Whats the strangest thing you have hauled?

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
An active, operating heart/lung machine with monitors, alarms and organ from Fedex airport cedar rapids to the O.R. in Iowa City. Directly after that we did a "Strick Isolation" container WITH specimen of unknown etiology (scary thought!) to CDC.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We went to the CDC once in the middle.of the night. We had to go to the basement with four fuses. We were waiting for Freddy Krueger

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Three barrels of kosher water, to the new vw plant in Chattanooga

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

eugene

Active Expediter
Core samples from SD to a lab in TX at the time of pick up the contact made it very clear he didn"t know what was in the box the bl just said sample, made me nervos at first then in TX we found out it was dirt. But back then no one knew theres was oil in SD it seemed stupid back then but now not so much

Sent from my VM670 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
39 lbs of die cut closed cell foam insulation for a prototype sleeper cab from Findlay Ohio to Mt Vernon Washington....

Marty

Veteran Expediter
That load of Kosher water is weird. There is no such thing as Kosher or non Kosher water. Water used to boil pork could be considered non Kosher because of the pig meat residue in the water. Tap water or bottled water obviously wouldn't contain any non Kosher food in it.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
That load of Kosher water is weird. There is no such thing as Kosher or non Kosher water. Water used to boil pork could be considered non Kosher because of the pig meat residue in the water. Tap water or bottled water obviously wouldn't contain any non Kosher food in it.

I thought it was off, but that's what the barrels had labeled on them, I only wish now I would of gotten a picture.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Actually, there is...while most water is considered Kosher, there is a possibility of some water being bottled on equipment that also bottled non-Kosher items. Mostly its a marketing thing...when people want to be sure.

http://www.aish.com/jl/m/mm/Isnt_Water_Kosher.html?mobile=yes

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Actually, there is...while most water is considered Kosher, there is a possibility of some water being bottled on equipment that also bottled non-Kosher items. Mostly its a marketing thing...when people want to be sure.

Isn't Water Kosher?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

Where is moose when you need him most?

moose

Veteran Expediter
It'll depends on the situation & the use of the water.
if you want to just drink it, then there's simple rules to follow, you just needs to know where the water came from, like ANY other food or beverage you use.
here in North America we have a very efficient system to provide Kosher food, same system monitors water delivery networks.
if it's a none commercial source, just like food, then there are other simple rules to follow, (like a steam verses a standing water).
IF i remember correct, the rule of thumb is the 1/60.
so to answer the OQ, yes, there are waters that are not kosher.(if the source is known, and known to 'contaminate' the water).
again it will depends on the situation.
i can see why someone will use Expediters to deliver kosher water to some spacial occasions.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Expediting Kosher bottled water seems silly to me. Many different brands of bottled water are marked Kosher so it would be easy enough to find locally. Also they could have just used tap water. Even if the quality of the tap water in their area was not to their satisfaction a water filter would have cost less then the expedited fees and would have been a more permanent solution.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I remember as a kid my father talking of waiting for a rabbi to come bless a trl of meat to make it Kosher before they'd unload the trl.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Expediting Kosher bottled water seems silly to me. Many different brands of bottled water are marked Kosher so it would be easy enough to find locally. Also they could have just used tap water. Even if the quality of the tap water in their area was not to their satisfaction a water filter would have cost less then the expedited fees and would have been a more permanent solution.
Marty,
Lots of expedited loads that I had could have been found locally at home depot, and they wouldn't have needed to be expedited. But what do I care? I say, the more they do it this way, the better it is for my pocketbook.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Products from certain suppliers are quality control tested and are approved vendors. Depending on S.O.P.'s and certifications they can not use unapproved vendors without deviation orders and proper testing. When I worked for the FDA we had certain procedures in place with water as well.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I agree with you Flyingvan. I just think its strange.
Zorry what you told us about is strange too. For meat to be Kosher first the animal has to be ritually slaughtered in specific manner as not to cause pain by someone extensively trained to do so. All the blood must be drained. Then the meat is salted to draw out any remaining blood and then washed.