Vetting is a stupiding word

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a bit of a difference between Halakhic law and Sharia; the worst that can happen under Halakha is being stripped of Orthodox identity and mourned as dead while you're still alive. Under Sharia, the last thing you hear is the schwing of a sword

Reactions: Turtle and Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It appears to me, it is the vetting being debated. That is not the issue.

To make a statement about all looking the same is the issue.

Reactions: xiggi

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
We cannot save the world, but the USA can keep folks out that try to kill us,,its a start and unfortunately its mostly ME culture that do most of the attacks here..

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
People from countries with low risk, of a history of few problems, are assumed to be just like the others from those same countries, and are thus subjected to less intense vetting.
Being like them and looking like them are two different subjects. Imho

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's a bit of a difference between Halakhic law and Sharia; the worst that can happen under Halakha is being stripped of Orthodox identity and mourned as dead while you're still alive. Under Sharia, the last thing you hear is the schwing of a sword
Well, there's that. Plus, there are several other religious courts, of a sort, within the US. The biggest difference in all of them and in Sharia, however, is Sharia inherently wants (demands) to supplant any and all secular laws with Islamic law. There's nothing wrong with Muslims wanting to live their lives by Sharia law, unless they want to subject non-Muslims to that law, or unless they want to break the secular civil and criminal laws of the US. There have been at least two incidents (that I know of) of US courts setting aside US law in favor of Sharia law. In both cases, the appeals courts overruled those decisions, and both times the lower court judges received scathing, almost brutal rebukes by the higher courts. As long as the Sharia courts stick to matters of finance and family matters, and don't overstep US laws, they'll be fine.

Being like them and looking like them are two different subjects. Imho
Yes and no. Being like them and looking like them are often one in the same for those who come from certain regions or countries of the world, particularly from countries with little or no racial diversity. Where they come from of what they look like is the very first step in the vetting process.

Nevertheless, saying that "ISIS kind of folks" all look the same to me is an honest assessment of the physical characteristics of the typical ISIS member. It's stereotypical, sure, and there are always exceptions to every stereotype, but that doesn't make it wrong, or racist to acknowledge what is otherwise plainly evident, i.e., ISIS members tend to have a certain, similar look. It would be nice if they all had a singularly distinguishing mark of some sort, like a tattoo on the forehead that said ISIS or something, but they don't. So you have to go with what makes the most sense when vetting them.

The phrase "they all look the same to me" is a stereotype, yes, and like most all stereotypes, is rooted in the truth. But it's not racist, especially if it's a true and honest statement. Koreans, Japanese, Okinawans, North Chinese, South Chinese, Vietnamese, Pacific Islanders, they each have distinctly different physical characteristics that people of those regions and cultures can spot in an instant. Nevertheless, they all look the same to me. Exactly the same. But that doesn't make me racist because of it. Can you tell at a glance the difference between a Seminole, Navajo, Apache or Cherokee?

Incidentally, the word "vetting" is of British origin. It comes from having a horse "vetted" (examined closely by a veterinarian, to examine, appraise, assess) to ensure its proper fitness before a race. It was first used in print by Rudyard Kipling. My OED (Oxford English Dictonary) taught me that. :D

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had a nice/pleasant 1.5 hour talk with a fellow...a security guard....I asked if he was Hispanic...because you know they all look alike...Opps...he was an Afghani....Afghan retired military, work with Coalition troops..mostly US and Canadian...VERY nice fellow....Islam belief.....and we was talking...the major problem with America?.......the PRESS....BOTH sides....and the people that follow that stuff.....they know nothing of the way of life and most Americans have a preconceived notion thanks to a distorted PRESS.....Islam is no more murder and death then Christianity.....the extremist will take the "eye for an eye" you kill mine, I kill yours.. all out of proportion while another will reference "turn the other cheek" of peace and tolerance....

Reactions: scottm4211

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem starts with people not bothering to educate themselves, and forming their opinions and beliefs on what the press and social media provide them. And not doing as you did and talk. Fear of the unknown.
Yes, both sides.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem starts with people not bothering to educate themselves, and forming their opinions and beliefs on what the press and social media provide them. And not doing as you did and talk. Fear of the unknown.
Yes, both sides.
Some don't even go as far as news, they figure the latest meme is all the info they need.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
ISIS's best allies in the USA are our Federal Judges who negate travel bans .....sure makes it easy now for all the bad guys to have a free entrance now and to build up small groups of terrorists to do damage to us.....IMHO

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ISIS's best allies in the USA are our Federal Judges who negate travel bans .....sure makes it easy now for all the bad guys to have a free entrance now and to build up small groups of terrorists to do damage to us.....IMHO
really? they made it easy....how does that work?....it looks that everything stays the same...on the surface
so "they" did nothing....in the big picture the bad guy gets in anyhow....besides there are plenty of whacko Americans for sale to do the dirty work...

IMO this Travel Ban crap was just one big publicity stunt that went sideways real quick...Ill conceived, poorly thought out and poorly applied...he could have achieved so much more by quietly issueing an order to apply closer scrutiny to all applicants without all the fanfare and chest beating and now looking foolish...

Reactions: Ragman

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Maybe our best bet is for the citizens to pay more attention of our surroundings as best we can,,,,,easy to say and difficult to do......but with our present predicament idiotic vetting b/s, its all the citizens can do for the moment.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
People complain about who they let drive a big truck but could care less who is let in our country, I'm confused.

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
People complain about who they let drive a big truck but could care less who is let in our country, I'm confused.
me too?....who is letting who in....?....

5567.jpg

Reactions: Turtle and Ragman