What does it take to get YOUR attention as a driver today?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Unfortunately I do not see us resorting to this recruiting tactic in the near future but hey what can I say interesting thought anyway I guess..... Kinda creepy though!!!!!

Don't knock it till you try it besides a lot of little people have CDL's (and Volvos) :D

huanak

Seasoned Expediter
We are new in this business (two months) and we are not having enogh miles. We do have a new sprinter and were promised a lot of loads but this was not true and also we did not get any loads on our way back most of the time. We do not have the CDLs but we been doing delivery jobs for years now. Can some one tell me a company which would give us a lot of work?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
huanak:

If any of us could tell you who has "a lot of work" all of the time, we'd all be working there. We are currently in an historically slow period of the year. Van loads seem to be at a premium with numerous carriers right now. Tell us the name of your present carrier (it needn't be a secret here) and hopefully someone else from there can help you learn the intricasies of your carrier

huanak

Seasoned Expediter
When we are at a certain destination we wish that the dispatchers could tell us how many driver are ahead of us there, should we go to another city where the options of getting a load would be better, or if need to move to another state probably.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Huanak, I am sorry to hear about your difficulties and just like Terry said this is across the board usually a slower time of the year in expedite for sure. However, let me mention you asked about dispatchers being able to tell you your place in line. I cannot speak for other companies but I do know with my Qualcomm units the driver can see how many trucks are around him and then call into our dispatch and we will tell them if they are set up or should consider relocationg. However, I do not run a huge Sprinter Fleet so if you are near one of my other Sprinters it would probably be a fluke. I would be interested in knowing where you are based out of and how long you stay out between home times as I am still in a position to use a couple of Sprinters if they are true Sprinters. I have not been actively seeking them though just because it is slower time but I recently lost a Cargo van (Due to family issues had to come off the road) and would love to gain another Sprinter.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I could buy a sprinter if that would be valuable. Not sure what you mean by true sprinter though.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Dcalien, let me clarify my statement of a true sprinter. What has happened in the past is when we advertise for "vans" we get basic cargo vans that are too small. The actual sprinters which can hold 2-3 pallets. However, would I run right out and buy a sprinter right now during the slowest part of the year in expedite? I am not sure I would. I might wait until mid year or so. Don't get me wrong I would love to add one and know I could use it being I just had lost one but right now the straight trucks and T/T's are the busiest. I am just looking at the overhead to begin with a new sprinter and the timing aspect. If you had one though, I would say sure bring it on...

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Al. Yes I understand it is a slow time of the year. It also happens to be the time of the year that I am taking a company buyout. I am aware of the cost of new sprinters as well.

I know I must not be under capitalized to start this. I can easily afford a new extended cargo van and still have money to run on. If I buy a sprinter, I will have to sacrifice on some other investments.

If I understand correctly, an extended one ton cargo van would have the capacity to take three pallets. I have been spending hours researching expediting, so perhaps I don't understand correctly.

Research is obviously not as valuable as experience.

I do have about ten years experience in OTR, and have a class A CDL.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Friendlier dispatchers huh???? I now surely hope this is not one of my drivers, lol... Anyway, I can see both sides though now that I have been in the office and honestly it is communications that causes the stress between.
I still say a driver should shadow a dispatcher for a week and the dispatcher should ride for a week to gain respect for the trials and tribulations of both positions. One thing we find to help is making our dispatchers available to meet drivers and have drivers stop in and chat when they come through. Our dispatchers, who use pool method meaning all calls go to dispatch pool and not specific dispatchers seems to help but we also strive to make sure our dispatchers address drivers by their names when they call in, not a truck number..... I know to me as a past driver who had a truck number and seemingly no name this was huge plus for this company.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Like others have said I don't really want to hear you can keep me busy. I really want to hear how you can keep me busy. Do you run all or majority automotive freight? What kind of customers do you have? I'd also like to see earnings sheets. Another thing I'd like to hear would be driver testimonies about the company that sound truthful.You know you read some with a driver's picture beside it and you can tell it was written by a p.r. person. The first company I drove for as a company driver in t/t told me I'd be home every other weekend. Then when I got out on the road I was out 5-6 weeks at a time. I was single so the fact of being gone didn't bother me. The fact that I got lied to did bother me though. That was part of the reason I left that company. Lack of trust. Had they been honest about it I most likely would have stayed. I had plenty of miles and made decent money. I would just like to know they were honest people that I was dealing with.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I became interested in Expediting by driving from MO. to N.H. two or three times a year and seeing Fed EX C.C. and PantherII trucks on the road. In July 2007 I contacted a large Co. After a few e mails with the recruiter I sent in a poor mans businees plan. At the time I had NO debts, my home, land and equipment are all paid for. I sent to the recruiter what I expected to pay for a Van, my monthly payments, ins, upkeep, ect. Saying I would like to drive at least 1500 miles a week. Knowing nothing of dead head miles or sitting. Instead of saying this is not realistic, his responce was your leaving out the FSC. Making me belive 1500 miles was not unreasonable. After buying the Van and signing on I found out I was seriously mistaken. Live and learn. I hope to start with someone new in March.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Al,
Let me rephrase my first couple of lines. I don't want to hear that you can keep me bust, I want to hear how I will stay busy. Maybe it makes more sense now.