What would you do?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would appreciate some advice on this subject. I was planning to stay out until next weekend then come home from Christmas and stay through new year day at least...maybe a little longer. I had some pressing issues that came up at home, so now here I am. Now I have the problem of deciding whether to take a chance on going out this next week. I'm from Arkansas (near Memphis). Getting out probably won't be a problem, but it may be Tuesday before I can go back in service.

Would you take a chance on going out and having to drive 500-800 deadhead miles to get home for Christmas? Staying out over Christmas is not an option.

I need the revenue, but it's hardly worth it if I have to spend all the profit to get home.

Rocketman

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Do not know who you run for so do not know how the loads affect you.

Do you run solo?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I had a choice between a FL run and an OH run; both from NJ. Being out 6 weeks this last trip, it was a no-brainer. Tack on this whacky weather, and that only strengthened my decision to head for the house. I lost about $500 net for taking OH instead of FL, but in the end, I have no idea how next week would've been. I'm guessing avg, with a moderate dh home at the end of the week. But you can't predict road conditions and weather. I decided not to roll the dice this time. Hope that helps.

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
thx, I am solo and running for TranStewart (mostly auto freight).

Getting a load going out from Memphis is probably not a problem, but getting something that brings me back anywhere close to home is probably not gonna happen within a week's time.

Thanks for the input,

Rocketman

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Issues always cause some indecision. Pressing ones, even more. I could suggest what to do, like many reading, but don't know. Suggest you ask Jerry, or Jerry, or Ms Jerry.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Past expierence:

December for myself has been FANTASTIC, most profitable month of the year. Home for X-mas day every year. Dispatched both years on the 27th New Years on the Road.

Most Expediters out of Service I ran, ran, ran, ran.

You decide since there are issues at home, good chance you will DH home I did but I made alot of $ before hand so no problem like I said Xmas day at home but all three years on Christmas Eve was driving home EMPTY. Most exciting DH of the year SERIOUSLY I loved comming home on Xmas eve.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Yes...I'm just a wannabe :+

I was planning to stay home through the first week of the new year, but decided that since the situation dictates differently, I'll probably head out pretty quick after Christmas if there is any freight to be had. I'll just be trading time before Christmas for time after. I'm sure it's not the best of decisions, but I didn't feel like I had much choice in this situation.

Bad g/f's are sort of like a sore tooth. There is a lot of hurt involved until you get 'em "removed" LOL. So far I've had 1 tooth removed and 1 g/f removed. I'm all better now :D

Rocketman

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
A combination of a sore tooth and bad honey could cause someone to make a bad decisions once in a while. All you can do is suck it up, and keep on keep'in on.

Happy to read you are all better now.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Run when they offer...

Wait when they don't offer...

Got a new load offer everyday last week while I was heading to each delivery. It doesn't get any better than that.