UPS Expedite name change...UPS Express Critical

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
Officially today, our name has been changed to UPS Express Critical. What this means for recruiting is beyond me, because I haven't been told very much at all, but we have been integrated with several smaller entities of UPS (sonic,being one), which means we will be getting a huge increase of customer calls. We have hired 20-25 new agents here in Overland Park in anticipation of these phone calls, so that should translate into more freight for I/C's, which also MAY increase our need to recruit more drivers. Corporate management is being very careful with information, so please don't bombard me with questions regarding the direction or usage of I/C's in the near future. It's unclear how many drivers we will be hiring, or when that will happen, but one thing is for sure: We are moving forward in the arena of expedited freight, and I am quite excited to finally see what we can do with the UPS customer base. ;)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
RE: UPS Expedite name change...UPS Express Critica

Gotta wonder what they paid for the consultants to come up with that original name!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Well it does make sense to throw you together with the Sonic Air division. (Is it still really called UPS Sonic Air, or is that all called Express Critical now?) Please keep us posted. It will be interesting to see what happens in the near future.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

I guess in rereading your post, I answered my own question. Doh!

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

fortwayne

Not a Member

So ----- what is the OFFICIAL source of this RUMORED name change?
I don't think we can post this kind of information unless we can provide OFFICIAL documentation of such.
Please advise where we know this is just not ANOTHER RUMOR that came down through the gossip chain - afterall it is hard to believe that a company like UPS would change the name to UPS Express Critical and base hiring and moving forward into expediting on nothing more than a name change.
Besides, until the OFFICIAL documentation gets out there, is it not possible they could just use this BIG NAME CHANGE to still broker out their loads to a FEW other expediting companies, MAYBE just ONE other company.......and is it possible that this is the way they will BUILD THEIR NAME is by brokering out to other companies UNTIL they build their own DRIVER base large enough to handle it themselves.
Just a thought - nothing more - nothing less...I mean afterall I hate rumors.

Fort Wayne
Guided By God

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Fort Wayne,

Before you start with the accusations of this being rumors, you need to know that jbrbears is a RECRUITER for UPS, well established on this forum. He's not starting truck stop talk, he IS the source for the truth about UPS on this forum.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Jeff...but his motives are "guided by God"

fortwayne

Not a Member

Ontman, or whatever you go by - if you want to attack me fine, but do not even bring God into your attacks, dude that is not right.
OK, now Jefferson3000 I DID NOT SAY THIS WAS A RUMOR, all I said was we should have a reference of information to go to before we believe everything people tell us.
In case you do not know I had my tailbone ripped out for not posting my sources for information I passed on. I will not go into detail but what is good for one SHOULD APPLY to everyone.
Beside, how am I to know what everyone's position with all the various companies are.
I mean afterall do you know what I do, how long I have do it, and what my other position is?
Didn't think so.

Fort Wayne
Guided By God

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

If'n ya got some tail bone left, I wouldn't worry about the small stuff, at all. Anyway, why would you folks care what they do?? If you are choosing to jump from the ship you are on, and they didn't want you when you applied, they probably won't want you with their new name. Leopards (drivers/owner operators) don't change their spots, much that I know of.

Seems tho, the name is getting a little closer to fedup. Could cut some customer confusion with an ownership change, ya know.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

fortwayne...your absolutely right...I apologize for the God remark...no excuses for my being too quick off the keyboard without thinking...

That being said I couldn't give a rats @ss bout UPS anyways!!!*L*

fortwayne

Not a Member

ontman - now that takes a real big person and person with some morals and values to step up and say sorry in public. no problem - your fine. we all take missteps in life, but, we have the guidance to find the correct path.

Fort Wayne
Guided By God

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Really?!?

I would think the consultants got themselves a bonus for this one.

but I find it rather odd, wouldn't make more sense to use proper English and call it UPS Critical Express?

