Which carrier pays the most, keeps you busy, values drivers and low weekly fees?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
OK, just to be clear, I track every dollar in and out on a spreadsheet on a daily basis. I am an LLC taxed as a Sub S and as such every penny is accounted for. We draw salaries. The #'s I put out here are for conversation. My point bei g, the bottom line is the bottom line and it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you know you're there! And, P&L aside, the only real measurement in business is cash flow.

Reactions: Mailer and ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And, P&L aside, the only real measurement in business is cash flow.
... said the president of Flying J, just before he was forced to sell to Pilot.

Revenue and cash flow is great, as long as it doesn't cost you too much to generate it. If your DH is more than about 30% then you're probably losing money, regardless of the cash flow. If you track all dollars in and out on that spreadsheet, then you are tracking your Cost Per Mile as well. If you're not figuring in the CPM, then you aren't tracking all dollars out.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I try not to over worry myself about cost anymore. When you do the math it depresses me. I try to keep my DH as low as possible, trying to bring my life on the road expenses down as much as possible and pay my bills throughout the month (well most of them anyways lol) besides, aliens are going to take over earth soon anyways. I have a reliable source that said they're bringing Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa back with them.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My best month was Feb. of every year there .... never broke the 10,000 pm in a month there.... averaged 6500 pm a month over each year ..... now i average about 9500 pm a month ... and i am home more in Iowa....

You're cheating, because your carrier is paying all of your deadhead miles/empty moves. That has to account for a few thousand more miles per month. Most carriers do not pay the full rate for deadhead miles/relocation miles. :)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter

Revenue and cash flow is great, as long as it doesn't cost you too much to generate it. If your DH is more than about 30% then you're probably losing money, regardless of the cash flow.

You mean like that?
I don't understand, I was just told last week there is no reason I couldn't make money @ $.50 a mile?
What am I missing here:confused:

Attachments

• 1454473875443.jpg
    1454473875443.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 66

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Your Driver ID is RAWJO?

That's pretty badass right there. :spiderman:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're cheating, because your carrier is paying all of your deadhead miles/empty moves. That has to account for a few thousand more miles per month. Most carriers do not pay the full rate for deadhead miles/relocation miles. :)
cuz he ain't normal..:p.....his carrier runs a completely different model....his loaded miles and ALL miles are almost identical. he s living the good life...:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try not to over worry myself about cost anymore. When you do the math it depresses me. I try to keep my DH as low as possible, trying to bring my life on the road expenses down as much as possible and pay my bills throughout the month (well most of them anyways lol) besides, aliens are going to take over earth soon anyways. I have a reliable source that said they're bringing Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa back with them.
I've always said in here I don't do numbers.....all the bills are paid, a roof over my head and I have money leftover in my pocket...I must be doing something right after over 15 years....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

But You are Driving those miles anyway ...why not get paid for them ... as for empty moves i have had 3 as of a year (feb. 5th) .. and in most cases the DH is less than 20% and NO more negotiating on pay ... now its ... Pleasant phone call ... sent you over a load ...miles,pieces,weight, pickup time , have a safe trip .. ... Less stress .... more miles paid ... more money for Wife .. Happy Wife ... Happy Life
cuz he ain't normal..:p.....his carrier runs a completely different model....his loaded miles and ALL miles are almost identical. he s living the good life...:)
And yes my All mile pay at Bolt averaged .75 a mile .... and now its over .83 a mile ..

Yes ...No more chasing freight
No more dead-heading on almost all my own money ...
And a friend of mine was leased on at Bolt for 5 years and satisfied there like i was for 4.5 years ... now has been at RRE for just over 3 months and he told me he has made more money than previous 5 months at Bolt ...