Which way to go???

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
An A cdl is simply one more tool. Jes like a lift gate, 110 inch door, extra capacity, pallet jack, e-trac, etc.. Depends if you want to be bothered or not.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What more you should know,running team in expediting is a plus,both in a straight truck and tractor trailer.Loads that go 600 miles,even though you may be able to do this as a solo,those loads will be given to teams.
Having a class A will give you more choice in what you can drive,and there are many companies in the truck load areas that you could make 65k a year or more running solo driving their equipment,you will be pressed to do this as a solo driver or owner driver in expediting

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Man i am so pumped you replied, hell phil your one of the reasons i want to get in this biz.

You shoulda been pumped. The Guy's done it properly. His success is not an accident. With the ateam, you get to explore how the process works and the many pitfalls ahead. The documention [blog] adds credibility so there's no doubting....they are truly in the business. If I was you, I'd wanna learn from someone who's out there on the road. Not someone typing up stuff from home. From a solo drivers point of view, x06col's done the business from a drivers seat, his advice is totally honest.

Good luck, Man

Last edited:

nobread

Seasoned Expediter
So what happened???? First and foremost thanks to xo60col man i am truly flattered by you kind words my friend. I will say this has been the best site i have ever seen with helping new cats like myself. Now i already owned a e-250 extnd van and thought why spend the money on a truck just hit the road and see if you like it?? I was offered a contract for good money,and waiting to here back from them. I was also offered a driving job as well of which was very cool of that gentleman. So as it stands waiting to here back from (###) and see if i like this crazy trucking world from a c/v. If not just might take that job driving for someone?? time will tell. Need to get through the holidays first. Will let you all know what happens.

Happy Holidays :)

nobread

Seasoned Expediter
So this is the first week under the contract and ummmm still waiting to be dispatched..... I will let ya know how it goes..:D

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
So this is the first week under the contract and ummmm still waiting to be dispatched..... I will let ya know how it goes..:D

So, whom did ya contract to??? Best of luck starting off in the s.lo..w..es..t time of year. Don't be disheartend, keep ya chin up. You been there done that.

nobread

Seasoned Expediter
small company out of detroit, but just talked to another guy who wrote me on here. he told me to ditch the cargo van and buy a d truck and i would have work already...... something to think about.
nope not down at all i know this is s...l....o...w... for every line of work.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Slow times?

Not here. I have a confirmed run on the QC and I have been called a dozen times since I got up this morning - not slow for us little trucks.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
After reading all your posts, why don't you want to name the "small company out of Detroit"?

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
So i thought i would take a step forward.....but??? I called a recruiter today to find rates for 22 ft st trk and to my shock she said 95 c and i pay for fuel.... I dont know but it sure seems to me this industry likes to cut off its nose to despite its face??
I dont know rates but it seems low??

.95 is very low

nobread

Seasoned Expediter
Well decided to sell the c/v and ???? wait i guess, seems like this outfit does not accept truck over 26 k gvw ?? What ever man.
I think i will wait this whole trucking thing out for now...:confused:

bulldogmbm

Seasoned Expediter
So i have done what you asked and done a ton of reading, sure
seems like a high turn over rate in this industry. And i can see why.
Not everyone wants to be gone, i get that. My thoughts were (and albeit i am new) that if you put your nose to the grind stone and get the miles in???? Life would be good?

yes BUT what are u going to do when u put ur nose to the grindstone and dont go anywhere i have found that out here the best laid plans cant be planned cuz just when u think u got it under control it changes being gone is only maybe a 3rd of it losing the fear of the unknowing really helps

nobread

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't say that?? I just do not want to be in a c/v .
No offense to the c/v drivers but i would rather buy a class 8 and be done with it and go from there. but these folks only want a class 6 and. I am going to keep looking.

Dispatcher03

Not a Member
Basically from my standpoint, What it comes down to is liability. If you are going to say be an O/O, then you need to consider the revenue/liability ratio. Cargo van drivers have cheaper repairs on their vehicle, and maintenance of course, but make less. Whereas, Big truck drivers make more, but have more liability. You can find a driver with an old crappy truck making less than a cargo van driver im sure due to repairs and maintenance. But, at the same time, if you get a brand new truck or close to it, then obviously its going to put a lot more into the savings before it starts giving you problems, hence putting you ahead of the aforementione scenario.