Which State is best to relocate to?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm w/ you on this one. I visited Orlando a couple of years ago for a week during the winter. Traffic was so bad that I was like "F-it, I'd rather deal w/ the snow." :D

Guess that works out then, a balance. I would never live around Atlanta again, I hate hot weather. Atlanta is too crowded too. Shoot where I live is too crowded and there are only 10 houses. More people live in the cemetery than in the rest of the township. Nope, big cites just suck.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
North Central Florida, near I 10 and I 75. Property is cheap, crime is low, taxes are low and it's like moving back 30 years in time and attitude.
Seasons do change here. Winter temps drop into the teens.
Florida has no state income tax. Sales tax in this area is 6.5%. State sales tax is 6%
Roads are in great condition.
But, Florida has no rolling stock exemption. If you buy a truck, you will pay sales tax on it.
Florida has the Sunshine Law, which means all government records are open to the public. It's hard to have corrupt politicians because anyone can go and search through all the records. No closed door back room meetings.
If I had to pick from the list I would stay in Mass. Out of the pan and into the fire comes to mind.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
newtrucker;427691 Any insight regarding the pros and cons of these 3 states would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE said:
Welcome to EO, Newtrucker. Where you can find the answers to your questions, even the ones you didn't ask, lol. [Tn? Ga? Fl?] :confused:
I've lived in Oh most of my life, and dislike it. But it's just like carriers: what makes me happy might annoy you, so it's all according to personal preference. The 3 you mention would allow you to get home more, even if just briefly, but since that's not a priority for me, I'd prefer to live in a warmer climate.
Choose what works for you.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stay away from Ohio. Lived there all my life and I'm ready to get out of Dodge. Recent politics have made me ashamed to be here.:(

Funny, that's how I feel about here in Michigan, Nice place to visit, but I don't want to live here any more :(

wimpy007

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
US Army
One place you DO NOT WANT to move too is Illinois, HIGH HIGH Taxes, bad politicians, just to name a few. I agree with the Tenn. vote.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now we're veering into Soapbox territory, ['s ok, they'll move it;)] but it brings up a question: why are all the calls for less spending [justified!] directed at workers below midlevel management? Why does no one ask what is being spent for those closer to the top of the pay scale, bennies [insurance, stock options, travel, staff]?
It troubles me that the common impulse is to drag some down, while ignoring those far higher up - why can't we expect that everyone who works for a living be paid enough to live a decent, [though modest] life? Why do the 'necessary cuts' always [and only] involve programs and services not needed by those making the decisions?
Don't even get me started on the 'business friendly' approach - businesses have shown quite clearly how much they appreciate the favors, IMO.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
i for one choose michigan.....been here most of my life. economy sucks, but we know that.. so i say yes to michigan.....LOL

Hey denny, like your troop quote. I am going to repost on another site. Will get alot of good comments.
Thanks cranis..

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Tennessee is great, very beautiful and no state income tax. Also with I40 going though it, it has always been easy for me to get a quick load out after being home a few days.

Indiana isn't too bad, cost of living is really low, but Tennessee would be my choice, milder weather than we have and mountains, and it's beautiful....It's too flat here!!!

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Born and raised and still living in the Flint, MI area, I have to say: Tennessee.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Indiana isn't too bad, cost of living is really low, but Tennessee would be my choice, milder weather than we have and mountains, and it's beautiful....It's too flat here!!!

I still live in Tn, its green, mountainious, fishing, I 40 i24 I75,i59, hang gliding,river racing,great fishing,lots of boating here, and bass tournaments, and no gators or sharks, well not yet anyway and great motorcycle area too with a million places:D to ride ..........................

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Well stated. It seems like a great state. Really the only bad thing about Tennessee that I could think of would be having to listen to Rockytop all the time. I remember when they crushed us-football here, basketball doesn't count- that song went thru my head like a bad nightmare.

I still live in Tn, its green, mountainious, fishing, I 40 i24 I75,i59, hang gliding,river racing,great fishing,lots of boating here, and bass tournaments, and no gators or sharks, well not yet anyway and great motorcycle area too with a million places:D to ride ..........................

jpalmer

Seasoned Expediter
Oklahoma City

Up until about a year ago I thought OKC was a run down oil town. Was totally wrong. OKC is growing really fast. the downtown area is awesome with Bricktown. They are building the Devon Tower downtown. 50 story 850 foot building.

