who taught you to drive?? what did you learn?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
here is my complaint.....left turners. when i was taught back in the dark ages when seat belts were just entering the scene, i was taught to pull I-N-T-O the intersection to make the turn.

when did it become sit-timidly-behind-the-crosswalk-until-oncoming-traffic-clears-letting-the-light-turn-yellow-then-drive-thru-the-yellow.

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Having a bad day?

It took me a while to get used to the flashing red lights they have here in left turn lanes---that and the infamous "Michigan left" turnarounds.

My old gripe used to be people starting out before the light had turned green. You could see them looking at the light the crossing traffic was using and as soon as it turned yellow they started creeping out. Saw it all the time around Cleveland.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
Or the ones that stay way back of the line at the intersection so as not to trigger the left turn light.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
here is my complaint.....left turners. when i was taught back in the dark ages when seat belts were just entering the scene, i was taught to pull I-N-T-O the intersection to make the turn..

Hmm. Somebody has had a bit too much coffee today.
Of all the things that drivers do out there that are mindless and dangerous, this is the one that makes you go ARRGHHHHHH?

If you were taught to pull out into an intersection in order to position your vehicle for the left turn when traffic clears then this is probably the acceptable way of handling that situation in the state where you were trained.

I do not believe that this situation is directly addressed in any state drivers manual. The closest instruction comes from the NYDOT where they provide an example:

Example: You want to turn left at an intersection ahead. A vehicle is
approaching from the opposite direction, going straight ahead. You must wait
for approaching traffic to go through before you turn. You may enter the
intersection, however, to prepare for your left turn if the light is green and
no other vehicle ahead of you is preparing for a left turn (see "Turns" later
in this chapter). When you enter the intersection, stay to the right of the
center line. Keep your wheels straight to avoid being pushed into oncoming
traffic should a rear-end collision occur. When approaching traffic clears or
stops for a red light, complete your turn.[/quote]

This would appear to indirectly support your method of handling these left turn situations; however, if you are stuck out there until your light turns red and you continue your left turn at that point it may be left up to the interpretation of the law enforcement officer.

when did it become sit-timidly-behind-the-crosswalk-until-oncoming-traffic-clears-letting-the-light-turn-yellow-then-drive-thru-the-yellow.

This certainly seems like a more cautious approach to the situation. It keeps the driver from getting stuck out in the intersection and needing to make a left turn against a red light.
You consider it to be timid behavior while others may consider it to be a safe and prudent way to handle the turn.
No clear answer on this from me but I do have to wonder why this particular non issue gets your ire up?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
In MA a green arrow indicates a one way street where you can't turn left . When I moved to AR I came close to getting wrecked entering an intersection when I had a green arrow because there a green arrow permits a right turn on red .

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I learned to drive in Tucson AZ and Bob learned to drive in rural Kansas and it drives me nuts on how he handles stop lights. He very seldom pulls out into the intersection to make a left hand turn and he does not time lights well to come to a stop. I also believe it has a lot to do with how you learned to drive and where you learned to drive.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
I learned to drive in Tucson AZ and Bob learned to drive in rural Kansas and it drives me nuts on how he handles stop lights. He very seldom pulls out into the intersection to make a left hand turn and he does not time lights well to come to a stop. I also believe it has a lot to do with how you learned to drive and where you learned to drive.

I learned how to drive in Nebraska in a 1959 Rambler so therefore I know everything and make no mistakes while driving. I also am an excellent backseat driver, just ask my wife.lol

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
This would appear to indirectly support your method of handling these left turn situations; however, if you are stuck out there until your light turns red and you continue your left turn at that point it may be left up to the interpretation of the law enforcement officer.

This certainly seems like a more cautious approach to the situation. It keeps the driver from getting stuck out in the intersection and needing to make a left turn against a red light.
You consider it to be timid behavior while others may consider it to be a safe and prudent way to handle the turn.
No clear answer on this from me but I do have to wonder why this particular non issue gets your ire up?

if a driver is in an intersection and the light changes chances are the police will not ticket someone who HAS to make the turn after the light is red. making a turn from behind the crosswalk when the light turns red is wrong.

i agree on the procedure, wheels strt bla bla bla but get the car into the intersection. is that asking so much? really is it too much to expect? or should oi nave no expectations of other drivers?

if you cannot properly make a left turn(and it is my opinion) then take a bus!

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Hey 2cats I bet your wife has the same opinion about your backseat instructs as my lady has about mine!! LOL!!!
Rob

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm right there with ya, Jack. If you are waiting to turn left, and when your time comes to turn, either because there are no cars coming or because the light has turned to yellow and then red, if you have to move forward even a foot before turning the wheels to the left, you aren't far enough out into the intersection. If you're where you ought to be while waiting to make that turn, then you and at least one other vehicle should be able to make that turn on the yellow (the comedian Gallagher has a great bit on that, where he shows how three cars should be able to make that turn).

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I am a Tennessee trained driver and I go i-n-t-o the intersection. I do it just like described by the NYDOT example given above. One car at a time is all I like to see out there, unless you can see a break in trafficc that would allow more cars to turn. I try to read each intersection as I approach. But when in doubt, stay behind the line. And a patrol car at an opposing street is always a deterent to any of the above. As we all now know, they make up the laws as they see fit.