whos busy

jezzy

Seasoned Expediter
can anyone tell the truth about how many miles there getting a week in a van? im looking to start in a van, im looking 4 a least 400 miles aday or more. or should i buy a str8 truck? whos the best out there without deadheading home? thanks ttyl

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
400 mi/day? You'd be hard to find a solo in a s/t who averages that. Many teams don't even average 400/day.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

targuard86

Expert Expediter
Are you wanting to drive 400 miles a day for 1.00 per mile or would you mind doing 100 miles per day for $4.00 per mile????

Don't focus on miles..........focus on MONEY in your pocket at the end of the week/month/year.

tbc27143

Seasoned Expediter
I don't understand why you guys can't average 400 miles per day unless you are doing a lot of stops. I pulled horse trailers, rv's, boats, etc. and stayed log book legal and drove 600-700 miles a day. It is a matter of staying with it and minimize stops and run the speed limit. I didn't always do that many miles a day, it depends on where you are driving but if I did only 400 miles a day I felt like I had not done my job for the day.

I have a question though that seems to be ignored or nobody knows to ask.

Do any of the van drivers here have there own authority and use a dispatch service or load boards for loads rather than leasing on to a company?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
TBC... 400 mi per day is 2800 mi per week, right? It's not a matter of wanting to do 2800 mi/wk, it's a matter of getting the loads.

What targuard says is true. 2800 mi/wk is nothing if you're running for pennies a mile.

TBC... to answer your question, you're not going to find a lot of one-van authorities on here, unless they have their own customers as well.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
TBC you said "you can't understand why you van guys can't average 400 miles a day." Simply put is they don't get the opportunity to run 400 miles a day unless they want to run empty on their dime. Expediting is a hit or miss segment of the trucking industry. Generally a shipper uses an Expedite Company as a last resort.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Very well put Rich,more people on this site should understand that,its not we cant do the miles,just expedite doesn't offer the miles,thats why the high revenue,unless your on flat rate.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
There are just not enough runs through most load boards for vans. Many single or double skid loads have some quirk that makes them a problem for a van (too high, too long, too heavy, etc). So most vans run through a dispatch or signed on with a company where dispatch asks the various questions for the load.

Example was on Friday I got a call that was stated to be able to fit into a Sprinter (van). The load was 5 skids (48x48x48) plus 2 racks (24x36x24). Now there is not a Sprinter except the cube box on the cab/chasis that can take that load but even that would have been tough as the skids weighed 1000lbs each and the racks were 500 each. So the Sprinter cube would have been maxed out! dispatcher was given wrong info from the customer so there you go. Once things sorted out the load finally was 3 skids for 3000lbs, only the rush rush rush stuff went, the rest sent by transport (cust did not want to pay str8 trk rate for load). No pay for time getting things corrected, lost 1 hour to load.

Getting 400 miles per day is tough. I'm doing all of 200-250. Some days even that is a stretch. Most loads I'm seeing now are shorties. Pays ok by the mile by don't go too far. In fact I'm getting home a lot right now.

Rob Fis

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Ditto. Vans just aren't getting enough loads to average 400 miles a day. If a company existed that offerd that kind of loaded miles..........man I'd be there. Come to think of it, I didn't average that in my D truck.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
It can be done, even in a van.

I averaged about 650 miles last Thursday, 350 miles on Friday, 0 on Saturday, 0 on Sunday, 72 miles on Monday, 32 miles on Tuesday and 450 miles on Wednesday.

Therein is the life of an expediter during a typical 7 day period. During that period I grossed a bit over $2000, so the moral of the story is not necessarily the quantity of miles, but the quality of miles driven.

Intimadator

Seasoned Expediter
I've got two trucks on with Transtewart and neither has run for two weeks now that company has problems I even gave them loads to bid on and they lost them I deadheaded my trucks back home just before July4th and still no loads got to get my own authority and do it my own way

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
to put this in the the words of one of the old moderaters from this site,and former recriuter for one of the companies on here,who came to these jobs from his time as a driver and owner. the expediting buisness is the bandade sqaud to the trucking industry,when the normal companies that handle most of the freight or a shipper screw something up thats when they call us.this is especilly true of the automotive industries.so if your looking to run a consistent 2500 to 3000 miles a week after week and see every nook and crany of this country we call our backyard than you better drop the big bucks for tractor trailer traing and go drive t/t because it wont happen in this buisnes.this is what i was told by scott hancock the first time i ever spoke to him when i was first thinking about this life style,oh yea that was another thing this is not just a job its a lifestyle that requires alot of patience.
and scott if you see this post cause i know you still hop on every now and again hope all is well.
p.s. if you do happen to pop on theres some young guys on this site that could sure use some of your advise on this crazy thing called expediting.

G

terry if you are deleating my questions i want to no why, now answer the question , how many dead head miles and feul cost and other cost and what was your net income, if you cant answer a simple question like that why should anybody beleive what you say?????

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Hanceh:

I deleted your question because I could, and because I didn't like your surly attitude nor your sarcasm toward me in other threads. I started to send you a private message but decided it wasn't worth my time.

So Hanceh, who are you, what is your affiliation with trucking in general and expediting in particular. Are you an owner/operator leased to an expedite carrier? If you have something to offer our membership or have some serious comments or questions, without the sarcasm, then I welcome you here. Keep in mind that we view Expeditersonline as a professional web site maintained by professionals for professionals; it is not a juvenile chat room.

Now back to the content of the Who's Busy? thread. The topic was about being busy, not how much money we earn. My post indicated that sometimes we are busy and sometimes we are not busy and the reader should not necessarily consider miles per day as the measure of profitability in expediting. If you are an expediter, you would, or should, know that.

Now back to your questions. My net income is none of your business. If I knew who you are I might tell you, but you register on EO and start your first posts with "kiss face" sarcasm and demands for information. You'll get the info you want when you deserve it and whether you believe any of my comments or not is of no concern of mine.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
hanceh,
Why would Terry stay with a company 15+ years if he didn't believe in them? I'd think it strange if he DIDN'T promote them.

Let's ease up on the negativity and personal attacks if you wish to continue posting here.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
cdriver hanc is an unusual name. Is it Italian, Slavic, I can't quite place it.

What's that?

Uh-huh...

Oh. Well, you're certainly not the first person to lack the cahonies to be identified with what they post here.

FireGears

Expert Expediter
Hi Terry,

While I'm not defending Hanceh's crass remarks and boorish behavior I was somewhat taken back by this statement from you...

"Keep in mind that we view Expeditersonline as a professional web site maintained by professionals for professionals; it is not a juvenile chat room."

I support this attitude but how does it apply to the
disgusting "Penis" thread being allow to remain
on this professional website...?? :eek:

And it doesn't matter in which Forum it's located...
It's JUVENILE and unprofessional...!!!!
(talk about crass and boorish...)
It does nothing to enhance a positive image
of expediting/expediters.

I understand that you may not be a Mod for all the Forums.
Suggestion...as a member of the ModSquad it might
be appropriate to suggest a higher level of
professionalism at the next staff meeting.

But, that's just me.... :+

Be Well

plus

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Firegears, did you bump your head on one of those fireman, EMT, Engineer rescues? Or, was it a expedite rescue that the bump came? Leave ALL those things alone in your crotch, it's a good thing.

FireGears

Expert Expediter
x06...

Thanks for the post showing the world
"your brain on drugs"...

Suggestion...
Try again when you sober up.. :+

Be Well

plus