What is the best GPS device?

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
We all know that Microsoft streets and trips on a GPS equipped laptop is an excellent tool on the road... But not everyone has or wants to have a laptop computer in their truck.

My question is - Do any of you use a standalone GPS unit like a TomTom or a Garmin, do you like it (is it accurate) and what did it cost (do you feel it was a good value)?

Any input is valuable - Thanks in advance

Scott

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
We do not currently have one, but recently tried one for a few weeks, took it back because of some personal issues and needed to wait for that kind of expense. We looked at Garmin, Tom Tom, Lowrance and a few others. My husband was convinced after research to try to Lowrance, but after we looked at it, we didn't like it. We settled with the Garmin and really liked it. Many of them you have to buy maps extra etc., the Garmin came with it, and updated automatically. The model we had was about $800. There is a newer model that you can have XM integrated...you get XM radio via the Garmin (with subscription to XM), but it also integrates XM traffic with the routing and adjusts your routes for the traffic.

In summary, I would recommend Garmin from personal experience.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I know it's not a gps devise, but I use mapquest and a piece of paper. Rarely fails.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I'm sorry but i just don't see the reason to pay that kind of money for just a gps unit when for less money you can buy a decent lap top and have m s streets and trips with locator or a number of other mapping software for less money plus have the laptop to use for other reasons,

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
i use microsoft streets and trips works preety well but i also have a hand held garmin etrex that serves many uses for both in the truck and out. i can take it to the lake the woods or the road trip,and with the twenty dollar adapter i can hook it to my laptop and use in conjuction with mst as an antena for it so i get both the garmin details and the street level turn by turn when used together its like a tom tom with a 17 in monitor total out the door was 300.00 order online throuh cabelas. woks great. but when all else fails the phone and a piece of paper i found to be the best bet.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use the laptop with Copilot 9. If I were to use something else I would probably go to this one. http://www.geosat.us/ It has features for amateur radio that are an ulterior motive for me. If I didn't go with that one I'd probably go with the Garmin that uses XM for automatic traffic detours.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have 2620 Garmin and 2720 Garmin The 2620 works better for Straight trucks. I like it and never leave with out it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i like the garmin 2610, and it has had 2 year's of hard use and just bought a new one from tvnav.com it was a rebuilt one for $475.00
that include new maps and 2 day shipping to i already had ant
and the old one i will get it rebuilt by garmin for $225.00
i left it on in van on a very hot day and it got a case of sun stroke
and acted all kinds of crazy and after so many reset's just time for a new one

panthervanman

Seasoned Expediter
I have the garmin c-550 and I love it I sold my lap top with the gps I was running on it.This gps is the best 650.00 I have ever spent.It is unbelivable.Go to best buy or some where and give it a try I bought mine on ebay.Its faster than any lap top,it has blue tooth,so the number comes up on the gps and you can answer it right on the gps unit or hit ingnor. its got so many things I can't tell you all of them or I will be typing for ever. I thought it was to much money when my friend showed me his but now I wish I had it years ago. I can only tell you that it is mind boggling. It will tell you where anything you want is(where you are at,where you are going or along your route!!!!)Food,golf course,post offices,wal-marts along with their phone# and all you have to do is touce the screen and it will dial it for you and you can talk with out the phone. It give you your eta,miles per hour,miles you have gone miles to go.It talks to you and you can go a differant way and it will automatily reroute you back on course. As you can tell I love mine! It is also portable and easy to take from car to car. If you drive a truck it will give you direction for trucks.It has a 8 hr battery so you can use it with out it being pluged in.I don't work for garmin but if I did it would sell itself,try it you'll like it. panthervanman:7 :7 :7 ;-)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I've had two different Magellin models; one failed, the other was unsat for our needs.

I have had a c-340 for the best part of the year, it does all of the above and has an optional receiver requiring a subscription service that recomputes and routes you around hazards/detours. I don't have that service. A Garmin c-330 also does all of the above except for the reroute subscription service. Each is in the $600+ range and well worth the money. It's a standalone unit that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle as it plugs into cig lighter outlet.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
IBM ThinkPad T-20............$265.00 on Ebay
CoPilot9 Laptop Truck........$400.00 from Diesel Boss

Not getting jammed up under a low bridge...........Priceless!!!!!

ThinkPad has a 15" screen, also runs bookkeeping software, Verizon air card, plays DVD movies. What's not to like?

Rex

trhoades

Expert Expediter
I personally use a Pioneer AVIC-N1. Now this is the early model, and I believe they are an N3 now. I paid $1500 for it. OK I know that is alot over the top, but I have had it for 2 1/2 years and I have never felt ripped of. It is an in dash stereo w/flip out 9" screen. It has Gps with only 2 disks (East US canada and mexico and then West US, Canada and Mexico.) The disks don't have to be inserted after initial address input. It has a small backup camera that I purchased on EBay for $60, I can watch DVD's when layed over. It has a vehicle dynamics screen which reads accurately your voltage, mph, g's around corners, % of grade of hills, compass and a few others. More importantly you can request the trucker version of the software so you don't have to worry about bridges and non-commercial roads. Another attachement that you can purchase is the TV tuner so that you can hook up your satellite TV, which I didn't purchase cuz I don't have satellite TV. Also, you can DL pics from your pc on to a CD and have pics of your kids or whatever on the screen while driving down the road. Plus you don't need to have your bulky laptop out, everything is tucked nicely into the dash. For me this is a necessity since my dog would be very POed if she couldn't sit in the front seat. It's been a very valuable purchase in my eyes, and I have never regretted it.

Whether you purchase the pioneer or any other GPS, I've found it very satisfying to have. Being lost really stinks. ANd if the technology is there why fight it?

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
Ran around for 30 years not knowing where I was going.

Bought a Garmin 2620 GPS at Best Buy for $1200.00 two years ago.

Now I still don't know where I'm going, but I definately do know how to get there!!!!

The money I have saved on not being lost milage alone has paid for the unit. I could rant and rave all day about it. Waaaaaaaaayyyyyy(like Goooooogle) too many features to list here.

Do yourself a favor and spend the money for one. Well worth it!!!

Kemp!

I'm not much but I'm all they've got!

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Roger Noel
I agree with FR 8. I just replaced my 2 year old HP computer with a very nice Toshiba for $620. It was an online special at Wal Mart.com

ddperki

Expert Expediter
We have had the Garmin 2720 for about a year now and have really liked it. Payed around 1100 for it at Best Buy. Have had to update the software once and it was free. A new update on the mapping part is out there and it costs 75 bucks. We haven't done that yet but need to. You can read all about it on their web sight. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have low clearance and hazmat routing. Other than that, it has Walmart and most truck stops, rest areas, weigh stations, malls and restaurnts, motels and hotels, etc., pre-programed into the unit. It sure has saved us a lot of stress over routing. No more having to wake up your co-driver to get the atlas spread out at 2AM with a flashlight trying to figure out where to turn next because you missed your exit due to construction. Automatic rerouting is great. WOuld not be without one now.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The only thing mapquest doesn't do that the handheld units do is tell you where to turn. In cases where a street sign is hidden or missing, or the addresses in the area aren't visible from the street, I could see getting one. Occasionally I miss my turn, but have never gotten totally lost from what I wrote down. Curious if anyone else uses mapquest or yahoo maps.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm still on the old pen and paper system. But I've talked to SO many people who've bought one and just rave about it and say they wish they had done it long ago that I'm giving it serious consideration.