What's the income for cargo vans

Hector72

Active Expediter
Thinking about signing my van with a company,bought a van month ago from a buddy of my who needed some cash.Its a 05 Chevy Express with just over 140k on it,which company would give me the best miles and how much would I make on a weekly/monthly income?I may or may not drive it my self,might just hire a driver.Thanks

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
It depends...

Long answer. It depends on the driver, the drivers location, the company signed with, the freight in the area....

If you need a hard number. Expediting is not for you.

You may make money, you make loose money. You make loose everything.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The amount you earn could be anywhere from $750 a week to going broke.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agree with the others..your income depends on a lot of cohesion between you, your carrier and dispatch...these are 3 main elements that MUST come together....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well lets see all of the above is good info..that being said, last yr i made....ahh forget it...As was said, if you need a certain income level and it has to be steady, this is not the industry for you...

Last edited:

Hector72

Active Expediter
I called around today and was told from .65 cpm up to .75 cpm.Someone told me a company that pays .85 cpm but I recall the name of that company.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
I called around today and was told from .65 cpm up to .75 cpm.Someone told me a company that pays .85 cpm but I recall the name of that company.

Hector, I haven't taken a load for under 90cpm all year. There are lots of companies out there that can get you a decent rate. Always shoot for a $1.00 or more. A company offering .65 to .75 is a company you should run from. Keep researching and do not settle. This is a tough road and those that consistantly take cheap freight will be out of business, the first financial hick-up or major van repair can take them out. Always, always...SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hector, I haven't taken a load for under 90cpm all year. There are lots of companies out there that can get you a decent rate. Always shoot for a $1.00 or more. A company offering .65 to .75 is a company you should run from. Keep researching and do not settle. This is a tough road and those that consistantly take cheap freight will be out of business, the first financial hick-up or major van repair can take them out. Always, always...SAY NO TO CHEAP FREIGHT!

I'm thinking the numbers he was quoted are probably before fsc. Probably still don't come out to $1.00 though.

rikd57

Seasoned Expediter
There is more to ask than "cpm" ... With some companies, cpm oncludes the fuel surcharge, while other companies tdo not include that amount in their cpm quote. For example, one company pays 65% of the run pay as charged to the customer or 75 cpm whichever is more and then the fuel surcharge is on top of that. Some of the runs with that company will pay more than $1.00 per mile. Another company that I am aware of pays a flat rate per mile for all loads. It is important to sign on with a reputable company that has a strong customer base. It doesn't matter how much they pay if you don't have any freight.

Reactions: 1 person

mike1973

Seasoned Expediter
Thinking about signing my van with a company,bought a van month ago from a buddy of my who needed some cash.Its a 05 Chevy Express with just over 140k on it,which company would give me the best miles and how much would I make on a weekly/monthly income?I may or may not drive it my self,might just hire a driver.Thanks

Hi Hector,I owned 2 vans at one point and I was making around $1400-$2500 a month per van.I didn't have any loans to pay so all I paid was insurance.I did a 65/35 which the driver got 65% and paid fuel and keep 100% fuel charge.I going send you a pm with a company name and number to call that I had my vans sign with.Its a company that mostly have cargo vans only.Mike

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Agree with the others..your income depends on a lot of cohesion between you, your carrier and dispatch...these are 3 main elements that MUST come together....

Yup. Income depends a lot on which carriers you choose. Experience in the industry will definitely help you. I have one of my fleet vans signed on with 3 companies "three specific companies" and also myself and the guy has run 5600 miles in just under 2 weeks. He did sit 3 days in Texas and 3 days in Atlanta, but the companies came through. This is fine for an old beater cargo van - but for a box truck or sprinter i'd have them leased on with Load-1 hands down. Knowing what companies are better for what vehicles and what you want to accomplish will help you do well in this business.

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter

With fuel prices going up, $1 per mile might be a cheap freight soon

PS I got the same RED cargo van as you do (seen on your avatar) I've only seen hand full cv in that color.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
With fuel prices going up, $1 per mile might be a cheap freight soon

PS I got the same RED cargo van as you do (seen on your avatar) I've only seen hand full cv in that color.

Rich's van wasn't red when he bought it - it merely became red after running all of those barn burner loads! His freight has been so hot lately that his van has changed colors from all of the heat and excitement!

RMPM01

Seasoned Expediter
Rich's van wasn't red when he bought it - it merely became red after running all of those barn burner loads! His freight has been so hot lately that his van has changed colors from all of the heat and excitement!

LOL I wish my van would turn red from that problem ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I guess my white means I am frozen to the ground and trying to blend into the snow banks from sitting.....LOL

BTW..my color is called Arctic White....some coincidence eh? LOL

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
gas is down locally .05 a gallon.. PARTY!!! Life is all good again!!!

(if you have not figured out.. that is DRIPPING with sarcasm)