used truck's

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
we have one of drivers at ceva bought used truck from a dealer
and didn't have all maintance record for all work that had been done to truck
truck broke down and dealer knew the truck was a lemon and sold it to him any way
he went back to dealer say
what about warranty truck was bought less than 90 days
he thought there was a one year warranty with the truck
dealer made him think there was some warranty
the warranty was not written into contract so no warranty
so make sure everything is written into contract
no maintance records run fast and far
so now he's going to sue dealer
that will cost

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Is it really worth suing ?
Spend time and money to tell a judge he won't honor a warranty he didn't give me ?
I feel bad for the guy, but if he couldn't figure out what he was signing he should have taken somebody with him.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
we have one of drivers at ceva bought used truck from a dealer
and didn't have all maintance record for all work that had been done to truck
truck broke down and dealer knew the truck was a lemon and sold it to him any way
he went back to dealer say
what about warranty truck was bought less than 90 days
he thought there was a one year warranty with the truck
dealer made him think there was some warranty
the warranty was not written into contract so no warranty
so make sure everything is written into contract
no maintance records run fast and far
so now he's going to sue dealer
that will cost

Don't mean to sound harsh,but everyone knows that's what car sales people do. Every vehicle on the lot is a great buy.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
My first thought when seeing the thread title was to wonder what belongs to a used truck.

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Some states have implied warranties of merchantability, regardless if written into the contract or not. Some states are not required to disclose information while others are. Never buy a used RV in AZ, that is where the dealer buy backs go and they are not required to disclose this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
That's really a bummer. A used truck is a scary buy. You have to really trust the person or company you are buying from and get those maintenance and repair records.

How bad is the repair that is needed? Like it needs a new engine or it's a $1000 repair? I know you never want to buy something and immediately fix it, but sometimes that's required to keep your business a float.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
It's a buyer beware when buying used trucks. We bought two 2007 Freightliner trucks at used truck dealer in northern Michigan for $80,000.00 that has been very costly for us. We had the trucks less than three months and the engine had to be rebuilt in one truck. The other truck had transmission problems and drive line problems. In six months we put over $40,000.00 in repairs on these two trucks. One of our new truck owners that we manage their truck bought a truck from the same place and this truck has had to have over $6000.00 in repairs before we would even put it in our management fleet. This dealer put new brake shoes on a truck to make it look like it had new brakes put on the truck, but all the drums was so thin the truck was unsafe. The owner had to put all new drums on the truck alone with a new pittman arm on the truck. My best advice is to ask if you can take the truck to a shop to have a GOOD DOT inspection done. The cost for the DOT is nothing compared to what it can cost you if you buy a truck that needs thousands of dollars in repairs.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
It maybe a good idea to see what the States lemon law is amd to take the vehicle to an independant mechanic before purchase.

Of course, could get the local tv station involved if they have consumer protection segments on the evening news, the threat often works wonders.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
The reason why I went with a used truck is I dont want to keep making payments on a new truck with high mileage. Three years can accumulate alot of miles to still make payments.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone buying a used truck should get a good inspection done, somewhere other than the dealership selling the truck. Hopefully by someone that you know and trust. It should be more than a DOT inspection, and don't forget the "little stuff" like having it weighed and measured.

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter
Couldnt agree more about the inspection part.

One thing I do is to look for newness in an old vehicle underneith, if its clean, no rust or evedance of being on the road when it has milage, something is wrong and defininatly an inspectiin is due.

If I smell a musty smell, I look for evidance of mud and rust, could have been in flood.

Price out of rang with others with same year and mileage? Something fishy.

Check yelp for car dealers reputation.

to add a few comments.