Which carrier pays the most, keeps you busy, values drivers and low weekly fees?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really have heard good things about bolt express these days, I heard the weekly fees can be cut to under $50 with the new smart phone tracking qual comm on its way out! Looking to get back in part/full time and run some loads coast to coast in my Sprinter 158. Any advice on carriers that have low fees and busy enough to get good long runs out west and into Laredo? I run Canada and lower 48.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know who gave you the Bolt cup of Kool-aid ... but i would dump it out .... i stopped by the Bolt office on Sunday to catch up with some old Semi drivers i know there and about a dozen Van or Sprinter-type vans were sitting there NOT under loads .... most had been averaging 1200 miles a week and most were short mile loads ..... there is a select Few there that get consistant Laredo loads .... But one can only guess where they place their Lips ..... there is one poster on EO that seems to stay busy Doing it the right way ..(WOM ) ... maybe he will respond .... by the way i did spend 4 years there ... but never go back... jmo

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've not been in the business long enough to give any info on said subject but reading what I've read HERE & talking to all the expediters I've met over the road, seems the majority of them like to jump ship quite often til they find their nitch & or grow tired of searching for that perfect fit. Me personally I been in it a lil' over 4 months & pull 1,500-2,000 miles per week and in January was pulling closer to 2,500 a week while on a good streak & I work for a tiny outfit that seems to treat us fair as most I've seen out here. Just my quiet, humble lil' opinion. Good luck friend.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Low weekly fees is key to me and couple good long hauls. I'll sit in Detroit or Charlotte/ATL and wait for a good one ;) I can deal with a few short runs that get you to the cities where the long ones originate! .90 a mile also is crucial or am I old school... I sometimes have a tendency to put myself in cities where a long haul is the only option out.

ntimevan do you suspect that will be the same story come mid March or April? Keeping on the hibernation until then.

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Bolt is about $50 a week deductions AFTER you satisfy $100 in escrow and pay the initial sign on fees. They do OK by me but like ntimevan says, if I did leave I wouldn't go back. I am always in service unless I am home in Jersey. When I ran solo I did 1500 - 2000, now as a team I average 2500+. I also can take 3 skids which got me 3 jobs last week out of 8 total.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Low weekly fees is key to me and couple good long hauls. I'll sit in Detroit or Charlotte/ATL and wait for a good one ;) I can deal with a few short runs that get you to the cities where the long ones originate! .90 a mile also is crucial or am I old school... I sometimes have a tendency to put myself in cities where a long haul is the only option out.

ntimevan do you suspect that will be the same story come mid March or April? Keeping on the hibernation until then.
My best month was Feb. of every year there .... never broke the 10,000 pm in a month there.... averaged 6500 pm a month over each year ..... now i average about 9500 pm a month ... and i am home more in Iowa....

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I grossed 11 thousand dollars in six weeks when I first started with Bolt. I was running so hard I had to beg for sleep. That was back in my hay day in 2010. What I loved about bolt coming over from Panther is that they don't complicate things. They call you, ask you if you want the load, then they dispatch you. There are no percentage games, no holding your truck without you knowing about it, and no swapping of loads. The only complaint I had with Bolt is that they would call you with loads when you are out of service. Why would any company bid loads for a truck that is out of service? What if that driver is at a doctors appointment, or a funeral? Other than that, I only turned down one load in the 8 months I was with them. I also liked being able to negotiate the rates. I once got a dollar a mile to go down to Laredo because I knew I would be deadheading back out like I always do when I go down there. I don't know how things are these days, but I liked it there.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Bolt pay seems good, but, there is no standard formula. Basically, they call and say they have a load, I'm 56 miles out, it's 340 miles loaded and pays $325. When you get pay message it breaks it into DH, LM, FSC but never in anyway that points to a system, but, it always adds up to the $325. I just take what I make each week and divide it by Loaded Miles only and it is always around $1 per LM.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bolt pay seems good, but, there is no standard formula. Basically, they call and say they have a load, I'm 56 miles out, it's 340 miles loaded and pays $325. When you get pay message it breaks it into DH, LM, FSC but never in anyway that points to a system, but, it always adds up to the $325. I just take what I make each week and divide it by Loaded Miles only and it is always around $1 per LM.
your sample....is 396 ALL miles divide $325 = .82 per mile....which is about normal....

Reactions: Mailer and ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Using loaded miles only as a way to figure pay is fast path to broke.
Not to disagree with you , because you are usually spot on, but whether you count it on your fingers or your toes it's still $325, doesn't matter how you got there. Bolt does not do paid moves, pays .00¢ first 50 deadhead and only .10¢ after that. Many times they say there is NO deahhead pay and you take it or leave it. So, the only consistent comparison week to week is LM and net pay

Reactions: ntimevan and Mailer

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Using loaded miles only as a way to figure pay is fast path to broke.

That is my thinking but you would be amazed at some that will take anything and then say "you should be happy with anything offered". lol I think I read that somewhere recently on FB. SMH.

Reactions: xiggi