US Army POW is released in swap for 5 Gitmo detainees.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I generally never wander into the soapbox but having served my thoughts are this...

1) He clearly deserted his post and was not captured. In doing so he not only deserted but left his entire unit unguarded and at risk.

2) He cost the lives of servicemen searching for him.

3) We have broken the long standing rule of not negotiating with terrorists. NOTHING good will come of this for America.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Well, from the CNN story it appears that this matter may have some legs to it:

E-mails reported by the late Michael Hastings in Rolling Stone in 2012 reveal what Bergdahl's fellow infantrymen learned within days of his disappearance: He told people that he no longer supported the U.S. effort in Afghanistan.

"The future is too good to waste on lies," he wrote to his parents. "And life is way too short to care for the ****ation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be American. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

Bergdahl wrote to them, "I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting."
One can only wonder what it was that Bergdahl witnessed and saw with his own eyes that caused him to write the above.

It wouldn't be entirely surprising if some of those who Bergdahl served with are now attempting to vilify him in an effort to discredit him - perhaps as a consequence of what Bergdahl observed about them.

Six months later, Tom Glen, a 21-year-old soldier of the 11th Light Infantry Brigade, wrote a letter to General Creighton Abrams, the new overall commander of U.S. forces in Vietnam.

He described an ongoing and routine brutality against Vietnamese civilians on a part of American forces in Vietnam that he personally witnessed and then concluded, "It would indeed be terrible to find it necessary to believe that an American soldier that harbors such racial intolerance and disregard for justice and human feeling is a prototype of all American national character; yet the frequency of such soldiers lends credulity to such beliefs. ...

What has been outlined here I have seen not only in my own unit, but also in others we have worked with, and I fear it is universal. If this is indeed the case, it is a problem which cannot be overlooked, but can through a more firm implementation of the codes of MACV (Military Assistance Command Vietnam) and the Geneva Conventions, perhaps be eradicated".

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It also wouldn't be surprising if war is an ugly thing and the guy couldn't handle it. Because of that he is nothing more than a deserter who got others killed trying to find him.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
A little context, which flows out of work of the late Michael Hastings:

13 Things You Need to Know About Bowe Bergdahl

Key facts from the late Michael Hastings' profile of the freed Taliban POW

By Tim Dickinson
June 2, 2014 6:00 PM ET

The late Michael Hastings wrote the definitive magazine profile of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for Rolling Stone in June 2012. Now that America's Last Prisoner of War has been released, in a prisoner exchange for five high-ranking Taliban officials, Hastings' piece continues to offer crucial context – about why Bergdahl volunteered for service in the first place, about how this intense, moral young man became so horrified by America's "good war" that he walked away from his unit's remote outpost in eastern Afghanistan in 2009, and about the abortive negotiations that could have secured Bergdahls release years ago.

Here 13 things you need to know about the American POW who is coming finally home, in the words of Hastings' 2012 feature.

Read Hastings' full feature on Bowe Bergdahl, "America's Last Prisoner of War"

1) Bowe grew up near Hailey, Idaho, the son of California expats and ski bums Jani and Bob Bergdahl, who lived "nearly off the grid" on 40 acres, home-schooling Bowe and his sister Sky in a demanding curriculum:

Devout Calvinists, they taught the children for six hours a day, instructing them in religious thinkers such as Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine. "Ethics and morality would be constant verbiage in our conversations," his father recalls. "Bowe was definitely instilled with truth. He was very philosophical about perceiving ethics."

2) Obsessed with Bear Grylls and Man vs. Wild, Bowe sought at age 20 to join the French Foreign Legion.

He traveled to Paris and started to learn French, but his application was rejected. "He was absolutely devastated when the French Foreign Legion didn't take him," Bob says.

3) Seeking adventure, instead, in American uniform, Bergdahl enlisted in the Army in 2008. His intensity alienated fellow soldiers. A friend from his unit, Jason Fry, recalled Bowe's fierce independence and his prophetic warning:

"He wanted to be a mercenary, wanted to be a free gun," says Fry. "He had a notion he was a survivalist, claimed he knew how to survive with nothing because he grew up in Idaho…. Before we deployed… him and I were talking about what it would be like," Fry recalls. Bowe looked at his friend and made no bones about his plans. "If this deployment is lame," Bowe said, "I'm just going to walk off into the mountains of Pakistan."

4) Bergdahl's unit in Afghanistan — part of the Obama surge — was beset by deficits of leadership, "a collapse in unit morale and an almost complete breakdown of authority."

The unruly situation was captured by … a British documentary filmmaker [whose] footage shows a bunch of soldiers who no longer give a ****: breaking even the most basic rules of combat, like wearing baseball caps on patrol instead of helmets.

5) As his tour dragged on, the hellish reality of war — including seeing an Afghan child run over by an American truck — weighed on Bergdahl, who came to see America's presence in Afghan as "disgusting."

"I am sorry for everything here," Bowe told his parents. "These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid…
"We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks."

