What Do You Do To Earn Your Pay?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Expediters love talking about what they won't do (take loads that don't pay, chain up, go to Canada, take short runs that tie the truck up for too long, etc.). What about the other side of the coin?

When you receive what you consider to be good or excellent pay for services rendered, what does your carrier and/or customer receive in return for the money paid? What exactly do you do to EARN your money?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They get the freight that they've agreed to deliver, delivered safely, on time (barring unforeseen circumstance), and probably most importantly to them, with no whining or worry.
I get the job done (pats himself on back).

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Friendly, clean, courteous, professional drivers. On time pick up and delivery.
Securement of the freight. Security for the freight. Safe driving.
And a "We care about your needs and concerns attitude".

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Deliver undamaged freight on time and safely. No matter if it pays great or not. Once I accept a load they ALL get treated the same.

I have had short loads that pay less, full of 55 gallon drums requiring I use 15 straps to secure the load and I have had long runs that require only using a load bar to secure the load that pay great.

To me it doesnt matter what the load pays as far as service goes. Once its on my truck EVERY LOAD gets treated as if it were my own personal cargo and hadled with care. I do tend to go overboard when it comes to securing loads. I have actually had shippers laugh at me for using as they call it "to much securement" to me better safe than sorry. I dont want loads sliding front to back and what scares me even more is a load down the middle of the truck sliding side to side rolling the truck!!!!!

On top of that the customers always see a happy friendly professional looking driver. I always present my self with work boots, clean clothes, shirt tucked in, hair brushed or a hat, ect ect. I cant stand showing up to a shipper or consignee and see another driver with pajamas on, socks with flip flops or sandles hair pointing in every directions and stinking to high hell, clothes all stained up and filthy dirty...ect ect

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
If given the chance, I try to be early for pickup, early for delivery. Keep broker updated as requested. Appear clean and groomed. Help load or unload if necessary. Whine only to my broker if something not right, never to shipper or consignee. Put all my customers first. Make sure load is secure, no matter what shipper thinks is OK. Know my truck and keep it maintained. Sleep when not doing any of the above.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deliver undamaged freight on time and safely. No matter if it pays great or not. Once I accept a load they ALL get treated the same.

To me it doesnt matter what the load pays as far as service goes. Once its on my truck EVERY LOAD gets treated as if it were my own personal cargo and hadled with care. I do tend to go overboard when it comes to securing loads. I have actually had shippers laugh at me for using as they call it "to much securement" to me better safe than sorry. I dont want loads sliding front to back and what scares me even more is a load down the middle of the truck sliding side to side rolling the truck!!!!!

On top of that the customers always see a happy friendly professional looking driver. I always present my self with work boots, clean clothes, shirt tucked in, hair brushed or a hat, ect ect. I cant stand showing up to a shipper or consignee and see another driver with pajamas on, socks with flip flops or sandles hair pointing in every directions and stinking to high hell, clothes all stained up and filthy dirty...ect ect

This pretty welll summarizes it for me. I too have been laughed at by some shippers for over securing the freight. But, I have also heard the praise and thanks of some shippers who appreciate the extra care and effort.

My truck is kept clean and well maintained. All needed documents are current and up-to-date. All deadlines are met in a timely manner.

I wear the "company apparel" everyday for every load. I am on time for pu and delivery, drive safe, keep dispatch informed along the way if and when needed, clarify special instructions and try to be proactive, not reactive. I take pride in myself and the job I perform .... and my carrier and OUR customers reap the beneifts. :eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Depends on what you consider earning your pay?

If it means showing up there and picking up the freight, sure that's easy but if it is problem solving or being dependable to a specific customer, then that's not so easy.

NOT too many 'company' people actually get involved with problem solving, even those elite people. When you can make decisions without the companies permission, then you are earning your money - my opinion.

