Where do you park your truck?

ACW4478

Expert Expediter
I know some of us don't live in rural areas where there aren't any codes and regulations concerning parking commercial vehicles in your driveway. I live in suburban Columbus, OH and currently park my van in the driveway in front of my house(not able to pull into garage due to the qualcom height) but I know it's just a matter of time before the code enforcement officer pays me a visit. Just curious where some of you park.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can park anything on my property except a trailer. Tractors are permitted and so are striaght trucks, as long as they do not block driveways or impede the road including someone backing out of thier driveway.

Now I may be moving to my Dad's house next year, no commercial vehicles are supposed to be on the street at night but they overlook vans. Tractors, no way.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the van is equipped with signs, he may have a problem. It is unfair that someone can park their high-top conversion van without a problem, but someone with company signage would have a problem. I know a guy who lives in a condo that had magnets made up to cover his signs. If they hassle you, try that.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also go to rv place and get a plastic cover for your clink and cover it up and nobody will know you have clink, when i had my western star
had a friend who had a shop and parted it there, in return help him every once in while pick up parts or ans phone for keeping my truck there and he did some of maintance on the truck in return for parting the truck there, that is one of things that should be put on list for starting out where do you part etc in your town

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Some folks in your situation have been successful in satisfying home owners indentures of restriction, or local truck parking codes. They buy magnetic sign material, paint a matching color of the van and put over carrier logos when parked in no commercial areas

Another thing you might consider is alluded to above. Buy a cheap roof vent; the hinged lid type. Remove the Qualcomm antenna and antenna mount and set them aside. Cut a hole in the roof as described in the vent installation instructions. If there is a fan and motor with the vent, remove them and save in your house. Using the holes needed to fasten the vent, turn the antenna mount upsidedown and mount on the under side of the roof and fasten the vent framing atop the roof at the same time. Now mount the Qualcomm antenna onto the antenna mount so that the antenna clamp is about even with the plane of the roof. You may need to modify or shim the mount to allow this to fit properly and allow the lid to full close. Lower the lid and seal with silicone caulk if desired to get a tight seal. When you're ready to sell the van, reinstall the motor and fan and charge the buyer a few extra dollars for the nice vent.

You might even be able to garage the van with your new lowboy Qualcomm.

Terry

klippencott

Expert Expediter
If I'm home for just a few hours I park at Wal-Mart two blocks down. I rent a space at an RV storage lot. I leave my personal vehicle in the spot while I'm out on the road and just swap when I come home. It costs me $30 a month, well worth it to me.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
ACW,

Have you actually checked on the regs for your neighborhood? I know at least in the Cleveland Ave area they don't have a prob with vans. They don't like big trucks but there are several work vans parked around, ie plumbers, contractors, etc.

It is possible you are worrying about an issue thats not in your neighborhood.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Terry,
Question regarding upside down c-link, What about lost head room for freight loading as in; what happens when a fork truck goes in with a pallet too high?...=...Floor mounted c-link..LOL
Sorry I just got this vision as I was reading the post, Beleive me it would happen to me!

Dan

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Packmule, et al:

You've got about 48" top to bottom of rear door opening. You've got a few more inches til you reach the roof line, so there's room in a ford or GMC to do as mentioned.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Land Line magazine has had stories in the past about truck drivers that successfully worked with their city councils to make truck parking regs more reasonable. You might want to do a search on the Land Line web site on the topic. Owners of collector cars often have car covers custom made. Might be something to think about for your van.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Security would be my biggest concern and is. I rent a space, gravel, I have access to water, electricity, and I also purcahsed a car port so my personal vehicle is out of the weather when I am out. I got permission from the owner and he parks a vehicle under it with me.

Now the problem is he wants a pretty nice hike from 75 to 100 next year and I pay for a year in advance. Car port may be for sale next year, my second choice will be an RV lot.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I park in a RV/Boat storage lot about 1 mile from home.Where I live parking has always been a issue with the local people who have nothing to do.
The lot is fenced in and secured ,lit up at night and when I leave I leave my pov there. Only problem is cost,up until January of 2005 I was paying $50.00 a month,then due to supply and demand the owners raised it a very nice 100% to $100 plus tax per month.x( x(

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
We have a homeowners association in our 'hood. The only restrictions are for semi tractors. Have had no problems parking my van in my drive way. Of course, it helps that I am on the homeowners assoc board of directors. It also helps that my wife used to work as the office manager of the local police dept. The officers know her and me. The keep an eye on the house when they don't see my van, and know that I am gone.

:+ :+