Van Choice

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Experienced drivers;

I was hoping that some of you could express your feelings on your choice of van. I am looking at why, perhaps, you chose a Sprinter over a 1 ton Ford or GM product - and how happy you have been with your decision. There seems to be some confusion for some newbies over which is the better choice.

Would also like to hear what your load carrying capacity is with the Sprinter, since most of you seem to purchase 3/4 ton Sprinters, not their dual wheeled 1 ton for obvious reasons, and how that weight capacity has affected the number of loads you have had to pass on.

I feel that YOUR input could benefit many.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I chose a Sprinter because I can stand up in it. I got tired of getting dressed while doubled over. My previous van was a short wheelbase E-350. Loaded with 2 skids and I had no place to sleep. Unloaded and I had to build a bed every day. With the Sprinter I can haul the same 2 skids and have a permanent bunk. The taller Sprinter makes it easy to get in taller freight. With other vans, even a 48" tall skid can be a tight fit.

I can haul 2500 pounds. And as with only being able to haul 2 skids versus 3 skids, not being able to haul more than 2500 pounds presents very little in the way of lost loads. I may have to pass on a 3 skid load, but you can probably count on one hand how many 3 skid loads I passed up and then got no load at all in its place. Many want to be able to haul 3 skids because they think they get more loads that way. They don't, by and large. They're just hauling a 3 skid load instead of a 2 skid load, nothing more. About 3 or 4 times in a year I'm faced with hauling 3 skids versus no load at all. That's not enough of an impact to justify a non-permanent, comfortable bunk. If you're not comfortable out here, if you can't get the rest you need when you need it, you're in trouble.

For every 3000 pound load I cannot haul, there's a 2000 pound load I can. I'm giving up essentially nothing by only being able to haul 2 skids and 2500 pounds.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
HFR

I've had two E-350's and two 3500's. I liked the Fords because because of the solid truck-like feel. My Fords were diesel so maintenance was more costly than the gasser would have been, but the improved MPG may have made up for the mantenance costs. I liked the seats for the two arm rests. The Ford provided two power points in the cargo are that were handy for the add-ons we all retrofit into our vans.

The Chevy/GMC has a longer wheelbase and a more comfortable ride. the cargo capacity is the same as the Ford. The seats could be more comfortable and each only has the inner arm rest. The outer armrest is moulded in the door, is hard plastic and at a slightly different height. Good vision all around.

Whether Ford or Chevy, I prefer side cargo door windows for better vision to the right when making left hand turns. I've had a turtle top installed on Ford and Chevy and find that to be a worthwhile investment in comfort and headroom. Each of my Fords, and the last Chevy gave me good service for over 500,000 miles.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Basically what Ken said.

We actually purchased the Sprinter for a different business initially, not expediting. We we decided not to pursue that opportunity, expediting wound up being the next choice on the short list.

Our initial reasons for purchasing the Sprinter were cargo capacity and fuel economy - both of which have turned out to be valid reasons. On the fuel economy end of things, I have often averaged 24 to 26 mpg, although I have not checked it in the last couple of months - I am sure it is down - due to both winter fuel and use of the Espar heater to heat the van while I'm laying over.

On the capacity end, when I was at my previous carrier I was the only Sprinter they had leased on - the extra capacity over a cargo van, while it sometimes didn't pay anymore, did allow me to get dispatched ahead of other vans because they couldn't haul three skids and I could.

Since changing carriers, where I am now out for extended periods and not returning home after every load, the additional space is being used to make living on the road a bit more comfortable. As Ken says, if you do not have at least a minimal degree of comfort out here you are in a world of hurt. Trying to spend 3, 4, 5, or more weeks out on the road without having a decent place to live and sleep would just be ..... painful. I'm 6' 1" tall - so having a vehicle I can stand up in is nice.

My Sprinter is set up very similarly to Turtle's - permanent sleeper bunk with a cargo area of 9' in length and can carry two 54" long pallets, weighing 2500 lbs.

I'm happy with the Sprinter as our choice of an expedite vehicle over a regular van - I do most of the maintenance myself and have thus far not found it to outrageously expensive compared to a different vehicle.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For those of you with the permanent bunk in the Sprinter is that the bulkhead with the bed crossways? I don't see how it can be comfortable with a bunk only 66" long I believe it is.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Neither Ken or mine have a bulkhead - just the sleeper bunk base running crossways in the vehicle - the vehicle is open from front to rear.

I'm 73" tall and my mattress is 66" - generally I sleep with my legs slightly bent at the knees ..... I don't find this to be particularly uncomfortable (my mattress is 36" wide) generally speaking - except for immediately upon awaking in the morning when I'm inclined to wanna stretch (..... although discomfort in the morning may be due to other reasons ..... :eek:)

While it is certainly not as plush as the king-size waterbed here at the house it is plenty comfortable ..... besides I often fall asleep on the couch when I'm at home anyways so maybe I'm predisposed ..... :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some have a full bulkhead, I don't. My bunk ain't movin', tho, so it's a very effective bulkhead for the first 30 inches up. :) I didn't want a bulkhead because I wanted to be able to get in front of the freight to secure it. But, yeah, it's crossways, same as a bulkhead would be.

It's 66 inches across, and I'm 69 inches long (that's 5' 9"). I rarely have the need to lay there fully extended, but if I do all that's needed is to lay on the bunk at a very slight angle (or even a slight bend at the hips) and there's plenty of room to stretch my toes. My bunk is just 30" wide, which for me is plenty, but if I were taller, like Stretch up there at 6' 1", then a slightly wider bunk would be needed in order to have that horizontal angle length.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We bought ours for both comfort and the customers my last carrier had( aerospace) After 5 years in a tuna can and being a team most of the time. We deserved a little comfort. No man should be on thier knees putting on thier pants! :)

caveman

Expert Expediter
I have a 2002 chevrolet express 3500 one ton van. I have driven Fords; a little smaller doors, but longer floor, noisy, not comfortable seats or no armrest. seems to get rusty easier. Dodge; small doors, not enough room, engine not strong enough, poor fuel mileage. back to my current Chevy. it has plenty of room, quiet, comfy with both armrest and nice cloth seats that will recline all the way back. Great mileage 18-19 mpg with or without load. only problem is side cargo doors broken like most of them (bad hinges) so its bolted shut.
I like my Chevy....:D:D oh it has over 250k and still rides like new !!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
To All Responding Posters;

That's what I like to see. POSITIVE information to be viewed and digested by others, intended to help others!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Keep up to date with vehicle specs . The last I heard Ford was allowed to use remaining inventory of 6.0 diesels in their vans but when that supply is used up there will no longer be a diesel available in any E-series Ford . Chevy diesels had a bad reputation for a while but the Duramax is now available in the cargo van . This is a very reliable engine . I know one hotshotter that just put over 100,000 miles on his year old 4500 with a Duramax and another that turned over 200,000 with a 3500 Duramax . Neither has had to perform any major repairs .
The rising cost of diesel fuel and cost of DPF equipment does make the advantage of a diesel questionable . A gasoline powered Sprinter is now available .