What is owed you?

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The driver isn't owed a dime. The minute he left the shipper without the implicit approval of dispatch he literally and figuratively abandoned the load contract. Whether one just so happened to have gone dry run after he left is irrelevant, since at the time he left, the load was not a dry run.

The shipper can tell the driver it's a dry run, ... but you don't leave until .... dispatch tells you to leave ....

If you leave prior to getting loaded or before the customer determines it's a dry run, you have breached the contract. It's that simple.

I agree. It is that simple and that cut and dry.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I disagree with that. Any way to get out of paying for something some of these outfits will do it. A driver should never leave a shipper unless released by the customer once they verify the load is not a go. Also it is essential to have that driver there and an open line of communication with the shipper and yous dispatch.

Anyway, I would terminate that jackhole in a heartbeat! Charles you did everything correct IMO, that driver is a loose cannon!

Oh, I complete agree with you that the driver needs to stay. However, if the driver cannot gain access to the parking lot, then I would be ok with him waiting at a safe venue within spitting distance. Unfortunately, this was NOT was the driver did.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would lean towards the carrier but in the provided example, not enough information is provided to make a realistic assessment.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Had a similar "freight not ready" issue one time a few years ago. So... the contractor (a newb) decided to go on a sight seeing tour, as he had not been to that area before. When the freight was ready, the idiot was an hour away from pickup.

Luckily, there were a couple Alliance trucks near by.

And yes, he was ****ed at the Company because he didn't get the load and had to DH all the way home so he could take my flags off.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have had loads dry run, then turn around and make a few times in the past 30 years
It's really great when that happens,you get dry run pay ,then the real pay,but in any event,you don't leave the shipper 'til told to do so by dispatch.You leave and no money owed to you,your just out of luck.