel, or too broke to pay for a meal? That should really send up a red flag shouldn't it? I'm the "Gregory House" of fleet owners lol! You have to approach this business as a misanthropic cynical son of a gun! Never trust the drivers!
When I leased my taxi plate it was cash up front.... Not this pay as you go ... The owner wanted his cut first! If you slipped and were not ahead he'd yank your plate! None of this nice guy crap!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

I've known plenty of stand up, responsible people driving owners vans.

Exactly...
I would tend to think most problems are from owners not doing their reseach prior to putting the driver in the van...Kind of self inflicted trouble... I made good beer money with that van when it was signed on and on the road.. All but one driver did me good and I wish I still had them...The one that didn't work properly was due to the carrier, after the dispatcher told him he was just a van and was lucky to get any work.. Lasted 5 weeks with carrier.It was a decision we both made to park it.. Every driver moved on and still driving but for themselfs and we understood that would happen if they applied themselfs in this job.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Even with good research your odds increase some but it can be at best a crap shoot... As with anything in life... You make what you think are the right choices and go with it...

Xiggi is is a prime example of one of the better ones now turned owner...:)

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter

I used to work with my driver but he had a bad driving record, rear ended a parked semi and closed I 65N of Indy, In both directions. Nobody would hire him but after he begged me I bought van and got him going. I know what u r thinking but he would not screw me (sarcasm)!! I was planning on driving anyway but not till later. Now I have my wish. He quit once but came back and made excuses then quit again 2 weeks later. I hired his sister as a favor and have learned some hard lessons. I also have a decent income coming in from wife and my retirement so don't depend on expediting only. Maybe we were paying wrong. We took 20% off top and paid driver 60% and us 40%. Driver paid gas only and we paid everything else. I also paid cash bonuses randomly and x-mas birthday etc. Kind of think I am a good guy but someone always lets me know I am not.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Back to topic: I would think it's both the driver and owner's decision. Neither of you should be in this business to lose money, so if you're getting a "Do me a favor and run this off" type of load--- you know somebody is being asked to lose money.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

I am sure some of you owners will not care for this post, but here goes anyway . . . If the driver is an independent contractor, meaning the owner is providing the driver with a 1099 not a W2, then it is the drivers choice as to the loads they want or do not want to accept.
The usual lease rate is 60/40. If the driver is receiving the 60% then the driver should be paying for the fuel and tolls. The driver should receive 60% of bonuses As well as 100% of the fsc. Dead-head is not a bonus. It is money toward the cost of the truck to move to the pick up! if the company pays dead-head to the truck the dead-head should go to the one paying the fuel unless an agreement is made between the two parties that is mutually agreeable. The way ours is set up is our fleet owner receives 20% of the dead-head. We feel this is fair as there is wear and tear on the truck for those miles that are being dead-headed. The truck owner pays the QC, oil changes and repairs.
We have considered buying a truck but since we have a fantastic fleet owner that is very honest and provides excellent equipment, takes care of and fixes any issues we like things the way they are.
The pros of being a driver instead of an owner is we don't have to worry about slow freight, truck payments, up-keep and break-downs, insurance, accidents, ect . . . Our fleet owner has our back and we know it. If something were to happen, one us were to be injured or get sick, we don't have anything financial hanging over us. We make good money and are very happy.
I will say reading the post by some of the owners on here I would most probably buy a truck before leasing with
anyone of you, excluding davek or would quit the industry. We are very fortunate to be were we are, with the owner we are with. Good owners are as hard to get as good drivers are. Some of you are going to eventually get into trouble with the IRS. You cannot have your cake and eat it too so to speak! A suggestion is hire employees and pay them a wage for all the time they spend on the road Instead of leasing your truck to an independent contractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: butterfly610

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

A suggestion is hire employees and pay them a wage for all the time they spend on the road Instead of leasing your truck to an independent contractor.
Seeing that I am an out and back driver, my truck owner makes all those decisions, pays everything, and pays me by the day.

Works for both of us just fine.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Great post... What's not to like?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I think there should be a industry standard pay scale suggested by the carrier to the owner. That would have saved me a lot of headache. Right now this seems pretty legit.