I might be moving there this year. I am getting tired of Dallas Fort Worth traffic and the pace of life......

City Population 580,000
Metro 1.2 Million

You get everything that a large city allows but without the fast pace of life and traffic.

Oklahoma City was ranked at the top for recession proof cities too I think. The only down side is. Their booze is only 3% proof or something.

I do love Texas, Best state to live in the nation. Great BBQ sexy ladies and plenty of beer.

I moved to DFW from Iowa 7 years ago. Seems like its gotten worse on the traffic side. But, That comes with massive growth. It wouldn't surprise me if Ft Worth hits a million people in 5 years. I live right off of N Loop 820 in North Richland Hills. I don't wanna be around here when they start the North Tarrant Express. That is going to be one giant cluster F...lol

gatorfan068

Active Expediter
Michigan taxes suck and the roads are really bad. The people in Michigan are rude.Their motto "get the hell outta my way". Ohio sucks,born and raised there....SE Ohio is nice where the Amish are.Indiana I always heard was expensive. Northern Ohio is the best for freight lanes. Me myself I love the south.Southern girls are the best.Expedited freight may go south,but sucks coming back.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yes Gator, we are rude and don't like outsiders. We have some of the best rebuilt roads in the world, they come pre-pot holed and crumbling apart before the cement is cured (point in case I75 north before the "bridge to canada" has a huge section of cement that is becoming a car black hole and it was pored last year).

We are one of the worst drivers in the country, the worst ones than us are not what people seem to think - NYC cabbies - but rather Canadian truck drivers who like to use off ramps as passing lanes (had three of them yesterday do that to me).

We have the worst tax system in the world, most of what we do with the money is give it to Detroit for weird projects like the Motown historical museum of coney dogs or the another mural of frickn' dolphins and whales. Our new governor has discovered $100 million in an environmental fund (Layout you reading this?) and has decided to use that money for other things, like some more projects for Detroit like $3 million for the Coleman A Young memorial and car wash.

IF I had to relocate, I still would pick Indiana. It seems even with the problems they have, there is more work there than it will be here and they don't have a governor who keeps repeating the phrase "we all must deal with a shared sacrifice".

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes Gator, we are rude and don't like outsiders. We have some of the best rebuilt roads in the world, they come pre-pot holed and crumbling apart before the cement is cured (point in case I75 north before the "bridge to canada" has a huge section of cement that is becoming a car black hole and it was pored last year).

We are one of the worst drivers in the country, the worst ones than us are not what people seem to think - NYC cabbies - but rather Canadian truck drivers who like to use off ramps as passing lanes (had three of them yesterday do that to me).

We have the worst tax system in the world, most of what we do with the money is give it to Detroit for weird projects like the Motown historical museum of coney dogs or the another mural of frickn' dolphins and whales. Our new governor has discovered $100 million in an environmental fund (Layout you reading this?) and has decided to use that money for other things, like some more projects for Detroit like $3 million for the Coleman A Young memorial and car wash.

IF I had to relocate, I still would pick Indiana. It seems even with the problems they have, there is more work there than it will be here and they don't have a governor who keeps repeating the phrase "we all must deal with a shared sacrifice".

I totaly agree and couldn't say it better.

However, with that said, remember nobody else has Bates, Brays, or Tel-Way hamburgers.
:rolleyes:

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
Well illinois is bad but at least we send our corupt governors to jail when they done stealing all our money. In fact Illinois could be a great place? We propose to give Indiana or wisconsin chicago for nothing. They can have all those sport teams just gotta take chicago with u. Than illinois could elect decent people and not have chicago goofballs over ride us.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Illinois has Oprah, which I wouldn't wish that on Bin Laden. You need to do something about that first.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Been in Ohio for far too long, but thats where the kids are...from your list, Indiana would be my choice....

simdog20

Seasoned Expediter
greg with oprah being chicago and all she part of deal. if i remember right they shut down trafic around the city for her show.