Tyt Index

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Every day the questions are asked, how many miles can I run a week, in a van, in a straight truck, in a tractor, 1000, 1500, 2000, ............ ?

The answers always are , it depends, on your carrier, on your location ,on your expediting sense, on the economy.............etc.

I suggest that we use a new standard of measuring the choice of carriers, the state of expediting or the type of truck chosen ........etc.

It would be the TWIDDLE YOUR THUMBS INDEX. For instance, so and so had a TYT index last week of 100hrs, or stay away from that carrier, they averaged a TYT of 135.8 with their straight trucks! Or I can't &*%$#$@ believe that last week I had a TYT of 180 hrs.

Well you get the idea, using the TWIDDLE YOUR THUMBS INDEX might very well change how we view the state of expediting!

just my opinion

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No. Because YOUR can be singular or plural. Of course, being from Michigan, it could be the TYGT (Twiddle Yous Guyses Thumbs).

kg... I like that idea. We could set up a graph on the forum for everyone to chart their TYTI score (I=index). We could call it the TYTI bar.

GoGrammaGo

Seasoned Expediter
No. Because YOUR can be singular or plural. Of course, being from Michigan, it could be the TYGT (Twiddle Yous Guyses Thumbs).

kg... I like that idea. We could set up a graph on the forum for everyone to chart their TYTI score (I=index). We could call it the TYTI bar.

ok, UL, you out funnied me this time. Good one!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How would a thumb twiddling injury effect the index? Mine are so over twiddled that I've suffered ligament strains with a possible tear. I'm going to need an MRI to be certain.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Using your thumb-twittling time (dwell time) as an objective indicator has some merit, but it can also be poorly used by drivers who are looking for a way to justify bad relocation decisions.

For example, consider a driver who lives a hundred miles away from a good freight center, and goes home thinking, "I can wait home for free instead of sitting here at this truck stop." At home, the driver stays in service and builds dozens and even hundreds of hours of TYT time. In that case, a high TYT index says more about the driver than the carrier. It could very well be that other drivers that have the better relocation sense have a lower TYT index.

Diane and I have rule of thumb (pun intended) that we follow. If the freight does not come to us within 24 hours of a delivery, we go to it. Consequently, our TYT index would be quite low compared to many drivers. But our unpaid deadhead index may be higher.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your absolutely right Phil. TYT souds as good as the next. Everybody`s figures are different for the reasons you mentioned and then some. I get tired of reading about those kinds of questions and the whining that goes with it. I think the best index is the figure that goes into your bank account every month, and that too will vary from person to person. You could call it the CIH index, which is "cash in hand". The best mangers will have the highest index number. The carriers already crunch the numbers and have their individual efficiency index. So do the shippers. They make their business decisions on those numbers. O&O`s should also, and they should change operational procedures accordingly.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
How about if you are hung up in a place like Fargo ND like I was last week. The temp was 31 below zero. Wouldn't that hinder the ability to twidle? Would the use of mittens restrict the twiddle factor? Frozen feet could certainly restrict toe twidling. It's all so confusing and complicated. I don't know if I can take the pressure to perform properly as I twiddle. I really take the obligation to be a professional in all aspects of this industry seriously. Is there a place where I can learn to twidle under duress????