What does it take to get YOUR attention as a driver today?

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Who ever said a recruiter couldn't ask a questin here, right?... So, as a previous driver of many years I wonder today what it is that grabs your attention by recruiters in your travels? Back in the day it might be a booth outside a truck stop trying to get your attention or colorful contact cards at the exit. I am sure every day every driver that reads this is exposed to many recruiting tactics. I would like your opinion as to what a recruiter can do to gain YOUR attention. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I think believability is key in your profession. The "we are the best, biggest, keep you loaded at all times" puffery turns us off when we hear it in person or see it in print. I want to see a printed fact sheet that shows all the start-up costs, including the hidden stuff. I want to see an exact average revenue to my desired truck size for the past year which also includes number of runs in a year, miles in a year that I could hope to have if I maintained at least the average performance expected of my truck size.

We all know that this is not a business of absolutes, but when a recruiter can't or won't divulge realistic revenue expectations for an owner, we tend to distrust the recruiter. Throwaway phrases such as we can keep you loaded are meaningless to all but the unexpecting novice.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Terry and Rene... Let me start by thanking you for the reply.. I must say that I agree with you fully about the candy coted tactics. I personally as a previous driver of a long time like you can see right through that and quite frankly especially for someone who has been in the industry dont like being taken for gullible. It is funny you mention up front costs sheets, etc being just today in my office I sat down with a prospective driver showing him a sheet of just that up front costs.
As far as promising freight that I find is hard to do because we require experience and with anyone experienced they know the truth about how freight runs. I see you guys are with Fed Ex and I must say is very respectable and it is nice to correspond with someone who has been around and can give good information like this.
I do again appreciate your input and I am in the midst of hoping to become very active here so I can help our recruiting department fine tune to give drivers, good drivers... what they need to be comfortable with what we have to offer. Please stay safe out there and I hope we have the honor of talking again.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One other thing that really got our attention when we where looking for a company was how professional the recruiters act. We tried to talk to one company that shall remain nameless and they actually stayed seated in their chairs and they were our number one choice up to that point. Talk about a turn off! We felt as if we where not treated well by the recruiters then the company cannot be much better.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Bob and Linda, let me also thank you for your reply to this inquiry. Let me also say I hope it was not one of my recruiters for sure. I just this past year looked at my experience as a O/O and decided I would love the opportunity to actually talk to other drivers about my company. I believe whenever your meeting any potential driver, recruit or anybody interested in your company you have to roll out the red carpet and take their hand and show them around. As in my other comment yesterday to Terry and Rene it is very easy to come up with a list of a smoke screen to sell to new operators. However, if you want to attract quality drivers who will remain with your company just as Terry and Rene said you have to give the good and the bad and not question someones intelligence by selling them a gold plated smoke screen.
I do not want to be long winded but I do thank you again for your input for sure. Please be safe out there and not sure if you attend any of the shows but please if you do stop by our booth and say hello.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Along with prior comments I'll throw in availability and reliability. I don't imagine I'm the only person talking to a recruiter, or anyone else, but I do expect timely communications. If I call with a question I have no problem leaving a voice mail. By the end of the day I'd at least like a 12 second call saying "Leo, I got your message and will call you tomorrow (or whenever reasonable) with the answer.". Then I want reliability, meaning sometime tomorrow (or whenever reasonable) I get the call with the answer.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Leo, I thank you sir but I would hope that is a no-brainer if you will for anybody trying to attract drivers. You will notice here I have even installed yahoo IM on both my office pc and my mobile handheld in hopes of being able to respond to people as quickly as possible. My thoughts are if someone can take the time to write at LEAST I can do is make an effort to respond. So, how is expedite treating you right now sir?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
While one would hope and think it's a given, unfortunately with some it isn't. Calls can go a few days before being responded to or information promised by a certain time can be much later arriving. I understand that Murphy sometimes interjects himself unavoidably but have experienced these problems in the past. One of the more recent times was when I was building a new truck. It was a guaranteed sale and yet at two different dealers I failed to hear back for several days beyond promised response times. Needless to say, my business and money went elsewhere. Expediting overall is treating me reasonably well. Take care.

Last edited:

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Expoditer67, unfortunately right after the new year there is always a decrease in freight but usually it is not long term. As far as Virginia I cannot speak for other companies obviously but it is not a hot hot area for our company. Most times we end up bringing trucks from VA into NC.

