Union workers refuse to build mosque near ground zero

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The Law of Unintended Consequences never sleeps and is always hard at work ....

It doesn't take a genius to figure out the resultant headline:

"American Union Workers, Unwilling To Support Religious Freedom, Replaced With Foreigners"

Such headlines will no doubt make us respected throughout the world for that thing which we desperately desire to be (but are apparently incapable of) - the bastion of religious freedom and tolerance.

And some people actually wonder why ....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't think you would see foreign non union workers on any job, let alone this mosque for very long without some serious violence happening....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't think you would see foreign non union workers on any job

Want to bet?

Foreign non union workers are here, a lot of them are roving gangs of workers who jump from site to site and work with union workers.

These are the cement workers, the carpenters and the laborers who seem to all appear at once on a job site. It's been happening for years and I think there is even a group who helps coordinate the work.

One such arrangement has been the use of foreign (Mexican and Argentinian) road workers here in the state. They work here as part of imported labor for these road companies and there are union dues paid to shut the union up but these are not union member. Everyone makes out from the company who pays them lower wages, the union who gets a cut of money and the people who are working and moving on. The people who are screwed are the tax payer and the people driving the roads.

The recent work at one of the GM plants included workers from Eastern Europe - nonunion and very very underpaid.

The difference is that NYC union workers are not the same as the union worker in any other part of the country. They actually tell you that they are owed a living while the others think they are.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I don't think you would see foreign non union workers on any job, let alone this mosque for very long without some serious violence happening....
Could be very well be ..... the tendency towards truly criminal conduct is becoming rather commonplace throughout the general population is it not ?

Of course, the headline would then be:

"Criminal American Mob Attacks Foreign Workers Supporting Religious Freedom"

Another case of outstanding public relations for the United States as the bastion of the Rule of Law, Civil Rights, and Religious Tolerance ..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, I guess i should have stated in NYC, but I would have thought that since the mosque was the topic of the post and I did mention "let alone this mosque " it wouldn;t have been a far stretch to realize the NYC was what i was talkin about...then to leave off the rest if the statement...lol...its all good....

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's an interesting article that sheds some new light on the GZ Mosque:

Ajami: Rauf and Islam's Encounter with America - WSJ.com

"The truth is that the trajectory of Islam in America (and Europe for that matter) is at variance with the play of things in Islam's main habitat. A survey by Elaph, the most respected electronic daily in the Arab world, gave a decided edge to those who objected to the building of this mosque—58% saw it as a project of folly.
Elaph was at it again in the aftermath of Pastor Terry Jones's threat to burn copies of the Quran: It queried its readers as to whether America was a "tolerant" or a "bigoted" society. The split was 63% to 37% in favor of those who accepted the good faith and pluralism of this country."

It would seem that there are a lot of reasonable people of all faiths that are convinced that the Imam Rauf and his developers need to cut out the stonewalling and work out an acceptable compromise on this thing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why should there be any compromise?

The issues may be with the guy but a lot of ignorant people look at the religion as one in the same for everyone.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why should there be any compromise?
Well, to get the thing built is the first thing that comes to mind - assuming that's the prime objective. But maybe that's not really the case, as speculated in previous posts and articles.
The issues may be with the guy but a lot of ignorant people look at the religion as one in the same for everyone.
No - that's not the problem. There are issues with the Imam, but those are minor compared to the main one: Location, Location, Location.