What do you need other than the van ?

PinballWizard

Expert Expediter
Starting expediting with a van. What do I need other than a company to lease to and a Van ?

My list so far:

Van ( complete expedite specs )
Cargo straps / pallet puller strap / chain
GPS / Map
Laptop
CDL class B w/ HAZMAT
Phone / Bluetooth Headset

What else ? Do I need any type of DOT number or Any other type of State / Federal special papers / forms / or license ?

Thanks so much

-Brandon

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

fire extinquisher,triangles and spare fuses.copy of birth certificate, ss card and vehicle registatrion.good luck

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
PB:

If you lease to an expedite carrier, you will not need any type of DOT number or Any other type of State / Federal special papers / forms / or license. If your carier requires you to have a hazmat qualification, you'll need a class C CDL with a Hazmat endorsement and a supply of logbooks. Contact your motor vehicle office to learn the requirements for a Hazmat endorsement. The process will likely take a month or more and will cost $94 over the cost of the CDL. See www.hazprints.com

You'll need to have what's known as "bobtail insurance" for the van; you may be able to get that through your carrier's group plan, if they have one.

Your carrier will also likely require you to have a drug and alcohol screen and a DOT physical. That'll cost about $100, maybe a little less. They may also want you to submit a scale ticket to ensure your van can carrier their van load weight requirements.

Having said all this, your best bet is to contact your carrier of choice(s) and get a list of their requirements. That way you won't have to deal with our opinions, some of which will be contradictory

PinballWizard

Expert Expediter
Well, I have a Class B CDL with HAZMAT already ( See Above ), so I'm good to go with that.

When you say " bobtail Insurance " , are you talking about just a regular full coverage policy that you would have on any personal vehicle or is there more to it ?

Thanks again for all the responses

-Brandon

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
A profitable run, after another, after another, after another, after another. When you reach a thousand runs than go buy another truck and let us know how ya did. $ in the bank that is.

Good luck, and stay on here posting for us please.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like you have all the basics covered. After you have been in this business a few weeks you will compile a list of "essentials" you will want to make life on the road more comfortable. For me this has become a never ending obsession. I am limited only by my imagination, budget and finite size of my van. Okay, so that narrows it down a bit. When it comes to creature comforts I try and find things that are dual-purpose.

Recently I bought a camper's chair. It is made of canvas, with wood arms and a steel frame. It folds up and stows agasinst the wall taking up little space. This replaces one of those chair-in-a-bag things that collapse and fit in a bag. What caught my attention with this camper chair is that it sits low to the ground. I can use it in my van because it sits low and outside as a lawn chair.

I also have a lap table. Not to be confused with a lap dance or table dance. This is a piece of wood with a bean bag thing on one side. It makes a great platform for my laptop computer and wireless mouse. When not in use it fits at the end of my bed with the bean bag side up. It acts as an extra pillow.

Before I got my new lap top computer I had an ancient one without internet access. I had some games, Streetfinder and PCmiler loaded on it. But because of its size and heft it doubled as a wheel chock.
I also use my toothbrush as, ah never mind. But in a van the more uses an item has the more value it has.

Wiz, welcome to the world of expediting! One question I must ask. How did you pass a D.O.T. physical being deaf, dumb and blind?

PinballWizard

Expert Expediter
>Wiz, welcome to the world of expediting! One question I
>must ask. How did you pass a D.O.T. physical being deaf,
>dumb and blind?

Moot,

"Ain't got no distractions, can't hear no buzzes and bells,"
"don't see no lights a-flashin', plays by sense of smell."

:D

I restore / rebuild pinball machines in my spare time, thats where the name comes from :)

Thanks everyone for the time to answer my questions. Hope to see ya out on the road soon.

=Brandon

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Wiz, have you ever come across a machine called Apollo. Its a mid 1970's vintage based on the Apollo Space Program. Ah, Monday nights in the basement of the Pub. Dime beer, quarter pinball, and free popcorn.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What do you need other than the van ?"

Capital and common sense. Sometimes the hardest things to find.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i guess i'm about to be the bad guy but i don't see how the van owners are making it from what i've been hearing lately.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i guess what i should have said is you need some money in the bank because what i've heard alot of people saying you ain't gonna make it in a van. plus am i the only one who says anything that is off topic? i have nothing against vans or anyone who drives one all i was saying was i don't see how yall make and you catch a dam attitude.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Akbar, I've been so busy the last three weeks That I took this week off. Got to rest up and catch some fish and let the poor tires cool on my VAN!

MSinger

Expert Expediter
> i guess what i should have said is you need some money in
>the bank because what i've heard alot of people saying you
>ain't gonna make it in a van. plus am i the only one who
>says anything that is off topic? i have nothing against vans
>or anyone who drives one all i was saying was i don't see
>how yall make and you catch a dam attitude.

Using the words of the great poet and philosopher Mr Rodney King circa 1993......."Can't we all just get along?"

2002 GMC Savana 3500 DRW 15' cube 10,000 GVWR

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Jarhead you are the most negative person on EO.I hate to put anyone down, but every post of yours is the same way.sorry for butting in