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
Well when i was just starting to look at this way of life I talked with a recruiter from the old roberts express.He told me that I couldn't make money in a van,and hooked me up with a Freightliner dealer who happened to have a lot in akron[not a akron dealer].He sent me all the paperwork,the dealer did the same.I returned the papers ,was approved to get a D unit.I called the recruiter,asked if I could bring the carriers paper work up,while going to the truck dealer,in case I filled some thing out wrong.I told in no uncertain terms that I was not to go to the carriers office for any reason,also this man I had been talking to for 2 weeks informed me that I had not had a person to person interveiw with him and would 10 days from now be ok?I told him I would let him know,hung up,called a different company,they said a van would work out cause of where I lived.I had a van all lined up before,1 week later me and my van were at the orentation.

dragonrider
14yrs trucking
10 expiditing

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Dragonrider, WOW... It is a shame you had to go through all of that but I am glad to hear your second experience put a little more time into your information. If you were to have talked to me for example about a sprinter van. I could just say ya, I will run your wheels off in order to build my fleet. However, I would have also explained that with a Sprinter it is very dependant on your location. I mean, yes I can work a van that can get out and run a couple weeks at a time being based out of NC but right now and it seems like this most years until about the end of the 1st quarter the van freight (in this area) is a little bit slower.
Now, if you were in say Chicago, IL or OH. I would probably say buy one without a hesitation being I know there is alot more call for that in those areas.
As far as your recruiter getting you all set up for a D unit and then saying he was tied up for 10 days, that blows my mind. Why if you have someone that has shown the desire and taken all of the steps you did would you put them off for 10 days. I mean, come on, make time..... Anyway, I see that you have been expediting now for 10 years so it must have worked out for you so I am glad to see that.... I definately appreciate your response.. Stay safe out there...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably just being reliable and honest as some have eluded or mentioned. As simple as it sounds, that is not always what is delivered. Secondly, would be to provide REALISTIC expectations as to what the industry offers.
Most prospects are going to be independent business owners and need reliable and realistic information PRIOR to entering.
We often see the casualties across the forums here at EO.
What they don't need is expectations of a 9-5 job, "I can make millions", or a bunch of flowery tourist stories.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I hesitated to post anything here but after the conversation I had with a former future expediter, I have to throw in some stuff that has been covered.....sort of.

Honestly and Integrity

What I mean is most of what I have experienced when I started this venture down the yellow brick road is somewhat of salesman ship gone wrong. Not naming names and it is not of companies I worked for, but most of what I was told when I asked basic questions were lies. This sounds harsh and it is meant to be because we have enough lies going around with companies that the people who stand out are the honest ones.

Now this goes hand in hand with integrity, meaning something you say and saying something you mean is part of it. This also includes a follow trough, doing things you say you will do and being passionate for the right reasons.

But you can never forget one important thing; no one is as good as the company they work for. It don’t matter how good of a person you are, it don’t matter that you sit there and do follow ups and return calls until your fingers bleed, if the company puts you into a situation where they can’t be honest, they can’t allow you to follow through in an honest manner on things you say you will do and they can’t be fair and honest with each contractor, then you are compromising your principles.

For the record, I had to recruit people for contracting positions for highly competitive positions at one time, a bit more difficult than this stuff - or at least to me.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I recommend our recruiter for FedEx Custom Critical every chance I get. He was very up front with us and what we could expect. We started at a hard time which was January but we made that choice as we had to learn to sleep while the other drove. He stayed in contact with us about our paperwork, our truck, helped us on getting our tags and our IFTA sticker when we went to orientation we were very prepared and all of our paperwork was perfect. He met with us at orientation and made sure all of questions were being answered. He called a few times after we started to make sure all was going as expected. Now every once in awhile we still get a email from him to make sure all is well. We feel due to him we started off on the right foot with our company.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Again everyone I appreciate the feedback. I must admit I have had my differences with recruiting tactics when I was a driver as well. I think that is partially why I am hoping to never become "one of them" and just like many have said, speak with a driver on a driver to driver basis and as frank as possible. You will notice I have not tried to sell anybody on my company but am trying desparately to just make a presence here. Maybe one day someone may get to know me and ask about my company and sure I would love to recruit them but for now I am enjoying hearing from all of you. Please watch for future posts as well as I hope to participate in conversations throughout. As always thanks everyone and stay safe out there...

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
DCalien, as I explained in an earlier response to someone else right now it is a slower time in the industry and I am not looking to put on "alot" more vans. However, depending on the specs of the truck and is it a true cargo van or is it actually a sprinter and your location I could possibly put another on. Again, not looking to just build a fleet so I want to be very specific and make sure of these things. My sprinters can hold 2-3 pallets which makes it much easier to use them. I think if you can give me a bit more about the truck, does it have sleeping area, where you are based out of we might be able to talk. Please feel free to leave the information here or use the link below and call me or e-mail me in the office or let me call you.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately I do not see us resorting to this recruiting tactic in the near future but hey what can I say interesting thought anyway I guess..... Kinda creepy though!!!!!

Nekkid midgets get my attention especially if they drive flat top Volvos...
But hey I am me;)