Who takes the least out of your check??

chipoo82

Seasoned Expediter
Is there any company out there for a team van that doesn't take a lot out of your check each week?
I work for one now that all I need is liability/bob tail insurance. They cover my cargo and there is no other deductions. (they do not have trackers on us)

I went to orientation with one company not long ago and they were going to take around $100 out of my check each week for various things. After waiting 2 weeks for our first load we left them.

All I want is to work. Not set around for weeks with no offers! and then owe for deductions when I have not even run!

Please post if you know of a good company. I am happy to pay a few deductions but not $100+ with no loads each week!

Thanks for any help!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Suggest you make some calls or go to expo. Most companies want 30$ a week for qc. Say 25$ea for occ/acc and then the inevitable slush fund for repairs. Brokers don't have any of those charges.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some have the escrow that needs to be funded, especially the ones with the Qualcomm. You can have that deducted at like $50 a week, or just fully fund it from the beginning in cash.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With a QC type carrier..you are looking at over $100 a week with a team operation...35 for QC...25 EACH occ/health....bobtail ins...and the escrow fund...now IF you live in a state that does not require Occ/health that brings it down by almost half...

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Let's see there's the goverment,my wife,my kid's ect... so i guess I take the least out of my check!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would be looking for the company that is going to leave me the most profit after expenses. That could be a company with high deductions for some people.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Here I go again .... it's not about miles, (deductions), it's about money!

Who puts the most IN my settlement, the fact there may be a few deductions is simply a cost of doing business.

That said, any company that seems to be making up their losses from MY revenue is not one I wish to be associated with.

That OCC insurance thingy? Landstar insists contractors have it, irregardless if your state does not require it. (Such as my home state of Ohio).

And it's not a bad idea, several years ago I went down with a knee injury. Had I not had such insurance from Jones Motor, I would have most likely lost my tractor and trailer. As it was, it made the payments for 8 weeks as I recovered.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here I go again .... it's not about miles, (deductions), it's about money!

Who puts the most IN my settlement, the fact there may be a few deductions is simply a cost of doing business.

That said, any company that seems to be making up their losses from MY revenue is not one I wish to be associated with.

That OCC insurance thingy? Landstar insists contractors have it, irregardless if your state does not require it. (Such as my home state of Ohio).

And it's not a bad idea, several years ago I went down with a knee injury. Had I not had such insurance from Jones Motor, I would have most likely lost my tractor and trailer. As it was, it made the payments for 8 weeks as I recovered.

I opted out of OCC...I guess it is a roll the dice kind of deal....being off work would be a blessing to me....getting paid would be a perk that isn't really necessary...I hate ins. companies

coppertone

Active Expediter
With a QC type carrier..you are looking at over $100 a week with a team operation...35 for QC...25 EACH occ/health....bobtail ins...and the escrow fund...now IF you live in a state that does not require Occ/health that brings it down by almost half...

I guess I don't get it. If you are an O/O why would a company require you to have Occ. Ins.. Everything is on your dime already, so if you want to take the risk and not carry the insurance that should be up to you. I personally would want it, but it should be an option. Guess I'll find out more at the Expo.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Simple its in the contract you sign to lease on with them. Like at LEAM you either go for the deductions or you don't get to lease on with LEAM. Some of what they want you to get might be cheaper on the open market..

Been dealing with Landstar since 1996 minus the last 2 years, its been the rule since I've been there.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I guess I don't get it. If you are an O/O why would a company require you to have Occ. Ins.. Everything is on your dime already, so if you want to take the risk and not carry the insurance that should be up to you. I personally would want it, but it should be an option. Guess I'll find out more at the Expo.

One reason: Liability. It keeps you off of the liability insurance, should an accident occur with an under insured motorist. In the case of a work related, non-driving incident, you are off of the GL policy.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Premium Transportation Logistics takes absolutely NOTHING, NADDA, ZERO, ZILCH from the settlements of our contractors (ready for the fine print?) except for your $1000 Escrow which occurs at every company to cover insurance deductible. The Escrow is taken $100 a week for ten weeks until YOUR escrow contains the $1,000.

We do not use QC's. You are free to obtain your Non-trucking Liability insurance from whatever company you choose (and they send you the monthly bills direct). You obtain your physicals and required DOT regulated drug screens from the facility of your choice (since you pay for them). We do not charge any sort of administrative, paperwork processing, signage or other fees. Period. Nothing we do is to make money off of our contractors other than when their truck is running loaded.

Visit us at Booth #139 at the Expedite Expo.

Thanks,

John Mueller, CDS
HotFr8Recruiter

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Premium Transportation Logistics takes absolutely NOTHING, NADDA, ZERO, ZILCH from the settlements of our contractors (ready for the fine print?) except for your $1000 Escrow which occurs at every company to cover insurance deductible. The Escrow is taken $100 a week for ten weeks until YOUR escrow contains the $1,000.

We do not use QC's. You are free to obtain your Non-trucking Liability insurance from whatever company you choose (and they send you the monthly bills direct). You obtain your physicals and required DOT regulated drug screens from the facility of your choice (since you pay for them). We do not charge any sort of administrative, paperwork processing, signage or other fees. Period. Nothing we do is to make money off of our contractors other than when their truck is running loaded.

Visit us at Booth #139 at the Expedite Expo.

Thanks,

John Mueller, CDS
HotFr8Recruiter

Oh my! How on earth could you ever run a company like that? lol