Whats his chances?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I meet this sprinter driver the other day and we did the usual How's it going staying busy routine.
He had a 03 Sprinter 30,000 miles and paid 26.000 for it!
Only his second week out NO previous history of driving or expediting.

The question he posed was: How do you make money at this?
My mind computed the facts and I quickly estimated his probable odds were 0 to none...How do you tell someone that 2 weeks before Christmas?
I mean there is a possibility he might make it BUT in my experience I'd say about March he's down and out depending on his bank account.

Oh yeah my short answer: Work smart, work hard and remember details and don't tick off dispatch.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My question is why did he pay so much for a old sprinter? I find the trucks are way way over priced on the used market and with the way that some treat them, they are marginally fit for long usage.

Here is my long answer to him;

Be realistic - don't listen to advice from those who drive fancy trucks, brand new sprinters or disillusioned people. Well actually the first two are all right, it is the latter you need to watch out for :)

Take the word 'success' with a grain of salt when you hear it and don't try to apply what other's think is success to your situation. Define your success but do it after you learn what this is all about.

Be diligent with your numbers, know where you are at and where you are going with them.

Remember that this is a long term commitment to generate revenue. That means that you must at least try for 6 months before moving unless there are serious issues with the company itself. In this also remember it cost you money to move around, not the companies themselves - you end up paying for it.

AND

Always remember the company will make you or break you - choose wisely, don't fall for BS or propaganda that they give you and above all ask yourself if they realize that it is YOU that makes them the money, not the dispatchers, load planners or any one else at the company - if they don't acknowledge or are incapable of acknowledging YOU as the most important part of the company, then look around for another.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg said" My question is why did he pay so much for a old sprinter?"

My thoughts? A lot of the 03's were the problem children of MC...It probably spent a lot of time in the shop and the owner couldn't dump it till the "right" person come along. Another 10 grand and he'd have a new one. I don't get it myself.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
OVM, you didn't mention it, but I'm positive you told him about EO, right? And the seminars they host, too - there's so much info here, it's enough reason to buy a computer, if you haven't got one! (If there's no money left after buying the Sprinter, there's also Landline magazine, and Expediters, too)
Got to feel bad for those who just stumble into expediting, without a clue....like I did. I don't think I'd have lasted the 4 years I have, without EO. Thank you, everyone!:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cheri...my perfect answer would've been like...to improve your chances go to EO and read the archives and ask questions and learn as quickly as possible. BUT it was 6am 15 degrees and wind blowing...My mind was numb.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I post here for a couple of reasons, but this is one that I enjoy educating somone BEFORE they enter as many on here did with me.

To REALLY BE SUCCESSFULL, 20-50% more than the average in any industry one has to have a BURNING DESIRE to do what it is that they choose to do for a living. Do you agree?

With that Desire comes a thirst for information and an education to know as much as you can or should and to continue the thirst for more after entering into profession. Along with what I just printed, will also come an Attitude one that will show YOU CARE and TAKE PRIDE in all that you do. Do you agree again?

Everyone has to start somewhere, as I was recently called by an Old Timmer over the CB when he complained of making no $ after 25 years out here. "A Young know it all." I dissagree, I am still learning and if you knew me, you know that I surround myself with as much as possible, positive people who have more knowledge than myself. This business is no different, we all need good solid Mentors.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Amen!

I consider myself very blessed to have established a business relationship with an O/O who is willing to share his experience with me. His knowledge of this industry (freight lanes, dead areas, positioning, truck tips, etc.) has helped me beyond measure.

During these periods of reduce freight it becomes imperative for newbie’s to find a mentor. A couple of errors and a few thousand miles of unnecessary deadheading can put a quick end to their entrepreneurial hopes and aspirations.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I lurked on here for a couple of years before I began to post. It was a great help to me but many of us tend to read things as we want to see them. There were a couple of folks I talked to who heard only what they wanted to hear and just jumped into this business. Then they wanted to know why I didn't warn them about this and that. I did, but they were wearing a rose colored hearing aid. Bottom line ..... lots of folks just have to learn from experience anyway.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Tom, you nailed it. We can only give our opinions. You have to get experience for yourself. If you're only willing to go part way with the listening thing, then you have no room for blame when your venture fails. Not to say the ppl on EO are right in every instance; but we've done the mistake thing, so you don't have to.

I admit I don't listen to every veteran opinion here. I bought a truck lease-purchase, when I was advised against it. And I learned BIG TIME from that one! I only hope my story helped someone else to make the right decision. The truck I drive now was bought on credit; which everyone and their brother advises against. But knowing my situation, the company I drive for, and the relatively good state of the truck, I decided to go for it. And I'm happy I did, presently. Would I advise a newb to do the same thing? Only if their intent is to fail.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford