Walking or Parking on Ice

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
With winter coming I am once again dreading when we have to park in a lot that is all ice. Last year I bought shoe chains but they didn't work as well as anticipated! I haven't came up with a plan for this year but to hope we stay away from all lots that are solid ice.

Last year I managed to get us stuck in a Pilot parking lot. When you stop on ice the tires melt the ice and you sink. Well we couldn't get out of the hole the tires had created and of course everyone else was stuck or where trying like mad to get out of that parking lot. If this happens to you and as bad as it sounds get out your tire chains. Good thing about running team is I get to drive the truck and poor Bob has to throw the chains. What we do in this situation is lay the chains actually in front of the drive tires so the tires can get a grip on the chains and pull itself out of the hole. We have had to do this a couple of times and it works great but it does get your chains all icky.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Linder,I found the best way to avoid ice to to stay below I 40 for the winter.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hey Rich I think I will call FedEx Custom Critical and tell them you said we can stay south of I40! I love the plan and I hope we can sell it to them.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you stop for around 5-10 minutes and then move about 3 or 4 feet that will often solve the problem. Your tires cool enough to not cause the problem in the new spot and you don't sit still long enough to freeze up in the old spot.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Linda,just tell dispatch you know me and it will all work out.You will run from Atlanta to the west coas ton I20/10,then back to Miami,then to Tuscon etc. I expect 5% for my help.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks Leo that is good information to keep from melting the ice and getting stuck!

Rich I will let you know how all of this works out with FedEx Custom Critical.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
LInda you can always make a couple of slow laps around the parking lot to cool the tires off before you park.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have not tried it myself but read in another forum an idea posted by another driver. In addition to tire chains, he carries two single lengths of chain and bolts with nuts and washers to fasten the ends together. On two rear wheels, he will loop a length of chain though a wheel and around the tire. He says that is enough to get him out of ice holes, mud holes and such.

It of course does not replace tire chains where tire chains are required, but it seems like it could save you a lot of work if a little ice hole or maybe an icy, downhill dock is the issue.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thinking a little more about this, it may work OK with steel wheels, but if you have aluminum wheels, the chain may not be the best thing for them.

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
carry a gallon of bleach not the best 4 tires but in a emg it will get you out but don't use all the time it heats up the tires

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rich has the best idea, but if that isn't practical combine both Leo and Ark's suggestions. At a truck stop drive through the lot slowly. When you find a parking spot, pull in part way and wait a minute or so and then pull ahead. Not only will the tires cool but so will the brake drums. Setting hot brakes with melted snow is a sure way to freeze the shoes to the drums.

Also laying down tire chains (not chaining up) to get out of a hole or out of a dock pit works great. A mixture of barnyard lime and sand or cat litter provides instant traction on ice.

Linda, what kind of boot chains do you have. I have been considering Yak Trax for walking my dog.

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Stop by Lowes or Home Depot and pick up several packs of the Coarse adhesive back 6 inch sanding disc's
Just peel the backs off and stick to the bottoms of your boots. This will provide good traction on ice.
You may need a knife to trim off excess and then stick excess in uncovered areas on bottoms of boots!

Pappy :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Pappy, that is a wonderful idea! Besides providing traction on ice, you could wear them whan you want to sand some flooring, too!:+

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Moot not sure what kind my tire chains are! I just saw them and bought them they are slipped on over your shoes with a rubber strap. They work well unless you get into snow and the snow will suck them off. The problem with most things is you need something to get your from the truck to the shippers or consignees or into a truck stop and then you need to take them off easily. These are nice for that as they do come off the shoes pretty easy and you sure the heck cant wear them on a floor as they make it really slick!