UR CRAZY no mt $$

Monty

Expert Expediter
Tim, one of the hardest things to do is move from a semi, doing freight, to an expediter.

All the rules change! Some find it refreshing, some never adapt.

Having been in trucking for more than 40 years, simply going to an agent based company, (with a semi), to Hot Shot Express was daunting, but I found it truly refreshing.

From a job with Schneider TRANSPORT, (the union side), to Robert's Express in 1985 was a challenge. Then in 1994 I moved to Hot Shot, where I was responsible to decide if I chose to DH, or not. Along with choosing my own loads and determining where I would be best served for a load back was a challenge.

When I decided to return to expediting, I chose Landstar, simply because I enjoy the agent based concept. I still am 100% responsible for choosing my loads, where I wish to DH too, (if at all), what type of equipment I care to run, etc.

And a sidenote, (from another thread), there is NO performance % to peanalize me. But understand, if I do not perform for myself, or the agents, I will soon be starved out of the businees by my lack of revenue and by the agents asking, "Why use him, he's not in it for the long haul anyway."

Yes, things are indeed different in expediting, even among the different carriers the differences are striking.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
So if you get paid a % of the revenue of the truck, forget about the miles..be they DH or loaded...you know what the load pays when you take it...you then also know what you % of that is....there is where the deicision to take the load comes in, not the number of miles being driven.....

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
the games we learn in expiditing are hard ones some are stupid but all together you can make a few more dollars expiditing than truckload without working as hard

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Desperado wrote:

without working as hard

Hey come on!! Climbing in and out of the truck and opening and closing those rear cargo bax doors can be a real pain labor intensive and even hurt you...thats why i love my "rollup door"!!! :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, there are fonts, colors and sizes that could be worse but our blue friends are difficult enough to read as is. The main point was not to criticize someone else for readability when one purposely significantly degrades their own readability.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
Desperado wrote:

door"!!! : Hey come on!! Climbing in and out of the truck and opening and closing those rear cargo bax doors can be a real pain labor intensive and even hurt you...thats why i love my "rollup D

yep sure is so is walking into truckstop to recive a fax or walking in to to pick up a 2 LB box straping it in the pass seat then taking it back out and walking up 2 steps and having to ask someone how to spell thier name yep a hole lot of work for a extra $50 lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, there are fonts, colors and sizes that could be worse but our blue friends are difficult enough to read as is. The main point was not to criticize someone else for readability when one purposely significantly degrades their own readability.
Good point. Hypocrisy. I usually pick on that. I'm slipping. :D

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Tim, you can make money at this. The biggest issue I see, is that
you're finding out about this business AFTER you've already begun.