6) After receiving an email from his father exhorting him to "OBEY YOUR CONSCIENCE," Bowe slipped out of his unit's barracks on June 30th, 2009. One man versus the wilds of Afghanistan, Bergdahl was equipped with just a knife, water, a digital camera and his diary. Barely 24 hours later, he'd be taken prisoner. Bergdahl's capture is recorded in radio intercepts later released by WikiLeaks:

"WHAT HAPPENED. IS THAT TRUE THAT THEY CAPTURED AN AMERICAN GUY?"

"YES THEY DID. HE IS ALIVE."

7) Bergdahl could have been freed in a prisoner exchange almost immediately, but the American officer in charge did not pull the trigger on a prisoner swap:

Tribal elders from the nearby village...had been asked by the Taliban to arrange a trade with U.S. forces. The insurgents wanted 15 of their jailed fighters released, along with an unidentified sum of money, in exchange for Bowe. The officer hedged, unwilling or unable to make such a bargain, and no deal was struck.

8) There was an official cover-up — one that included White House pressure on the New York Times and AP to keep Bergdahl's name out of the papers.

[T]he Pentagon also scrambled to shut down any public discussion of Bowe. Members of Bowe's brigade were required to sign nondisclosure agreements [forbidding] them to discuss any "personnel recovery" efforts – an obvious reference to Bowe…. As Bowe's sister, Sky, wrote in a private e-mail: "I am afraid our government here in D.C. would like nothing better but to sweep PFC Bergdahl under the rug and wash their hands of him."

9) At one point during his captivity, Bergdahl escaped:

For his part, Bowe does not appear to be a willing hostage. [In] August or September [of 2011], he reportedly managed to escape. When he was recaptured, he put up such a struggle that it took five militants to overpower him. "He fought like a boxer," [said] a Taliban fighter who had seen Bowe.

10) Negotiations to bring Bergdahl home have been in the works for years — with Obama originally imagining the prisoner swap as an election-year overture toward a durable peace with the Taliban.

President Obama [has] announced that the United States will now pursue "a negotiated peace" with the Taliban. That peace is likely to include a prisoner swap – or a "confidence-building measure," as U.S. officials working on the negotiations call it – that could finally end the longest war in America's history. Bowe is the one prisoner the Taliban have to trade. "It could be a huge win if Obama could bring him home," says a senior administration official familiar with the negotiations. "Especially in an election year, if it's handled properly."

11) But the swap didn't have the backing of then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton or Pentagon chief Leon Panetta, who weren't ready to negotiate an end to the war, preferring the bloody path of counterinsurgency operations.

...Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, are very wary about making a swap for Bowe. "Panetta and Hillary don't give a **** about getting him home," says one senior U.S. official involved in the negotiations. "They want to be able to say they COINed their way out of Afghanistan, or whatever, so it doesn't look like they are cutting and running."

12) The negotiations were also impeded by Senator John McCain, who was typically level-headed in this exchange with future Secretary of State John Kerry.

McCain, who endured almost six years of captivity as a prisoner of war, threw a fit at the prospect of releasing five Taliban detainees.

"They're the five biggest murderers in world history!" McCain fumed.

Kerry, who supported the transfer, thought that was going a bit far.

"John," he said, "the five biggest murderers in the world?"

McCain was furious at the rebuke. "They killed Americans!" he responded.

"I suppose Senator Kerry is OK with that?"

13) The bureaucratic cluster**** in Washington had even led Bergdahl's heartbroken father to seek his own negotiations with Bowe's captors — explaining Bob Bergdahl's beard and
controversial command of conversational Arabic and Pashto.

Bob has considered going over to Pakistan – he's grown a bushy beard, and he has sent his own YouTube video, directed at the Taliban, asking for his son's release. "I'll talk to them," he says. "I'll bring him home myself."
Bowe Bergdahl: 13 Things You Need to Know | Politics News | Rolling Stone

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It also wouldn't be surprising if war is an ugly thing and the guy couldn't handle it. Because of that he is nothing more than a deserter who got others killed trying to find him.
And it also could be that Justice ultimately does prevail ... and Karma is real bee-otch ...

A premise that might cause many a head to rest uneasy ...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Oh the sheer horror !

What ... no wink, wink ... nudge, nudge ?

None needed. This situation should have been looked into before Obama made the illegal trade and certainly should have been made public before now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
None needed. This situation should have been looked into before Obama made the illegal trade and certainly should have been made public before now.
One might want to read Michael Hasting's original piece on Bergdahl, which is linked in the piece I posted above, if one hasn't already ... sheds a lot of additional light.

Assuming one can stomach it of course ...

paullud

Veteran Expediter

paullud

Veteran Expediter
One might want to read Michael Hasting's original piece on Bergdahl, which is linked in the piece I posted above, if one hasn't already ... sheds a lot of additional light.

Assuming one can stomach it of course ...

