What size Power Invertor do you need to run a 9200 BTU ac and Electric Heater?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Xantrex is a respected name, pure sine is cleaner power, but the question is what are the startup and running [voltage] needs of your appliances?

guido4475

Not a Member
Would this one work?

Xantrex PROwatt SW 2000 Watt 12 Volt Pure Sine Inverter

What is the best power inverter out there? Reliable and good quality. Not concerned about the price because I may just cancel the espar for another year and get a decent power inverter and some good insulation.

Any Sprinter/Cargo Van custom shops out there that I could call tomorrow?

This place charges a killing.

Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Pre-owned Vans - Texas

There's a place in Cambridge, Ohio, that does real good installation, wiring, and custom work of any kind called the Battery depot or batteries plus or something like that.....Ziggi and Windsor..will be able to tell you where and who they are....But I know they do quality work....

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Would this one work?

Xantrex PROwatt SW 2000 Watt 12 Volt Pure Sine Inverter

What is the best power inverter out there? Reliable and good quality. Not concerned about the price because I may just cancel the espar for another year and get a decent power inverter and some good insulation.

Any Sprinter/Cargo Van custom shops out there that I could call tomorrow?

This place charges a killing.

Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Pre-owned Vans - Texas

What size trailer do you have to haul the battery bank around that your gonna need to power the inverter to run the ac and heater for a fair amount of time?

Perhaps you might want to consider a Honda 2000 generator instead if you're gonna go that route.

I have the polar cub 9200 with the 2000 and it does just fine running it on eco mode.

I have never run a heater off the genny since I have an Espar.
A 1500 watt heater should work fine though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Amps x volts = Watts
Conversely, Watts / volts = amps.
A 1500 Watt electric heater draws 125 amps, at 12 volts, plus another 10% (12.5 amps) due to inverter loss, so 137.5 amps. Factoring in the Peukert Effect, that means you'll need a 2000 amp battery bank to run an electric heater for 8 hours. If you use 100 amp hour batteries, that's 20 batteries, plus cables and lugs. About 1500 pounds of batteries and hardware. Needing a trailer for 20 batteries is no exaggeration.

Any idea how long it world take to put 2000 amps back into a battery bank using a vehicle alternator? About 5 days at 24 hours a day.

Resistive heat and induction motor appliances should not be run off 12 volt batteries.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
It just dawned on me what you are trying to power with the inverter/battery setup.....My bad..lol..

And I gotta ask the question:......why not just use a generator instead? Plain and simple.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Feels like a DUMB question but for this using a generator...are you in a van? If so how are you running your connections? Thanks.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Feels like a DUMB question but for this using a generator...are you in a van? If so how are you running your connections? Thanks.

I am in a sprinter. I have a AC plug on the exterior of the van that I plug the generator in. That plug is wired to a breaker box. (Similar to any home). From there one wire goes to a AC receptacle for tv, cell phone etc..., one wire goes to roof top polar cub 9200 air conditioner and one wire goes to a battery charger to charge the auxiliary battery that runs the Espar, tv via a 900 watt inverter and a LED dome light, when the generator is not being used.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I am in a sprinter. I have a AC plug on the exterior of the van that I plug the generator in. That plug is wired to a breaker box. (Similar to any home). From there one wire goes to a AC receptacle for tv, cell phone etc..., one wire goes to roof top polar cub 9200 air conditioner and one wire goes to a battery charger to charge the auxiliary battery that runs the Espar, tv via a 900 watt inverter and a LED dome light, when the generator is not being used.

Sounds like a real good set up. Is the outdoor AC hookup a option with Sprinters, or did you have that installed?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Amps x volts = Watts
A 1500 Watt electric heater draws 125 amps, at 12 volts, plus another 10% (12.5 amps) due to inverter loss, so 137.5 amps. Factoring in the Peukert Effect, that means you'll need a 2000 amp battery bank to run an electric heater for 8 hours. If you use 100 amp hour batteries, that's 20 batteries, plus cables and lugs. About 1500 pounds of batteries and hardware. Needing a trailer for 20 batteries is no exaggeration.

Any idea how long it world take to put 2000 amps back into a battery bank using a vehicle alternator? About 5 days at 24 hours a day.

Resistive heat and induction motor appliances should not be run off 12 volt batteries.
Dump the heater and get a heated mattress pad instead. We use them and they do not use much electricity at all maybe 75 watts. They will keep you toasty warm as long as you stay under the covers.

guido4475

Not a Member
Dump the heater and get a heated mattress pad instead. We use them and they do not use much electricity at all maybe 75 watts. They will keep you toasty warm as long as you stay under the covers.

So, when not sleeping, what would they use to heat the rest of the van? A heating pad?.......lol...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
So, when not sleeping, what would they use to heat the rest of the van? A heating pad?.......lol...

How predictable... Does attempting to ridicule me make you feel bigger, Dave? You just can't resist, can you? How utterly childish!

Uh, I would put on some clothes... maybe a sweater... a coat?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Amps x volts = Watts

I thought he ought to come to that conclusion too, if he did the work to figure it out.
Killjoy. ;)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It just dawned on me what you are trying to power with the inverter/battery setup.....My bad..lol..

And I gotta ask the question:......why not just use a generator instead? Plain and simple.

That is what I say, the driver wants to run this heater off this imaginary super powerful never going to drain the battery power inverter. Not going to happen. So the only way to run a electric heater is to use a generator or get a espar!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So will a minus 20 degree sleeping bag! :) I did it without the luxuries.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How predictable... Does attempting to ridicule me make you feel bigger, Dave? You just can't resist, can you? How utterly childish!

Uh, I would put on some clothes... maybe a sweater... a coat?

It was a legitimate question IMHO. Without a legitimate heat source people are going to idle it's only human nature. Being more comfortable allows drivers to perform better and stay out longer.

I did it all at different times. Mummy bags, buddy heaters, heat pads etc. Then I got my first Espar and will never be without one again. There is no comparison and doing anything else is just getting by on the cheap, which I understand some need to do been there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
It was a legitimate question IMHO. Without a legitimate heat source people are going to idle it's only human nature. Being more comfortable allows drivers to perform better and stay out longer.

I did it all at different times. Mummy bags, buddy heaters, heat pads etc. Then I got my first Espar and will never be without one again. There is no comparison and doing anything else is just getting by on the cheap, which I understand some need to do been there.
It was snarky, as his posts always are on the back of my posts. Everybody has their ideas so just let them come out instead of attacking those people that he doesn't like. It's just the same old thing.

guido4475

Not a Member
It was snarky, as his posts always are on the back of my posts. Everybody has their ideas so just let them come out instead of attacking those people that he doesn't like. It's just the same old thing.

I was simply asking a legitimate question, that's all. If you are that insecure with yourself that that is all you think that when I am "Attacking you" when asking a question, than you have much larger issues than I.

You are on here talking of how you have the most comfortable of van setups, one that drivers would love to drive, but than you go and cut a hole in the side of a new Promaster for an A/C or expect you're drivers to stay warm with a heating pad and wait for a load while bundled up...lol....Real good driver retention.....yea buddy.....lol...

And besides, I thought you were going to ignore me?...lol...