Which Way Do I Go?

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Well I got a cargo van, insurance and and some cash for gas and road living. Started going through a list of 20 different carriers and am really confused. I want to make the right decision for me and my family.

Originally, I was thinking about finding 4 to 6 carriers that allowed drivers to work for others and have more eyes working for me and have greater flexibility and then work down to my favorite 2 or 3.

I know there are a lot of you that work for carriers that are exclusive and dont allow you to work for others. But you seem very happy and I don't want to exclude myself from a good company because of a preconceived idea. I have offers to work for both types of companies and it's decision time.

What say the experienced, been there done that, crowd?

Thanks All!
Rich

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There's really no way to run for that many companies. Three is about all anyone can handle at one time. Maybe we have a couple super-vanners who say they can handle four.

They all have different communication, tracking, and paperwork policies, and if you get a run from one, you've got to call the others to go off the board and tell them where you'll be and when you'll be there. Any more than three is just unworkable. Maybe if they all used text messages or email to communicate, that would be another matter, but right now, it's a hodgepodge.

Also, there are days that the phone rings non-stop with bids, and if you tell company A you want them to bid on the load they just told you about, that means you've got to tell the others you can't bid until you find out about your bid with company A. If you tell company A to bid on a load for you and then you take a load from company E, company A will not take kindly to you disappearing on them after they just got you a load.

So three is really the most that's workable, and even that's a handful.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think it really depends on your level of experience. I think the more experienced guys make the multiple carrier idea work better than someone without experience. I believe it is better for a newbie to have the perks and company support of working with a carrier like FedEx, Panther, Bolt, etc. There are just so many variables that come into play for your success that you need a company to more or less hold your hand. That isn't an insult as I am doing the same thing right now even though I have worked as a driver before it is very different in expediting and any benefit you can get you should take. I don't know how much money you have saved but going with a company that gives you a Comdata card is a huge benefit so you can save your cash for breakdowns or other expenses.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks guys

I see the benefits of both and I guess I can always change my mind as I learn. Having someone walk me through the process is a definate advantage of an exclusive carrier. I am really leaning toward working wih a few different carriers, I think it's a better fit for my future plans. But hey I have been wrong a lot in my life....

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Unless things have changed I don't see the advantage of a Comdata card. If you don't have computer access your charged to see your balance, your charged to take money out at a ATM on top of the ATM owners fee. Plus there is an article from a couple of months ago in Land Line magazine about drivers Comdata cards being "hacked into" Comdata denies they are at fault.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Pick one company, start with them and stick with them for a year, then ask again.

You will have a completely different outlook after a year of running and more of an idea of what to ask.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Pick one company, start with them and stick with them for a year, then ask again.

You will have a completely different outlook after a year of running and more of an idea of what to ask.

I would have to agree with Greg on sticking to just one carrier. It also depends on where you live. Do your home work on this site before you choose a carrier.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've done both and find the saying,"you can't serve 2 masters" to be true.at least in my case.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the advice all! Signed on with 2 carriers and think I can work it.

Just got dispatched my first load ever! gotta get some sleep, leaving in 4 hours. (Probably wont be able to sleep until the Tigers beat the Yankees!)

See ya out there

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Glad you're enjoying it, but the worm WILL turn. Make sure you have things onboard to do when you're stuck somewhere for days with barely a whiff of freight. Those days will come.