United Van Lines

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
United has launched their new Expedite Service called Zero Hour.
"We are pleased to offer this new specialized service to our current customers and potential customers who have shipments that need expedited service",said President Pat Larch."This is just one more way the UniGroup Companies continue to prove they are truly a one-stop shop for all transportation ,relocation and logistics services.In fact,we began booking business on the second day of operation"

United has asked all 550 agents nationwide to canvas their area with flyers and phone calls.I guess I'm selling expedited services.Since I know the competition,and the lack of qualified happy sales people,I'll have a few of the big guys in my cross hairs.Wish me luck!

Last edited:

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
United has launched their new Expedite Service called Zero Hour.
"We are pleased to offer this new specialized service to our current customers and potential customers who have shipments that need expedited service",said President Pat Larch."This is just one more way the UniGroup Companies continue to prove they are truly a one-stop shop for all transportation ,relocation and logistics services.In fact,we began booking business on the second day of operation"

United has asked all 550 agents nationwide to canvas their area with flyers and phone calls.I guess I'm selling expedited services.Since I know the competition,and the lack of qualified happy sales people,I'll have a few of the big guys in my cross hairs.Wish me luck!

After reading your post I called United spoke with a Justin with Zero Hour who advised they are farming out all their loads to current expediting companies but are looking into leasing their own if it proves to be profitable.

So if there are any running under their own authority here is another avenue for revenue.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
TallCal,
I'm surprised there aren't a bunch of people trying to explain to you how it isn't "real" expedite because it isn't a particular company that is doing it.

Hey good luck on pushing that new service. I think it would be interesting to see how the big players will react to such a big company coming on the scene if it pans out. I just have a bad feeling it won't be good for most of the dependent contractors.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Basically another broker at this point. I don't think it will have any more or less impact than when UPS decided to have a expedite service. Could be another source for ones that obtain their own freight.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Basically another broker at this point. I don't think it will have any more or less impact than when UPS decided to have a expedite service. Could be another source for ones that obtain their own freight.

Yep,one more call to make. And, that is not a bad thing. Probably won't help the dependent contractors much, so why would you want to be one?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some upsides and some downsides, so we do both.
If anything, another call that might produce something?

Last edited:

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The problem is that the Contractors cut will be less. United books a shipment and turns it over to Joe Bob's Express who in turn offers it out to BigBubba and Rudy.

Now United will take it's cut,Joe Bob taks a cut and BB and Rudy are left with the crumbs.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Very true. You have to obtain the freight from the source. If it passes through too many hands, it just becomes cheap freight.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
A good chunk of freight works that way. When "preferred customers" are brokers and other expedite companies, no wonder cheap freight finds its way onto trucks at discount rates.