New information is out with much more evidence so an old article on this matter has no place. Clearly there was an accident that killed a child which might have been a catalyst but it is still not an excuse.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Facts don't matter. Bergdahl can't be at fault or wrong. Nothing matters actually other than America being wrong and at fault whether it's Afghanistan, Israel, Iraq or whatever. That's how some people roll.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
At the end of the day, the guy is an American and I don't see a problem trying to get him back. What I do disagree with, is trading for five Taliban prisoners. The reality is, these prisoners under the Geneva Law, will probably be released in less than two years. Probably Obamas way of dismantling the Gitmo disaster. One of the legacy to do things.
The biggest thing not to loose focus of is 14 men lost their lives chasing and looking for this guy.
Not a happy tale if this guy indeed turns out to be a deserter.
"Hero" is not a description I would be looking for.
Obama was looking for some good news despite the ever daily scandal. Should have kept getting this guy under the radar. At this point, looks like another foreign policy failure, with possibly long term ramifications.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Facts don't matter. America can't be at fault or wrong. Nothing matters actually other than someone else being wrong and at fault whether it's Afghanistan, Israel, Iraq or whatever. That's how some people roll.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Facts don't matter. Bergdahl can't be at fault or wrong...
You must have seen Susan Rice doing her "Bagdad Bob" act on ABC this weekend. How she can willingly go before the American public and with a straight face present outrageous lies like this one and her Benghazi tale is a truly unique character trait. She must be related to Obama.
“He is going to be safely reunited with his family. He served the United States with honor and distinction. And we’ll have the opportunity eventually to learn what has transpired in the past years, but what's most important now is his health and well being, that he have the opportunity to recover in peace and security and be reunited with his family. Which is why this is such a joyous day.”
Elsewhere in the interview, Rice says, "Sergeant Bergdahl wasn't simply a hostage; he was an American prisoner of war captured on the battlefield." She adds, "We have a sacred obligation that we have upheld since the founding of our republic to do our utmost to bring back our men and women who are taken in battle, and we did that in this instance."

Susan Rice: Bergdahl Served With 'Honor and Distinction' | The Weekly Standard

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
So basically at best he was an arrogant piece of crap that cost the lives of several Americans already.
Or a guy with a conscience, morals, and ethics ... and the fortitude to act on them.

Maybe one that wasn't so indoctrinated and married to the brainwashing that he hadn't lost his ability to change his mind when observations and circumstances warranted.

The article is using a lot of information that is opinion and given the new information coming out, no longer relevant or questionable.
Your post that I'm replying to is largely opinion ...

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
New information is out with much more evidence so an old article on this matter has no place.
Yeah ... that's kinda like saying Newton's observations about gravity no longer have any relevance ...

Clearly there was an accident that killed a child which might have been a catalyst but it is still not an excuse.
Correct - it's a reason ...

Who knows how many other reasons may exist that are still unknown.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At the end of the day, the guy is an American and I don't see a problem trying to get him back. What I do disagree with, is trading for five Taliban prisoners. The reality is, these prisoners under the Geneva Law, will probably be released in less than two years. Probably Obamas way of dismantling the Gitmo disaster. One of the legacy to do things.
The biggest thing not to loose focus of is 14 men lost their lives chasing and looking for this guy.
Not a happy tale if this guy indeed turns out to be a deserter.
"Hero" is not a description I would be looking for.
Obama was looking for some good news despite the ever daily scandal. Should have kept getting this guy under the radar. At this point, looks like another foreign policy failure, with possibly long term ramifications.

I have NO problem leaving a coward behind. He LEFT HIS POST, there is NOTHING more to be said.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think American is American regardless. I don't agree with putting peoples lives on the line or trading prisoners if he is proven to be deserter, but we still have a obligation regardless as to whether he is a "luzer" or moron. It would be a dangerous path of abandonment if we eliminate certain groups.
Then it turns in to, who decides and under what criteria?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think American is American regardless. I don't agree with putting peoples lives on the line or trading prisoners if he is proven to be deserter, but we still have a obligation regardless as to whether he is a "luzer" or moron. It would be a dangerous path of abandonment if we eliminate certain groups.
Then it turns in to, who decides and under what criteria?

We are not talking about a tourist, or a college student. We are talking about a soldier, who volunteered without being forced, to accept the terms of duty. He was assigned a guard post, and walked away, putting everyone one in his unit lives in danger. Lives were lost looking for him, after he walked away.

IF he had decided he could no longer serve as ordered he SHOULD have went the route that a man of honor would take, go through proper channels, and deal with the situation. Instead, he ran. Abandoning a guard post? In a combat zone? Are you kidding me?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You must have seen Susan Rice doing her "Bagdad Bob" act on ABC this weekend. How she can willingly go before the American public and with a straight face present outrageous lies like this one and her Benghazi tale is a truly unique character trait. She must be related to Obama.
Yes, unique character trait indeed. Her character is all about telling tall tales to please Obama, and say whatever he and his team want her to say.