UD 2600 or Hino 268 (used truck decision)

Which one will you buy?

• UD 2600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hino 268

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
(I think) the ISB is reasonable. Cummins made a couple of stinkers, but I don't remember which was which. It might be the ISC I'm thinking of. Regardless, you need to check coolant level frequently. I think it's the ISB that suffered frequent egr cooler failures. If coolant disappears and isn't leaking externally, I immediately suspect the egr cooler. It's expensive, but easy to replace. Other than that, this should be a good engine.

Those two transmissions are essentially equally efficient.

What will make the biggest difference is the ratio of the gears in the rear end. You don't want to be running high rpm down the interstate all day, you'd rather be turning near the torque peak. A numerically high gearset is great if you're doing inner-city delivery, but on the highway you'll be begging for another gear. Which gearset do you want? I don't know. Calculating that takes some time. You need to test drive each truck you're interested in for at least half an hour (preferably longer) including time on the highway. Youll be able to tell, I think.

ERROR
From the info they provided, it's 5.57.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
From the info they provided, it's 5.57.

You're gonna be turning 2100 at 65 mph. Yuck. I mean, it'll work, but the mileage will suffer. A 4.88 rear will have the engine turning at 1870 rpm at 65mph. A 4.11 gear will have the engine at 1570 rpm at 65 mph. If you're not running heavy and going over mountains regularly, then I'd aim for a 4.11. If you do see hills frequently, or you're running heavy, a 4.88 makes more sense.

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
I do hill pretty often, load will be around 10k lb, going to I-85 in Carolina and I-75 Gatlinburg, TN, normally drop to 55-60 from 65MPH with FL I rented earlier this week.

What happen when I go over mountain with 4.11 and the 10k lb. load? Significantly less pulling power and speed?

What would you recommend in this scenario, I would say I normally set my cruise control at 65-70MPH? Another question is how much will it cost to change the drive-axle ratio? What's the percentage of fuel I'll be saving?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I do hill pretty often, load will be around 10k lb, going to I-85 in Carolina and I-75 Gatlinburg, TN, normally drop to 55-60 from 65MPH with FL I rented earlier this week.

What happen when I go over mountain with 4.11 and the 10k lb. load? Significantly less pulling power and speed?

What would you recommend in this scenario, I would say I normally set my cruise control at 65-70MPH? Another question is how much will it cost to change the drive-axle ratio? What's the percentage of fuel I'll be saving?
If you're going to Gatlinburg with 10k on board, the 5.57 gear might not be a bad idea. If you were strictly highway it doesn't make sense, but now it does.

Swapping the gears isn't that difficult. It'll take a few hours. And your speedometer will need to be recalibrated. The price of a good used gearset may be significant, at least $500, possibly double.

I can't answer the mileage question.

atlwww

Rookie Expediter
If you're going to Gatlinburg with 10k on board, the 5.57 gear might not be a bad idea. If you were strictly highway it doesn't make sense, but now it does.

Swapping the gears isn't that difficult. It'll take a few hours. And your speedometer will need to be recalibrated. The price of a good used gearset may be significant, at least $500, possibly double.

I can't answer the mileage question.

I guess I'll test that out for now. If needed, will change in the future.

Thank you for all your answers, you've been great help. I hope I can buy you a pack of beer for this Memorial day, if you pm me your email. :)