Virtual Terminals

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have gps, set it to the city that is the center of the virtual terminal. When gps says you are within 60 miles of the city center of the virtual terminal, you will be in that terminal's radius. Don't need access to the maps to make that work. There are some vt's that overlap each other but only barely. Good luck.

I have seen no reason to be within x miles from a vt. Just go to the normal freight areas. Distance to a load seems to make a much bigger difference than distance to a vt these days

Last edited:

touble

Seasoned Expediter
The New VT is no more than a big joke to me. I do not use it and I go to where I think the loads are. Panther needs to quit playing these games.

bdmj989900

Seasoned Expediter
Distance to a load seems to make a much bigger difference than distance to a vt these days

I will agree with you on that one. They just offered me a load. Sitting #2 on the board. I didn't really want it. So i asked why the other truck didn't take it. They told me i was the 1st truck they offered it to. So much for board position. And the first out thing. Apparently neither mean much anymore. You just have to sit where the freight is.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On the positive side, at least they stopped where they are at rather than proceeding with a unworkable plan.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
Maybe someone can answer me why Contractor Relations are told not to tell us where the other trucks on the board with you are at?? Im mean not the exact location, but not even what city they are in?? or how far away from you they are. Why does Panther want to keep that info from us?? For example if you del in Columbus OH and you are 6th out wouldnt it be nice to know if the trucks ahead of you are around Columbus or Dayton or Cinci. Why is it secret???????????

redhotxpress

Seasoned Expediter
What $$ have been offered by computer generated EM"s?....we were told with the new VT when you deliver a load to say, Mt or Wy, that the system would quote give you "Good Money" to EM to say SLC. I am not sure what the "system" considers "Good Money" but our experience has been like 7 cpm, for instance $16 to EM from Lacrosse to Madison; $33 to EM from Orlando to Tifton, GA; $31 from Yuma to LA. But if we wait in a dead area for 24 hrs it goes to .20 cpm to move but then you've wasted time and opportunity to move to a good area for a load. Or if you are fortunate to get a load then of course we can get the 50cpm after the 1st 100m, which sometimes costs Panther even more. Guess the trick is just not to take loads to dead areas. I'm with Dave, ignore the VT and just go where you know frt is moving.

redhotxpress

Seasoned Expediter
We delivered a load 80 miles from Las Vegas awhile back and were 9th on LA board. We got a reposition suggestion to LA but decided to hang out at a nearby trkstop for a bit. Within 30 minutes we got a load offer to pick up a load out of Las Vegas going even further from a board, below rate, which we refused. When they asked if they could offer us anything to take it, we asked why they hadn't offered it to the trks ahead of us and they replied "we were closer". Seems like if its a load that's hard to cover, they will "ante up" without going through the other trks behind you 1st but if it's good miles offered at a lower rate and you ask them if they can do better, then they say they have to offer it to the other trks in the area 1st. So, we told them, go ahead and offer it to all the other trks 1st, then come back to us. Anyone else had this experience??

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We delivered a load 80 miles from Las Vegas awhile back and were 9th on LA board. We got a reposition suggestion to LA but decided to hang out at a nearby trkstop for a bit. Within 30 minutes we got a load offer to pick up a load out of Las Vegas going even further from a board, below rate, which we refused. When they asked if they could offer us anything to take it, we asked why they hadn't offered it to the trks ahead of us and they replied "we were closer". Seems like if its a load that's hard to cover, they will "ante up" without going through the other trks behind you 1st but if it's good miles offered at a lower rate and you ask them if they can do better, then they say they have to offer it to the other trks in the area 1st. So, we told them, go ahead and offer it to all the other trks 1st, then come back to us. Anyone else had this experience??

What they are telling you is they have another truck. You may think they are looking at a Panther truck when in fact it could be a load that went on their broker board. Many brokers haul loads for a lesser rate than Panthers own trucks.
Let me put it another way. If a load is listed as customer specific (doesn't want it brokered), haz-mat (few brokers do them), or a Elite run, that load doesn't hit the broker board.
All others do. The CSR asks the customer at time of booking if they can broker it.
Didn't use to be that way, but it is now.
In the past, a supervisor would review prior to it being brokered out.
Ever see a single team truck sit on a board that does 10 a day average and he never moves? No rocket science involved.

Last edited: