Van insulation

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is there some reason that I shouldn't use fiberglass batt insulation in my sidewalls of my van? Was thinking of using these batts and then a 3/4 inch thick insulated wall board. Then reinstalling the factory panels back on over the insulation. And what's recommended for the ceiling thickness? Thanks.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Is there some reason that I shouldn't use fiberglass batt insulation in my sidewalls of my van?
Yes - aside from the potential health hazard of breathing the glass fibers, fiberglass batting will hold moisture which makes it less effective, or ineffective.

I'd recommend solid sheet insulation: styrofoam, extruded or expanded polystyrene, available at various building supply stores.

Install that (over any body ribs) and then caulk/seal any gaps or joints.

(If I had it to do again ...)

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I did the spray foam because the sides of the cargomax box varies in width . Total cost was $600 and was 2 sets of 3lb cans that i bought from menards.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Is there some reason that I shouldn't use fiberglass batt insulation in my sidewalls of my van? Was thinking of using these batts and then a 3/4 inch thick insulated wall board. Then reinstalling the factory panels back on over the insulation. And what's recommended for the ceiling thickness? Thanks.

Yes...it is very "dusty"..you will be one itchy person...I did the spray foam ..being a former Mechanical Insulator I had a few connections ...but you can get the "Froth Pak" @ Menards for $300 which will do your van...pretty easy to do...Google "froth pak"...

Sent from my SM-G900V using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
I used fiberglass batts thst are enclosed in plastic since most foams are produce toxic gas if heated. A short in a wire might be enough to make you ill, I also have alergies.

That was housed behind particle board, I would suggest the plastic bathroom wall board since it would be easier to work with.

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I used fiberglass batts thst are enclosed in plastic since most foams are produce toxic gas if heated. A short in a wire might be enough to make you ill, I also have alergies.

That was housed behind particle board, I would suggest the plastic bathroom wall board since it would be easier to work with.

Fiberglass dust is no fun if you have allergies. ..just remember. .to get rid of the "fiberglass itch"..the hottest shower you can stand..and scrub.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have had no problems with fiberglass so far. That's on the walls foam board on the ceiling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Also..insulating you van for the hot weather is pretty useless. ..UNLESS you separate the driving area with the windows from your sleeping area..an actual wall or heavy heavy curtains...the heat generated by the sun in the glass kinda overrides any thing the insulation has accomplished. .

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have had no problems with fiberglass so far. That's on the walls foam board on the ceiling.

What do you have covering the insulation?. .that is a big help...I am a big fan of foam board..look what a thin foam cup does for keeping your hands from burning on a hot cop of coffee. .and that is only 1/8"

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Fiberglass shouldn't be a big problem as long as you have it pretty well covered up, but you will breathe in some glass fibers, just the same. With all the jostling around it can't be helped. How much depends on how well it's covered, sealed or not, etc. Then again, look at how much dust accumulates in here. We're breathing all that in, too. No tellin' what all is in that.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Also..insulating you van for the hot weather is pretty useless. ..UNLESS you separate the driving area with the windows from your sleeping area..an actual wall or heavy heavy curtains...the heat generated by the sun in the glass kinda overrides any thing the insulation has accomplished. .
Best to cover any glass (windows, windshield) - from the outside - ideally with a reflective surface (that silver bubble wrap is a good candidate)

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best to cover any glass (windows, windshield) - from the outside - ideally with a reflective surface (that silver bubble wrap is a good candidate)

I started doing that years ago...people would come up and say....hey Isn't that supposed to be on the dashboard?.....I say Nope, not if you wanna stay cooler....In Laredo I double it up and the glass on the inside is actually cool to the touch as compared to an oven...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you have covering the insulation?. .that is a big help...I am a big fan of foam board..look what a thin foam cup does for keeping your hands from burning on a hot cop of coffee. .and that is only 1/8"

I used as many 4x8 sheets of 1/2 inch foam board where ever I could and then put the factory covering back in place...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As far as what you're breathing in--- that's already a lost cause. Check your windshield. I have to clean mine on a fairly regular basis inside. Looks like I smoke four packs a day in there, and truth is I've never smoked. That comes from fumes from our wonderful padded dashboards. Vinyl in the sun does that. It gets on your windshield, and there's a fair chance you're breathing in some of that.

I wonder if the foam board insulation can possibly do worse than that.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Then again, look at how much dust accumulates in here. We're breathing all that in, too. No tellin' what all is in that.
Truck stop dust? I can tell you what all is in that but I don't want to ruin your day or the rest of your life.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is an alternative to fiberglass insulation, UltraTouch Denim. http://www.bondedlogic.com/pdf/denim-insulation/UltraTouch-Denim-Spec-Sheet.pdf

It appears to be heavier than fiberglass or foam board. I insulated my bulkhead with a similar material I call automotive insulation. My van came with a rubber mat in the cargo area. It was backed with 1½" of a mostly shredded cotton material. I used an old fillet knife to separate the insulation from the mat. I like the sound proof qualities of this stuff.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I started doing that years ago...people would come up and say....hey Isn't that supposed to be on the dashboard?.....I say Nope, not if you wanna stay cooler....In Laredo I double it up and the glass on the inside is actually cool to the touch as compared to an oven...

I concur, I cut the material to fit all windows. Gives privacy as well as insulation.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I call it bead board the white paneling with beads running down it every few inches. Even if one was going to use foam board starting with batting might be good to fill voids.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Another option on wall covering is shower panel sheets, we used those in our sprinter. They were easily moldable with a heat gun. A cheaper option is also the heavy corrugated plastic panels. We bought those when we were going to redo our interior before we sold it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2