I think that this brand will be hard to remember in it's present form of UPS Express Critical, am I right?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Hehehe. Harder than Custom Critical? Customers will probably end up referring to it as UPS Express or UPS Critical.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

fortwayne

Not a Member

Customers will just refer it as UPS.........heck they will still have to provide the service.(expect that to come from other expediters)
And after the others HELP build the UPS expedite reputation up while they are building up their own driver base expect them to sell it off. I am still going with Panther being their main carrier source, with Tri-State and Express-1 being right there. Then after those three carry the weight UPS will dump them and 'take the credit' for such a smooth operation and sell off.
PS: I AM NOT STARTING A RUMOR. I REPEAT I AM NOT STARTING A RUMOR. THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN MY THOUGHTS ON WHAT UPS MAY OR MAY NOT DO IN THE FUTURE. NO ONE ELSE CONTRIBUTED TO THESE THOUGHTS EXCEPT THAT OF MYSELF AND THESE THOUGHTS ARE BASED ON MY OWN FREE MINDED FEELING REGARDING THIS MATTER AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY 'INSIDE' INFORMATION I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE COLLECTED IN ANY PREVIOUS CONVERSATIONS WITH ANY ONE ASSOCIATED WITH UPS OR OUTSIDE OF UPS.

Fort Wayne
Guided By God

FireGears

Expert Expediter

I AM NOT STARTING A RUMOR. I REPEAT I AM NOT STARTING A RUMOR. THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN MY THOUGHTS

So you SAAAAY, Herr FortWayne...

"Just my thoughts"...

You expect us to believe they just popped into your head, maybe..???

You SAAAY there vas no ...'INSIDE' INFORMATION

Do you think you can fool us, Herr FortWayne.???

DO YOU THINK WE ARE STUPID.???!!!!
Oh... OK... We probably are..!!!

It's back to the road tomorrow... see ya.!!!!! :+

Keep Smiling

plus

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter

I knew when I got to work this morning there would be tons of "speculation". you guys crack me up :7 . As far as how we're moving forward and going to present the "Critical" brand, Only corporate management knows, we've only been given "snippets" of information. IMO, Yesterday marked an acknowledgement of the "top dogs" that UPS now has an Expedite, custom critical, Express critical division. To them, the name change is huge, due to the fact that there were 5 of the top 10 managers of UPS here yesterday for the presentation and the cutting of the tape. For me, it's still business as usual, the same as it's been for the last 11 years under Emery and Menlo.
Fort Wayne, you MAY be closer in your guess than you know....I'll just leave it at that....;)

Now that this is done, I expect things to happen quickly, but not necessarily the way most of us may think it should....more info later.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

It seems obvious to me that UPS is aiming to take advantage of the Custom Critical reputation and glean a few customers from the sole major competition by brand name confusion. These folks aren't just thinking about expediting they have the big picture in mind. A carrier that can obtain satisfied expedite customers just might be called upon for the other freight handling services offered.

What piece of freight draws the most attention from a customer's upper management?
A. A critical overnight expedited part;
B. a second day parcel; or
C. a linehaul skid of material that will be shelved at the consignee until needed?

Of course, the answer is A., the expedited part that might be needed to repair an assmbly line or otherwise keep a customer's production moving.

Who among us has not had an owner or suited manager express his extreme satisfaction for a job well done because a part arrived on-time as promised. That satisfied owner/manager is more likely to call our carrier, over the competition, for his 'other than expedite' shipping requirements. If the customer calls for an expedited shipment and gets sticker shock at the price, the booking agent can offer other less expensive shipping alternatives, thereby keep the cutomer from calling other carriers. UPS is apparently working toward this capability on as large a scale as FedEx.

On a related matter, when we are later than scheduled, for a critical shipment, whether or not beyond the driver's control, that same owner will be in our face to tell us that they will never use our carrier again. That is why we have to individually be the best at what we do; on-time, every-time. A customer lost to a carrier's expedite business may be lost to the carrier's non-expedite business.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter

actually, we are looking to be able to offer expedited service to existing UPS customers, which is probably a large amount...