What companys pay the most per mile, and include g

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
RE: What companys pay the most per mile, and inclu

T-Hawk said.

EO is a close knit community
>where everyone has a different personality.

Sorry, but you are not correct, I for one have no personality.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Kelly,

Ok .... I'll bite. The company I am with pays the following rates for cargo vans:

"B" loads - $0.92 to $1.05 per loaded mile, dependant on total mileage of the run.

"C" loads - $1.26 to $1.40 per loaded mile, dependant on total mileage of the run.

These rates apply generally for all loads except for a few customers who are contracted and recieve a (slightly) discounted rate.

A "B" load is 500 to 2500 lbs. A "C" load is 2500 to 5000 lbs. They do dispatch cargo vans on some "C" loads - provided the freight will fit and the vehicle can legally carry the weight.

Owing to the fact of the way they figure fuel surcharge for vans and the fact that I drive a diesel which gets good mileage (Sprinter) ....... well let's just say that I make out very well as far as covering my fuel costs ..... along the lines of what you are looking for. They update the FSC daily based on what the price of fuel is that day and bill/pay accordingly.

They also pay detention ($21/hour to the O/O, in 15 minute increments) - after 30 minutes on a local run, and 1 hour on a non-local, surcharge for additional stop-offs or pickups ($24.50 to the O/O), Canada pay ($60 to the 0/0), a surcharge ($10.50 to the O/O) for minimum rate loads picked up between the hours of 11 PM and 6 AM, and surcharge ($24.50/hour to the O/O, in 15 minute increments) for hand unloading for more than 8 boxes totalling 500 lbs (never have done this myself so it must be fairly rare).

And if you run on a holiday (I think it's Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter - could be more) you get the entire amount of the invoice - the company takes no cut. This applies if you are running loaded on the holiday or just returning from a run (so it generally applies to loads going out the day before, depending on the distance and what time they are picked up.)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

RLENT, what company do you drive for?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter

Yes, I am interested to know What Company also !
Might have an idea but like to know !
Thanks
rmctt2

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

Leo & Richard,

I drive for a smaller company, based in northern Ohio - called The Elite Way Express (SCAC: EWEI)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Smaller IS gooder!!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter

I spoke with a representative of Elite Way Express.

Yes, they do pay a decent rate, but they return back to their base area of operations without freight. Basically, they are a one-way operation. They have a fair amount of Canada freight too. That can also be a consideration for many.

If I lived around Akron, I would probably drive for them.

I especially like not having a QC.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

From what I've read and heard, most van drivers will drop their loads and head home anyways. So a team like Elite Way wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for vans. Personally, I see it as a waste to drive empty that much. One guy I met in Laredo dropped the next morning and headed home (KY I think) UGGH!.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Lemme get this figgured. Drive 2 days to Laredo. Drive 2 days back to KY. Get load KY drive 2 days to Laredo. Week gone, 2 loads.

Drive 2 days to Laredo. Wait 2 days for load. Drive 2 days to ??. Week gone 2 loads. ?????? Or, even sit 3 days, a third less miles ETC. ETC. It is no wonder I don't do well in this business, my figgur'in is wrong.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I used to work for an outfit that paid around $1.35/mile but that to was one way freight...drove lots of empty miles...Canada to Larado would pay about 1,500 bucks...do that twice a week and you seemed to be making money...until the fuel bill came in...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

David,
What you were told is generally true - it mostly is one-way freight .... although not always. There is a daily run (almost dedicated I guess you could say) that the D-unit trucks are doing that hauls and pays both ways. Yes, not having to pay the QC fees is nice - if I decide to go OOS for a few days or a week I don't have to worry about the expense for something I'm not using. The expense for insurance is another matter though ..... As far as Canada goes, I went there last Friday for the first time (I started with EWEI back in March) .... it's possible that the other drivers are doing more Canada runs .... but I haven't seen a whole lot them myself.

TH,
I'd certainly prefer to reduce my unpaid deadhead miles. The conundrum, at least from a a management perspective, is how does a smaller regional company like the one I drive for, make the jump from what they are, to what is more typically thought as of as expediting company - one with a broader customer base spread over a larger geographic area ? I'm sure that it was a step that all companies have had to make as they grew - the real trick is how to make that happen in a competitive environment, where one is competing against already existing companies that do just that.

I see it as less of a problem for the larger trucks - since you can use the load boards to find loads for them ..... but from what I have been able to gather, finding van freight is somewhat more problematic.

And while I'd prefer to have less deadhead, the idea of being out somewhere and sitting around waiting for a load for several days - or more - isn't all that exciting to me - although who knows ? ..... maybe if I were doing that I'd be fine with it. I do figure my time is worth something ..... I have plenty of things to do with my free time if I'm not running a load - so I guess I pay a price for being able to do that.

Colenel,
I suspect there's nothing wrong with your figgur'in ...... ;)

Ken,
If you would be willing to share, what amount of unpaid deadhead miles (to pickups and to home when you go there) are you generally averaging as a percentage of paid miles or overall miles ?

For the theoretical Canada to Laredo run you present the linehaul pay to the O/O where I'm at could range from a little over $1300 to a maximum of a bit over $2000, depending on the customer and the load. The FSC (at todays fuel prices) would be about $250. My fuel cost were I to do that run would probably be around $185 for paid miles only (I'm averaging 24 mpg) - and about $370 total running both directions. So I would have an out of pocket expense of $120 dollars if I were to run it and deadhead back home.

Would I run it given those numbers ? ....... in a heartbeat. Two of 'em a week would be nice ...... ;)

If I had the opportunity to run the same paid miles with significantly less deadhead would I ? ........ well, of course.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

It was nice, though I was in a different van..only reason I left they lost 2 major customers.....Once the wife and I did 3 back and forths to Dayton in 24 hours.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter

welcome to this life this is why every body with any amount of time in this buisness will tell you feast when the feasting is good but always put some in a doggy bag so when things are lean you can still eat. so to speak,its tough for every body right now welcome to july,hang in there though contrary to some peoples believes your in with one of the best companies out there and ther busy season is yet to come been there 3 yrs in oct. and my experience is from aug to the first week or so in nov. i do very well,now this is me and im in a d unit but i talk with other drivers and owners and they experince the same patterns most of the time,and dont get down my father-in-law has a sprinter on there to and hes feeling the same crunch you are as far as freight.