What should a buyer look for when buying a used Sprinter?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even though my entry into expediting may not occur for a few months, I am still torn about which van to buy. My question is this: If I buy a used Sprinter, what do I need to focus in on when doing my pre-purchase check?

I would probably buy it from Penske or Ryder, so I'm sure I'd be getting a decent vehicle regardless. Just the same, there are wise people on this forum who could do an invaluable service to noobs like me by giving us advice concerning the purchase of a preowned Sprinter.

Wise Ones, please hear my plea :)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
a 1 yr 100,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty...that should give you maybe a yrs worth of peace of mind.....

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Extensive service records, showing all services are done that needed to be done.
Sprinters are fickle (no OVM not pickle:rolleyes:)
If they aren't taken care of they can be a problem child.
If they are taken care of they will be good to you, ask OVM:)

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Extensive service records, showing all services are done that needed to be done.
Sprinters are fickle (no OVM not pickle:rolleyes:)
If they aren't taken care of they can be a problem child.
If they are taken care of they will be good to you, ask OVM

That's why i wanted to go to Penske; their service records are right there :)

I do know this: I would want a long & tall 2500, an '05 or newer. My question is more this:

What kind of year-specific problems should I look for? I know some of the 5-bangers have some kind of "goo of death" problem involving the injectors; how about the later jobs? The interwebz are a bit quiet about problems with those.

Chef has a hella good point about an extended warranty :D

I definitely yield to the wisdom of my superiors on this one.

Hey! my 100th post :D That and $1.50 should get me a cuppa coffee at Pilot! YAY!

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What to look for? A new Sprinter. :D

Kidding aside, I am not a Sprinter guy but pay attention to some of the info just in case. What I've often heard is a Sprinter has to be maintained with a European mindset not an American mindset. I'm sure guys here will offer more and if you haven't already check out the sister site, mysprintervan.com I think it is.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't buy a used sprinter without checking under the head cover for 'black death', and of course what others have mentioned. It is easy to do, just a few screws and the plastic cover comes off.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I've seen (at least on their website) Penske maintenance records are far from being detailed.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have no idea about penske, but i do know that ryder has very complete records on te vehicles that are leased from them and include a "maintainance program" in the lease. My 05 GMC 3500 CV was bought from Ryder...It was a van that a "printing company" leased for 3 yrs from Ryder and they had to take it to ryder for any repairs and maintaince...I was given that file and it was a very complete file...Ryder does their own GM Warranty work and they even had when they replaced the blower switch down to the axle seal and all regular scheduled maintainance.

If I were a "sprinter" guy and weren't paying a new van, id have no problem buying from Ryder, as long as I had the service file....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
First I would ignore a lot of the BS. :D

Second I would got to Sprinter-Source.com and read as much as you can - sign up and ask questions.

Third I would email Dockor A at [email protected] and ask him for advice on what to look for but more important ask him if he is still selling the Doktor A Diagnostician aka DAD for sale and but one. GET IT and use it with everyone you look at.

Fourth, Ryder and Penske only have records for things done in house. If there is a lease to say Jo's flower boutique, the records from the work done by Jo's won't be in the maintenance records. NOT all leases have a maintenance agree with Ryder and Penske.

Fifth, always get the fluids checked and ANALYZED, oil, trans fluid, rear end fluid and have a mechanic look at other things.

Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I hate to say it, if you can't afford a new Sprinter, look for a nice used American slop bucket.

Speedwagen

Seasoned Expediter
2004-2006: 2.7 liter 5 cyl. TD= Best Mileage and Very Stout
2007- on: 3.0 liter V6 TD= Less Mileage
2007: Beware- most models came with taller rear end
ratio making mileage even worse.
Used?: Complete Records and Documentation for sure!
Parts are fairly affordable now with many non-dealer sources.