60% to driver 40% to owner (Driver pays Fuel and tolls)

Driver gets 50-60% of all bonuses except hand swap which is 100%
Driver gets paid 100% deadhead and empty move paid
Owner takes $21 a week out for insurance (or whatever amount is)
Owner pays for truck upgrades, repair cost and oil changes/tires etc

Now I'm hearing rumors of similar pay scale plus the owner pays the drivers 100% of all bonuses and personal fuel with a 40% to driver 60% to owner. :rolleyes: And I promise the person paying this has 3-5 cargo vans on the road or more. Say goodbye to the one who wanted to keep it simple and just have one or two vans on the road, he can no longer compete with what the others are offering. The more vans moving the more you can offer. The less well no driver respects a independent mind, no drama, minimalist owner, they're just in it for cash.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Hell I'm just a company driver but I don't understand why some of these drivers complain the way they do, I would be tickled to death to get that kind is pay..I don't get paid for dh or bonuses or anything like that...

These drivers are independent contractors, meaning no benefits, irregular [extremely] schedule, they pay their own taxes/insurance/retirement, get no paid holidays [except Load 1's generosity to drivers on the road on major holidays, but that's a rare class act], and spend weeks or months away from home & family. Because it's expedited, they will often go without proper meals to get the load delivered, as well.
It's a lot of sacrifices that company drivers don't have to make, or think about. I think they deserve to be well paid for it.

Reactions: butterfly610

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter

These drivers are independent contractors, meaning no benefits, irregular [extremely] schedule, they pay their own taxes/insurance/retirement, get no paid holidays [except Load 1's generosity to drivers on the road on major holidays, but that's a rare class act], and spend weeks or months away from home & family. Because it's expedited, they will often go without proper meals to get the load delivered, as well.
It's a lot of sacrifices that company drivers don't have to make, or think about. I think they deserve to be well paid for it.

I'm in the same boat, I don't get any benefits, I pay taxes, no paid holidays, out weeks or months at a time, actually I probably make more sacrifices because I don't get to choose my rate like the majority does but I do go out and do my job and take pride in it and not whine about it or try to take the owner hostage. We as "drivers" need to unite and do something about it because it's not going to change anytime soon. It just irks me when I see certain posts on here taking shots at certain drivers when he didn't even pay his drivers. There's enough freight out here for everyone to make a decent living as long as we stop letting the brokers and carriers low ball us.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Like a lot of professions

Last edited:
Reactions: vandriver2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I'm in the same boat, I don't get any benefits, I pay taxes, no paid holidays, out weeks or months at a time, actually I probably make more sacrifices because I don't get to choose my rate like the majority does but I do go out and do my job and take pride in it and not whine about it or try to take the owner hostage. We as "drivers" need to unite and do something about it because it's not going to change anytime soon. It just irks me when I see certain posts on here taking shots at certain drivers when he didn't even pay his drivers. There's enough freight out here for everyone to make a decent living as long as we stop letting the brokers and carriers low ball us.
Now we've come full circle.... Enough freight at a good rate? That's what's this is all about?

Casper0418

Rookie Expediter

"no driver respects a independent mind, no drama, minimalist owner, they're just in it for cash."

I dont think that last part is entirely accurate. I would appreciate those qualities in a fleet owner. Yes we are in this to get paid too, just like the fleet owners.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that is why I would not drive for some one else
that way no one else has there hand in my pocket

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WHOSE DECISION IS IT WHICH LOADS THE TRUCK TAKES?
Well, that's all cleared up from the Get-Go between Driver and the Vehicle's Owner.
A lengthy, in-person conversation, questions asked/answered and 2 Typewritten Contracts Agreed Upon and Signed.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
WHOSE DECISION IS IT WHICH LOADS THE TRUCK TAKES?
Well, that's all cleared up from the Get-Go between Driver and the Vehicle's Owner.
A lengthy, in-person conversation, questions asked/answered and 2 Typewritten Contracts Agreed Upon and Signed.

Normally, one would assume that since the driver is an independent contractor, then he/she would get to choose. Imagine my surprise when I got a call telling me to take a load. Uh... don't work that way, boss, until you pay half of my SS, along with work comp and unemployment.

Reactions: cheri1122