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
Ya the basics have been covered,Greg made me think of all the times i've had walk shippers thur a custom invoice for Canada.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What I do to earn my pay;first I stay available for dispatch,after that ,I pick up my loads on time,I'm curtious to the people involved,shipping and receiving,and dispatch.I deliver my loads on time,undamaged.I take most of the loads I'm offered,so I have credibility with the company I'm with.For that I get paid a obnoxious amount of money.No its not millions,but its much more than the average truck driver.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well I give them all the above plus my business card with my picture on it and say if you ever need us call us. And if you can't get them call me. :D:D

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What it takes to keep MY BUSINESS PROFITABLE, while representing Load 1 as if it were my company....

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
What about the numbers aspects? Yeah, picking up and delivering in a timely manner, and not looking like you're homeess is important and all (and shouldn't really be an issue, but I've seen those guys too on the docks), but how do you go about your number crunching to see if a load is profitable?

Particularly those of you who have a contracted rate with a carrier that you can't negotiate? Do you take everything they send you? How do you decide if it's a crap load or a good load, numbers wise?

Thanks!
Christopher

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Everyone in this business should know the minimum per mile it cost them to move their truck..if they don't they aren't long for the business...so figuring if a load is profitable or not takes no time at all...but the numbers are not the only that one needs to consider..are you in a good freight area to begin with, how long have you been sitting there, what is your "board position" within other ubits in the same class that you drive with your carrier in the same area, where is the run going to take you, is it a good area to get out of....its not all about just the numbers for "that" run....and even if the "numbers don't add up, you can't make every decision to take or not based on a single run...you really need to look at your week, your month and all of the things above...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Yep. When I was driving I wanted to get to certain areas that are always profitable, so I would sometimes bid whatever I needed to get a load going there because I knew I was going to make it up coming out.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Being granted above-scale pay in my business normally doesn't require any extra service any more than "earning" below-scale pay merits lesser service.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Everyone in this business should know the minimum per mile it cost them to move their truck..i

You also need to know the cost per day of sitting. There are fixed costs that do not vary. As you pointed out, knowing where you your load takes you, is just as important as how much the load pays. A great paying load has little meaning when you have to DH 200 miles to get back in a freight lane.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
We give our customer the properly equiped truck and trailer needed to haul their high value freight on. We give our customer the proper equipment to protect (tarp) and secure their freight to our deck. We give our customer the expertise of knowning the do's and don'ts of handling their freight. Our customers can rest assured while in our possession their freight we not be left unattended and tampered with as so many live depend on that.

We simply give our customers what they are paying for, and them some. You get what you pay for, or at least thats how it should be!

Last edited:

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I do every load that I am asked to do. ASKED TO DO. Offers are something different.

Any of the dispatchers I work for know that when they have their back against the wall, zero3nine WILL get the job done. Period, end of story. I will do it with a smile. I will stack the boxes, uncrate the motor and remove the debris, hire a helper and get the piece into position.

Yes, that's right. Even if it costs me money to get it done. In the few times when this has been the case, I know that I am literally saving the day, mending a wound, sealing a hole, fixing the problem. It doesn't matter to me how it happened, I will serve the client to the best of my ability and I know that any good dispatcher will respect that. They have always paid me back one way or the other.

I keep my vehicle immaculate and clean, I let them see me securing the load and locking the doors, driving with care, leave a detailed bill of lading and make sure they receive their POD the way they want it.

Zero3nine delivers. This philosophy, bolstered by a strong work ethic, has resulted good fortune for me. Your mileage may vary. :cool:

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Like most of the others, I'm on time (weather permitting) & safe. I'm in service almost every day. I've taken some runs for em that my business sense told me not too. At the same time, I've also had a lot of nice little shorties. This company, unlike my last one, seems to remember when ya do em favors covering loads that aren't really profitable.

I've taken runs in brutal weather where the only practical way was to get on the highway & do 45MPH vs the most direct route where I might be able to go 10MPH. That added 45 miles to a 120 mile trip.

I've covered for another driver who overslept. I didn't mind doing the run so much as dealing w/ a PO'd shipper.

I've been called out of the blue & told how much they like having me there & they wanted to make sure I was happy. They've raised my rates twice in 3 months, though that might be cuz of the fuel prices. So I'm guessing I'm doing something right.