US row over Congressman Todd Akin's rape remark

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Is this guy from the same planet as us !!!

BBC

A row has erupted in the US after a congressman said women's bodies were naturally able to prevent pregnancy in the case of "legitimate rape".

Todd Akin, who is also running as Republican candidate for the Senate, made the comments in a TV interview to explain his strict views on abortion.

He later said he had "misspoken" but his Democratic rival said the comments were "beyond comprehension".

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said he disagreed with the view.

During the interview for KTVI-TV, Mr Akin was asked about his no-exceptions view on abortion, a highly charged issue in the US, and on whether he would like abortion to be banned even if the pregnancy was the result of rape.

He replied: "It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that is really rare.

"If it's a legitimate rape the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

"But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child."

'Flat-out astonishing'

The interview has sparked a furious reaction in the US, with critics attacking both Mr Akin's scientific view and his reference to "legitimate rape".

Democrat Senator Claire McCaskill said it was "beyond comprehension that someone can be so ignorant about the emotional and physical trauma brought on by rape".

"The ideas that Todd Akin has expressed about the serious crime of rape and the impact on its victims are offensive."

Ms McCaskill, who is trailing Mr Akin in opinion polls for the Missouri seat, said on Twitter that as a former prosecutor she had personally handled hundreds of rape cases.

On blogs and Twitter, users have also poured scorn on his biological view, and expressed concern that he is a member of the House Committee on Science.

Terry O'Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, told AP radio that the comments were "flat-out astonishing" and that such language was "intended to shame women".

A spokesman for Mr Romney said that both the candidate and running mate, Paul Ryan, disagreed with Mr Akin, and stressed that "a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape".

Mr Akin later issued a statement saying he had "misspoken" in his "off the cuff" remarks, though did not specify on which points.

He said the interview "does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year".

Mr Akin also reconfirmed that he "believes deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action".

The six-term congressman for Missouri is a long-time vocal opponent of relaxing abortion laws.

In 2011, he co-sponsored a controversial bill that would have limited the government help available to women seeking abortions in the case of rape to cases of "forcible rape".

After a public outcry, the House Republican party was made to change this language.

BBC News - US row over Congressman Todd Akin's rape remark

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The "legit rape" comment is strange, but he's correct that pregnancy resulting from a rape is rare, though not unheard of. He's also correct that we do not punish children for the crimes of their father's/sperm donor's; that the baby is as innocent as a baby resulting from a consensual act; that murdering that baby won't "un-rape" the victim; and that burning the baby to death in saline or ripping him or her limb-from-limb is just as unjust as the rape. No one is suggesting that the victim be made to keep and raise the baby; but murdering him or her just creates another victim, one who will never recover.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Legit rape? so no woman would lie and claim rape as an excuse for getting abortion or would lie about rape in the future for an abortion? just wondering

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The man is stupid. Open mouth insert foot.e

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always get a kick out of men talking about how women should feel about bearing a child conceived from a rape. In such a case i have to go with its the women's call.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The guy definately stuck his foot in his mouth. Particularily about how a women can "just shut thier bodies down". I don't know about that one. His stance about no abortions regarding rape isn't held by the majority of Americans. I can understand those who are against abortion though ,and how they want to protect the unborn child. Both sides have legit arguments......and they will NEVER agree.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Legit rape? so no woman would lie and claim rape as an excuse for getting abortion or would lie about rape in the future for an abortion? just wondering

It's probably what he meant, but being a politician Akin should know that his pontification and talking "off the cuff " about abortion, would open up a can of worms and create a fire storm for himself.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I always get a kick out of men talking about how women should feel about bearing a child conceived from a rape. In such a case i have to go with its the women's call.

I "get a kick" about people of both sexes being able to burn a baby in the womb with saline or rip it apart, literally limb from limb, after the point at which it has been established babies in the womb feel pain.
No one's suffering justifies doing that to a baby.
How about how the baby feels?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I get a kick out of people without a womb telling those with wombs what they can and cannot do with them.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I "get a kick" about people of both sexes being able to burn a baby in the womb with saline or rip it apart, literally limb from limb, after the point at which it has been established babies in the womb feel pain.
No one's suffering justifies doing that to a baby.
How about how the baby feels?

Glad to know your ok with the morning after
Pill.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are plenty of republicans already repudiating Akin's remarks and some are sure to request that he drop out of the race for the Missouri senate seat. One person, who would like Akin to stay, is the Democratic incumbant Claire McCaskill. She is currently 11 points behind in the polls. She soooh wants Akin to stay in the race and thinks it would be a radical move to have the republicans voters to be dissenfranchised by not allowing to vote for their chosen candidate.:rolleyes: She would like very much for Akin to stay in the race so she can beat this issue over his head like a frying pan." War on Women" will be her battle cry. :D
McCaskill downplays possibility of Akin departure after rape comments | The Daily Caller

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
She and her womb aren't the only ones in the equation.

I'm sorry but you are so totally wrong !!

It has nothing to do with anyone but her. People could advise her till they were blue in the face, but the final decision would be made by her and her alone.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't give a flip what the guy said, or did not say. I can't vote for OR against him, he is not in my district. NOT my problem. I don't understand why the BBC would care either. Kinda outta their area so to speak. Let those in his district decide on their own. I got my own Senators and congressman to deal with. I will pay attention to their stupidity. That is enough, IN FACT, when you take into account the stupidity of those running for PRESIDENT it is MORE than enough.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The BBC has always reported on World news :)

Yes, I know, BUT, one congressman in the United States hardly qualities as "World News". Just another idiot politician shooting his mouth off. England has enough of those to keep the BBC busy! Surely there is some "royal" making a fool of them self someone where to report on. There always is! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.