What do cargo vans haul? Hazmat required?

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
Do cargo vans typically haul pallets, or random packages? Just a thought. Also do cargo van drivers need their hazmat endorsement?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Typically a skid or skids. Loose boxes occasionally. Basically anything that will fit not over weight limits. All the carriers I know of require a Hazmat endorsement to CDL. Most shipments are under 1000# and do not require placards.

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
Typically a skid or skids. Loose boxes occasionally. Basically anything that will fit not over weight limits. All the carriers I know of require a Hazmat endorsement to CDL. Most shipments are under 1000# and do not require placards.
So in order to haul hazmat of any type, one must have the endorsement? Even if it doesn't require placards?

Monty

Expert Expediter
Correct. Though it may not require placards, you must still be aware of labeling, packaging, securement, etc.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can only speak of panther, express and load 1 require you to have a hazmat endorsement unless of course policy has changed.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I might be wrong here but I believe ha mat under 1000 lbs does not require an endorsement. I cannot find the reg maybe someone else can come up with it.

I should ad except in those cases where it does require placarding.

Last edited:

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks. I just moved to IN and have to reapply for hazmat if I want it, and I'm not sure i do if I don't need it.

guido4475

Not a Member
I can only speak of panther, express and load none require you to have a hazmat endorsement unless of course policy has changed.

Load None....now that's funny.....lol...the way we have been running, false, but yet still funny....lol...:)

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
I can only speak of panther, express and load 1 require you to have a hazmat endorsement unless of course policy has changed.

Does this not include a 1000 pound limit? Anything over 1000 requires placards and spill kit?

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Do cargo vans typically haul pallets, or random packages? Just a thought. Also do cargo van drivers need their hazmat endorsement?

I work for a company which doesn't deal with hazmat at all. Even though I have the endorsement, it's been a touchy freight haul a time or two, with other companies. Being a little wiser now to the game.....would have turned down a few in the past, even upon arrival at the shipper. It's a serious penalty if your caught.

Sometimes you'll move just about everything from the back, in order to obtain the load. Had several where someone just handed me a package for the front seat. You never know, but must be prepared for anything. It seems 75% are pallets, give or take.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It depends on the company, of course. Most all of the larger carriers require hazmat endorsement and a CDL even though LEGALLY you aren't required to have this IF the load doesn't have to be placarded. The companies are covering their rears, and if you DO get offered a heavy hazmat load you'll need the endorsement "for sure".

What do we haul in CVs? Anything that'll fit by dimension and weight. I've hauled 3 skids at 2,800 lbs in the old Sprinter, and yesterday I had one box that weighed 2 lbs. Both loads pay the same per-mile rate, so of course I make more money with the 2 lb box than I do with the 2,800 lb load. I don't do hazmat, seems the outfit I drive for doesn't get much of that in van sizes. Not that I miss it much, they don't pay extra for the extra risks and I could personally do without the extra risk in any case.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does this not include a 1000 pound limit? Anything over 1000 requires placards and spill kit?

I was only speaking to how I understood the op's question. Many companies you do not need a hazmat endorsement sply to drive a cv. If they asked a driver to carry something they were not legally permitted to such as over the legal him poundage I would look for another company.

intransit

Seasoned Expediter
It depends on the company, of course. Most all of the larger carriers require hazmat endorsement and a CDL even though LEGALLY you aren't required to have this IF the load doesn't have to be placarded. The companies are covering their rears, and if you DO get offered a heavy hazmat load you'll need the endorsement "for sure".

What do we haul in CVs? Anything that'll fit by dimension and weight. I've hauled 3 skids at 2,800 lbs in the old Sprinter, and yesterday I had one box that weighed 2 lbs. Both loads pay the same per-mile rate, so of course I make more money with the 2 lb box than I do with the 2,800 lb load. I don't do hazmat, seems the outfit I drive for doesn't get much of that in van sizes. Not that I miss it much, they don't pay extra for the extra risks and I could personally do without the extra risk in any case.
Yeah I agree, hazmat is a headache but I might get it just so I appear more qualified, if I become an o/o, lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If the load you are hauling does not require placards, you are not required by the DOT to have a HAZMAT endorsement.

It's that simple. I don't know why that is so confusing to so many people.

It doesn't matter what the load is, what kind of pretty pictures it has on the packaging, or what it says on the papers, if it doesn't require placards, it doesn't require a HAZMAT endorsement.

It certainly behooves cargo van drivers to learn as much as they can about the HAZMAT endorsement and HAZMAT procedures, if for no other reason than to prevent a shipper from erroneously putting a load on your van that requires placarding. If that happens, it's all on you. I've had 3 different loads now that the shippers said didn't require placards, yet they all did. The paperwork had to be corrected and placards affixed before I left the shipper.

Panther requires cargo van drivers to have a CDL, they do not however require a CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement. The CDL can be an A, B or a C. In the case of a Class C-CDL, it must have an endorsement of some kind, since a Class-C CDL without an endorsement doesn't exist, but that endorsement can be either HAZMAT or Passenger.