V-6 or V-8?

tman10

Active Expediter
Hello,

I'm new here and looking into cargo van driving.I can get my hands on a 04 GMC Savanha with a 6-cylindar(Cherry condition,99k miles).Are any of you running 6-cylindars in expedite?....Thanks :)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton???

Personally, I wouldn't even drive a full sized vehicle with a V6 as an every day vehicle, especially a Vortec V6 in a full sized van.

Bad idea.......and close to being a dumb question. Try loading 2000 lbs in a full size van with a little bitty ole V6 and then take a drive from Knoxville TN up 40 into Asheville NC over the Smoky Mountains. Or, load 2000 lbs in SLC and climb 80 heading east.

That my friend will answer this question very quickly.

tman10

Active Expediter
1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton???

Personally, I wouldn't even drive a full sized vehicle with a V6 as an every day vehicle, especially a Vortec V6 in a full sized van.

Bad idea.......and close to being a dumb question. Try loading 2000 lbs in a full size van with a little bitty ole V6 and then take a drive from Knoxville TN up 40 into Asheville NC over the Smoky Mountains. Or, load 2000 lbs in SLC and climb 80 heading east.

That my friend will answer this question very quickly.

Thanks Brisco and I know it was oh so close to a dumb question and thank-you for the answer.It's a 3/4 Ton van

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I would never buy a V-6 to do heavy sustained hauling with. A V-6 does not have the torque that a V-8 does and won't last long under everyday heavy use with a load behind it. It not only puts more strain on the engine but the drive line components as well. Good luck!!

I also wouldn't get less than a 1 ton (3500).
Also when running a V-6 under extreme conditions (heavy loads etc) your fuel mileage will be less than a V8 because of the strain.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
And don't take my "dumb question" remark to heart, OK!!! Just being me.....;)

Read the board thoroughly when you get time here and there, OK. To learn about the right van and engine set-up, read through the "Truck Talk" forum. V6 engine discussions have been brought up before. Not recommended for Expediting at all.

Heck, I'm not even a fan of V8's for OTR use either. Once you own the finest Diesel Engine ever produced for Class 3-4 trucks, CUMMINS, you kind of get spoiled being on the road. I've owned both the 5.9 and 6.7, and there's nothing like going through mountainess passes without missing a beat, or losing torgue, even with 10-12-15K lbs behind you, and passing Ford 6.0 and 6.4 PowerJokes left and right. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go with the 3500 long wheelbase for expediting and the V-8 is standard. Personally I'd go with the 6.0. The greatest factor effecting fuel mileage is your right foot. If your right foot causes you to speed, cut it off. It is better for you to enter expediting crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into debt.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Go V8. You will need it,,]]
Otherwise, you'll be slapping yourself in the head and saying...

129183514836273550.jpg

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
And don't take my "dumb question" remark to heart, OK!!! Just being me.....;)

Read the board thoroughly when you get time here and there, OK. To learn about the right van and engine set-up, read through the "Truck Talk" forum. V6 engine discussions have been brought up before. Not recommended for Expediting at all.

Heck, I'm not even a fan of V8's for OTR use either. Once you own the finest Diesel Engine ever produced for Class 3-4 trucks, CUMMINS, you kind of get spoiled being on the road. I've owned both the 5.9 and 6.7, and there's nothing like going through mountainess passes without missing a beat, or losing torgue, even with 10-12-15K lbs behind you, and passing Ford 6.0 and 6.4 PowerJokes left and right. :D

Ah Brisco, I wish I could buy a van with a Cummins! My old work truck was a Dodge 1 ton 4x4 with the 5.9... I regularly pulled anhydrous tanks, and feed wagons with 10k on, even in muddy farm fields. Loved that truck!

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

aileron

Expert Expediter
I know a guy with a Ford V6 with 650k on it right now. Still running strong. I don't know why you guys hate the V6 so much.

As for me, I only have a poor old inline 5 cylinder engine. :)

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Ah Brisco, I wish I could buy a van with a Cummins! My old work truck was a Dodge 1 ton 4x4 with the 5.9... I regularly pulled anhydrous tanks, and feed wagons with 10k on, even in muddy farm fields. Loved that truck!

Dale

Yes....and if Daimler/Chrysler would just beef up the suspension and beef up the Sprinters wall construction, instead of the thin tin cans they are, Dodge/Mercedes, or whoever owns the Sprinter rights this year, the Sprinter would be a perfect 2 million mile viable Cargo Van for Expeditors to use with low maintenance costs with a CUMMINS under the hood.

If GM and Ford can convert their Cargo Vans to accept real diesel engines, such as the 6.5, the Duramax, the 7.3, and the 6.0 PowerJokes, I don't see any reason why Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes could not convert those Sprinter bodies to accept the CUMMINS. Know what I mean.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I don't know the answer, but I will find out.

I got the answer E-250! It's mine.. I've been thru '93 7.3- rebuilt trans., loved it and still running it.. been thru V8 E350 which was ran over by a 18 wheeler. before that, I had to take it to FORD, looking for the "missing" - spark plug coil's- OUCH!. The V-6 has out ran all (miles), same weights over the mountain, only 1 coil 6 plugs or check the fuel filter for pressure.. simple maint. and LUCAS products everywhere..

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I know a guy with a Ford V6 with 650k on it right now. Still running strong. I don't know why you guys hate the V6 so much.

I know of quite a few Ford Rangers that are in this mileage range too. The guys run, or used to run, Federal Reserve Routes all throughout the N Texas region picking up and delivering banking records for the FR. One of the guys I knew well, "David", and last time I saw him, he was getting close to the 700K mark on his 98 Ex Cab Ranger with the 3.0 V6. Never been into the engine or tranny at all, just a lot of tires, brakes, water pumps, spark plugs, etc over the years and miles.

I'm not a "Hater" of the V6, just don't believe they're capable of handling the life of an OTR vehicle hauling close to 7-8-9K lbs continuously. (5500 lbs average for truck - 2-3000 lbs average for content)

I once bought a 2002 Chevrolet Reg Cab SWB Silverado to run a small auto parts contract here in the DFW area. I decided to save a little money on both the cost of the vehicle and overall fuel cost for that route by going with a V6. Biggest mistake I made in all the years I was in the "Contract Driver" business. Truck had no power when loaded, had to kick it up to the 3000 RPM range just to keep up with traffic, even the 3000 RPM range to climb simple grades(freeway overpasses) and only got like 12-14 MPG for city use having to drive it like that.

Had it in the shop 5 times for warranty work trying to figure out why it had no power whatsoever. Finally had a 'Service Manager" get behind the wheel with me. He told me to drive the truck like one would a Honda......torgue it out from the start, 3-4000 RPM from the get go. I argued with him saying you don't drive these trucks like you would a foreign dual overhead cam motor, they just won't last. He said it was my choice, but there's nothing wrong with that Vortec V6.

Traded that truck 2 weeks later for a 4.8 V8. Never had another problem trying to keep up with traffic, and my fuel cost went way way down. Still lost my *** on the trade in value though. Have not bought a "Full Sized" vehicle with a V6 since and never will again in the future.