When you're hot you're hot

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
There are a number of ways to stay warm in a van in winter. What about staying cool in the summer (with van ac off)?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Make sure the van is insulated like crazy, especially the roof. Park in the shade if possible, keep reflective window coverings over the windshield, with the reflective material touching the window or as close to it as possible. If it's brutal hot, and there's no real chance of rain, place the reflective material on the outside of the window, to prevent the heat from ever getting through the glass in the first place. Have the side windows tinted as darkly as your state allows, and use reflective material on those, as well. Airflow is critical, with either a couple of roof vents or a vent and a cracked side window (will need a screen to keep out the flies and wasps and bees, especially the wasps and bees, I don't like wasps and bees). A Fan-Tastic Fan Vent with a thermostat and a moisture sensor (if it begins to rain while you're sleeping, the vent will automatically close, and will automatically open when it's no longer raining) is a good one to get. Not cheap, tho, but worth every penny. You'll want to hook the fan vent to an aux battery, as even a 1 or 2 amp draw will kill your starter battery if left running for 18, 24 hours.

Evaporative coolers will not work in humid environments, so unless you spend a lot of time in Arizona, don't bother.

Next up is a rooftop air conditioner. You'll need either an RV-camping type with a generator to power it, or you'll need a bunch of deep cycle batteries and a 12-volt DC air conditioner.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FANtastic vents. Get yourself two of these beauties, One with a thermostaticaly controlled on/off and the other just a passive vent. you'll get great air flow that'll keep you comfortable

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with Terry and Turtle on the Fantastic Vents. I modified some $25 truck door window screens to fit my van. Along with roof and wall insulation I stay fairly cool. I did spend 3 or 4 nights in August in motels. When the temperature is still 90 degrees at 11:30 p.m. it's motel time.