Two questions, its ok I have a coupon for ask 1 get 1 free

carmi777

Seasoned Expediter
Hey everyone, thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. Two questions:

I understand that expedite drivers are independent contractors, but are there any expedite companies that hire company drivers to do same type of expedite straight truck/van OTR work (not just local driving). Not a deal breaker for me, but do like the idea of a company with bigger pockets being behind the maintenance of my truck and paycheck as opposed to an individual owner who may choose not to maintain the equipment or skip out on payroll. Just easier for joe schmoe to do it than a company.

2) since it is mainly independent operator deal (done it b4, it's all good), do any expedite companies offer the opportunity to buy into GROUP medical insurance. I have some monies saved up and a major medical incident without insurance is the #1 reason people lose their security/money. (I'm talking about the real medical insurance not something that comes out of a duck and pays me like a $100 a day while I lay in a hospital that operates out of a 1982 chevy conversion van because that's all I could afford...lol)

I posted another question on newbie forum if you have any personal experience, knowledge, or insight I would greatly appreciate it.

My info: chicago area, CDL A (but looking for straight or sprinter/van) Hazmat, clean record, currently drive truck in the Chicago area.

Thanks,

greg334

Veteran Expediter
1 - Yes there are - no I don't know who does now but there has to be.

2 - Yes I think Express-1 is one company but if there is ever a question about employment and how you are treated, it can be construed as part of an employee status, not a contractor status which they would owe back taxes.

carmi777

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Greg thanks for info. The company driver vs. IC not a deal breaker, status itself not the prob, just the backing of the truck maintenance and my paycheck. I've been IC before, like it, but I was IC contract/paycheck/equipment etc was directly with the company as opposed to someone contracted with the company. I'm sure overall there are no issues since if the owner isn't maintaining equipment he's not going to be making money real fast. If he's not meeting payroll he's going to lose status with the expedite co. (at least I would hope so).

The buying of health insurance and occupational/accident insurance is something important. I accept I would have to pay probably whole amount, but buying into GROUP health insurance as opposed to individual is a lot cheaper. I understand what you are saying though that depending how a company treats it's IC workers it may be retitled as an employee by IRS/govt. I didn't think access to buy into group health would jeopardize the IC status, I could be wrong though.
Thanks Greg for answering my post.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Carmi: can't help on insurance, but I can offer some advice on looking for an owner. You are correct about the maintenance, [if trucks get put out of service or break down, revenue is impacted], but still, there are owners who would rather replace drivers than keep the truck in good order.
Not all of them, of course - the owner for whom I drive is one of the good ones, and we keep the truck in tiptop shape.
If you intend to drive for an owner, you'll want to talk to several of his previous and current drivers, and read the contract [you NEED a contract] very carefully. Make sure it's clear on who is responsible for what expenses, and what responsibilities belong to which party. [IE: if truck is in shop overnight, does owner pay for a motel?]
What you are wrong about is the carrier's having a problem with unscrupulous owners - they very often don't, as they remain strictly neutral in owner vs operator disputes. The carrier contracts with the owner, and will not intervene if the driver isn't paid. This makes it imperative to learn all you can about a prospective owner. You also want to consider just how much oversight you're comfortable with: some owners will want to know about every load you're offered, others will want to hear from you only if you have a problem.
Like the carrier, you want to pick what makes you feel comfortable.

carmi777

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for the insight Cheri. Yeah I've picked up on that abut getting a contract ans spelling everything out before it happens. That's my only challenge with driving for an owner as opposed to being IC directly with the company or company driver for same expedite company.

You make a good point about the expedite company remaining neutral. I could see that and why they would. Not that I necessarily agree.

Always open to advice on owners. My start date goal is April. Gives me a chance to do what I have to do to prep for OTR lifestyle, get more info to make good decisions, we're a little light workwise right now at my current job (off season) where normally it's crazy so enjoying the rest and relaxation right now, and something that is important to me ethically is that I want to give my current employer 2 weeks notice. I may not be crazy about the job, but overall minus some drawbacks, they've been ok to me. You never want to burn bridges anyway - never know when you just may have to cross back.

To something you said. I wouldn't want an owner who's going to micromanage me and be bothering me every minute of the day, but I actually would very welcome his experience of what loads to take, turn down, when it's a good idea to deadhead to relocate, etc... while I'm learning the industry, tricks, and patterns.
Thanks for all your help Cheri.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
You might want to consider taking the contract to a Lawyer who has experience in transportation contracts and let him go over it before you sign anything. A good owner wouldn't mind if you did that! In my opinion, If the owner objects to it then he's hiding something that he doesn't want you to see or understand. If that's the case then I would thank him for his time and walk away:D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
carmi777;42086 To something you said. I wouldn't want an owner who's going to micromanage me and be bothering me every minute of the day said:
When I first drove a straight truck, I got lucky, and teamed with the owner for a month. [I'm a smoker, she's allergic - but we both survived, and remain on good terms, lol]. I learned what the owner wanted done, and how the carrier operates [still with them], which loads to refuse, etc. It was great, and I highly recommend it, if possible.
Another good idea is to team with an experienced driver for the carrier you've picked - it may be less than ideal, but you can put up with a lot when it's temporary.....

carmi777

Seasoned Expediter
You both make great points. Too bad we don't have a "dac" report on owners and companies like they have on us.

Cheri, great idea, but to be honest I feel like a kid with a plate of broccoli in front of him with the idea of teaming with someone...lol. I'm not anti-social and i don't hate people, but the idea of being with a stranger in a truck for a month..24/7...I'm lactose intolerant so I can't even put any cheese on that broccoli...lol.

I drive truck in Chicago area, and most of the time i have to take a helper in the truck. Nice guys, work hard, always really nice to me; but I'll tell you the runs I get where I can run solo are my favorite runs.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand that expedite drivers are independent contractors, but are there any expedite companies that hire company drivers to do same type of expedite straight truck/van OTR work (not just local driving).

Below is a link to an expedite company that runs company equipment. I don't know much about them other than I have seen them on the road and they have terminals in Chicago, Rockfish, Milwaukee and other midwest cities.

Straight Shot Express