Rich

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
2004-2006: 2.7 liter 5 cyl. TD= Best Mileage and Very Stout

When I talked to my boss, I told him one of the options I was looking at was an 04 and he said that they had suspension issues back then, which were resolved in later years.

Does anyone know anything about that? He said it caused them to be more susceptible to being tioped over.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This may be a dumb question, or it may not: Do M/B and Freightliner dealers repair Dodge Sprinters? If I do get a Sprinter I don't want to have to depend on Dodge dealers to do repairs; from what I've read they aren't very good at it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Not a dumb question but one that only can be answered by the dealer.

There are a number of MB dealers who will be happy to service them on MB's terms but there are a few who won't even let them on the lot.

When it comes down to it, not too many dealers employ actual mechanics.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I know for a fact the Freightliner dealer in Troy, IL won't repair Sprinters, but the FYDA dealer over by Youngstown, OH will. And they charge $105/HR labor

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When I talked to my boss, I told him one of the options I was looking at was an 04 and he said that they had suspension issues back then, which were resolved in later years.

Does anyone know anything about that? He said it caused them to be more susceptible to being tioped over.
The suspensions on MY02 to MY06 are identical. MY07 and later have a heavier duty anti-sway bar that adds more stability (as well as several other changes), but the earlier models weren't any more susceptible to actually tipping over. I added a heavy duty anti-sway bar to my 05 which helped a lot with the rock-n-roll of pulling into and out of truck stop parking lots.

The 03 and earlier models had a lot of differences with the engine, but the 04-06 are the same.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This may be a dumb question, or it may not: Do M/B and Freightliner dealers repair Dodge Sprinters? If I do get a Sprinter I don't want to have to depend on Dodge dealers to do repairs; from what I've read they aren't very good at it.
A Sprinter is a Sprinter is a Sprinter. Other than a few cosmetic difference like the grills and the name on he back door, wheels, steering wheel, and front cover of the Owner's Manual, they are identical. So if they work on Sprinters at all, which brand of Sprinter is irrelevant.

I had my Freightliner Sprinter for more than 4 years before it was first worked on at a Freightliner dealer. My primary Sprinter mechanic is at Parkway Chrysler in Benton, KY. They are excellent, and it's a small town so they know if they screw you over everyone in town hears about it. Many big dealers in big towns could care less.

Some Dodge dealers are very, very good at it, some are not. The same thing goes for Freightliner dealers. I wouldn't take my Sprinter to Dallas Dodge again if it meant having to walk home. Nor would I take it back to the Freightliner dealer in Harrisburg, PA again. Dallas Dodge tried to screw me with pricing, but at least the work they did was satisfactory, but the Harrisburg Freightliner charged me for work not done and still stuck to their guns when we proved they didn't do the work.

I've had one other Freightliner experience, and it wasn't one that I'd go back to, either. I've had far more good experiences at Dodge dealers. It all depends on the Sprinter technician(s) and how well trained they are.

There are a lot of general maintenance and repairs on a Sprinter that aren't Sprinter-specific, meaning you don't have to be a Sprinter tech to do it. Things like brakes, alternators, water pumps, belt tensioners, etc., so other than parts availability being a problem at some locations, any good mechanic can work on them. Parts can be easily ordered online, and some can be ordered at Autozone.

Dodge dealers may or may not be able to work on 2011 and later Sprinters, because they are no longer dealers for those model years. Most Freightliner Sprinter dealers that were Sprinter dealers before the MY2011, still are, and will work on them. Freightliner dealers who are not also Sprinter dealers will probably not work on them, tho a few will depending on what the repair might be.

The MB Sprinter dealers did not sell Sprinters before 2011, and couldn't even get parts through normal channels for earlier years, but they can work on them now. Many non-Sprinter MB dealers can and will work on Sprinters, since there are many similarities with other MB vehicles.

There's a Dodge dealer in Dubuque, IA that is not a Sprinter dealer, and never was, yet they have an excellent Sprinter tech there.