What Can I Use To Heat Inside Of Cargo Van ?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
nice deal Cableguy!! To be honest, i never thought of adding a under the van tank, but yea i could see that as a better alternative to hauling 2 16 lb tanks inside the van...but I think I'd want a bigger tank then 10 gallons personally....but still a nice deal!!

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
nice deal Cableguy!! To be honest, i never thought of adding a under the van tank, but yea i could see that as a better alternative to hauling 2 16 lb tanks inside the van...but I think I'd want a bigger tank then 10 gallons personally....but still a nice deal!!

Lots of room under that ford for a larger tank. I went with the 10G because of cost. Not only was the tank free, but it was full ;)

Those tanks can really leave a hole in your pocket. So see if you can find a used one. There is always someone, somewhere, gutting a RV or camper. You just have to find them and buy the tank.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
keep in mind that RV's carry Propane tanks all over the country everyday....

According to the Propane Education and Research Council, whoever they may be, there are more than 270,000 on-road propane vehicles in the United States. Not a huge number, but they're out there.

If I were involved in an accident where leaking fuel and fire were a concern, I'd like the leaking fuel to be propane rather than gasoline. Being a compressed gas, I would think a propane fire would be more localized, like a blow torch, while a gasoline fire being mostly liquid, would spread. I believe this is why arsonists and crazed revolutionaries choose gasoline over propane as the main ingredient in their Molotov penistails. This is all a Moot theory and has no scientific basis.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Moot, i am thinking that that 270,000 number is vehicles that run on propane..and yea that is not a large number persay, but my bet is the number of rv's running around the country far out numbers those vehicles using propane as fuel....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, i am thinking that that 270,000 number is vehicles that run on propane.

It is. I wanted to point out that there are vehicles that run on propane in addition to its use in RV's. These vehicles are not restricted to certain routes.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a lifelong member of PERC.

Scott, don't you mean MERC? Methane Education and Research Council.
HBH+Agd9l87TGIe4AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wasn't sure about the northeast or Canada. Thankfully my experiences with them are limited. What is the ratio of pounds to gallons with propane?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At 60º F, 1 gallon of propane weighs 4.2 pounds.

I'm guessing an empty 20 cylinder weighs close to 20 pounds, so a full one would weigh in around 40 pounds.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
According to the Propane Education and Research Council, whoever they may be, there are more than 270,000 on-road propane vehicles in the United States. Not a huge number, but they're out there.

If I were involved in an accident where leaking fuel and fire were a concern, I'd like the leaking fuel to be propane rather than gasoline. Being a compressed gas, I would think a propane fire would be more localized, like a blow torch, while a gasoline fire being mostly liquid, would spread. I believe this is why arsonists and crazed revolutionaries choose gasoline over propane as the main ingredient in their Molotov penistails. This is all a Moot theory and has no scientific basis.

If my memory is right, and I did not hear this on a Fox Cartoon..

Propane is safer than gasoline because you have to have the correct air/fuel mixture for it to actually explode/burn.

It's safe than natural gas because it's pressures are measured in the XXX range and not the XX,XXX range.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I saw a rack for one of the tank exchange systems today. It said the net weight of propane was 15 pounds so that's not quite 3 gallons. Based on discussion I presume that might give about 60 hours of heat. If that underbody tank has a true 10 gallons usable capacity that would be much better although keeping track of filling could be a small issue. Then there's the higher price of a gasoline Espar to think about also. Lots to consider and think about.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I saw a rack for one of the tank exchange systems today. It said the net weight of propane was 15 pounds so that's not quite 3 gallons. Based on discussion I presume that might give about 60 hours of heat. If that underbody tank has a true 10 gallons usable capacity that would be much better although keeping track of filling could be a small issue. Then there's the higher price of a gasoline Espar to think about also. Lots to consider and think about.

Mine had a outside gauge, as well as an electronic one inside the truck. It'd run down to 0% just fine. Then I'd freeze my arse off and have to go in to the truck stop and beg them to fill the tank at 3 am.