Turtle Top van

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah that's what I thought but I was being generous and giving him an opportunity to explain his mismatched pictures and specs.

Dear STurtle, why can't a company, that is presumably trying to sell a product, clearly state the specifications for each model? What are they trying to hide? I'm a stupid van owner looking to buy a new van. I don't need smoke and mirrors. I want some simple specifications. Pictures are nice. I like looking at pictures. If you want to add written descriptions with the pictures make sure the words accurately describe the pictures. Are you the same Shane that runs 70 psi all around?

STurtle

Active Expediter
Yeah that's what I thought but I was being generous and giving him an opportunity to explain his mismatched pictures and specs.

Dear STurtle, why can't a company, that is presumably trying to sell a product, clearly state the specifications for each model? What are they trying to hide? I'm a stupid van owner looking to buy a new van. I don't need smoke and mirrors. I want some simple specifications. Pictures are nice. I like looking at pictures. If you want to add written descriptions with the pictures make sure the words accurately describe the pictures. Are you the same Shane that runs 70 psi all around?

They're some Ultra/Terra Maxx standards and specifications on the Turtle Top website. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to to call or email Shane @ [email protected] or 800-296-2105. The current stock expediter available can be rated as a less than #10,001 lb vehicle with a Single Rear Wheel. The sleeper is 64 3/16" equipped with Microwave, TV/DVD, Roof Vent, Shore Power, Single Bed and Overhead Cabinets. Load area is 102"x 72" wall to wall, 49 1/2" between the wheel wells, enough for two pallets.
Thank You

Last edited:

STurtle

Active Expediter
This vehicle rated at #10,000 Lbs with a full tank of fuel has #1700 lbs of available payload to stay under the #10,000 lb mark.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have been in trouble with this the other day. One skid, so I had plenty of room. It weighed 2100 lbs, so that would put this over. My weight capacity is a little over a thousand pounds more than TurtleTop seems capable of and staying under 10,000. My GVWR is 8,600, 2700 lbs payload puts me real close to that.

It looks so big, is so small.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This vehicle rated at #10,000 Lbs with a full tank of fuel has #1700 lbs of available payload to stay under the #10,000 lb mark.

So, add to that a driver and what that driver takes on the road...

I can't imagine why anyone would want one of these.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should note: The weights I gave for payload are with a full tank of fuel, and me and my stuff in the van. Even given that, 1,700 pounds is just not impressive for a vehicle with those dimensions. If you have to deduct the driver and his stuff--- you have nothing left. A Toyota Prius could carry as much.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The absolute minimum for payload capacity, with a full tank of fuel and allowing 150 pounds for a driver and 150 pounds for securements and personal items (300 pounds total) would be 2000 pounds. The practical minimum is 2500 pounds, since 2 skids and 2500 pounds is what the industry expects. So with that vehicle for use with expediting, you need to figure out how to get rid of at least 800 pounds. At 1700 pounds, a driver would never get enough loads to pay for the vehicle.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Wow not a good starting point.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a Chevy 2500 standard cargo van. My limits-- 2 skids, about 2700 payload, 4 feet high at the doors by 52" between the wheel wells is about the minimum that you can get away with and hope to make any money. Below those figures, you're getting into minivan territory and you won't make much driving a minivan in this business. The turtlevan fails because of the low payload. Too much tare weight for its own good.

Most of the lightweight box vans have this problem. They look great-- until you figure out how much they can actually carry before getting into trouble. Then, you find out the box comes with a weight penalty and there's no getting around it. Something that big needs to be capable of at least three grand payload-- and preferably more-- to make sense, and there's no way to get that payload in that design under 10,000 gross. Especially with all the goodies the Turtle tries to come equipped with.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Painfully obvious just from the comments here from everyday real life expediters that this Turtle Top as configured has severely limited itself as to market it will appeal to. The 72" height is the only selling point for the cargo area, but the limit of 1700 lbs kinda kills that advantage for a lot of the freight we haul.

If it was mine I'd design a flexible and more lightweight, non-static living area that could be folded up and out of the way, making more cargo space available, up to maybe 120" instead of 102". Then you could fit three 48x40 skids sideways at least. Would also, hopefully, lower the weight of materials used in, and enclosing, the living area.

Too hard to make this vehicle have the comforts of a big truck living area and still have a decent cargo space and available free weight.

Might have missed it, but what's the mileage under load?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd like to know the empty weight of that van without the custom sleeper and accessories.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'd like to know the empty weight of that van without the custom sleeper and accessories.
Hazmat's Terramax came in around 6700 or so....best I remember. It's in his thread about his Terramax. I'm sure there could be slight differences but the empty van should come in under the 7k mark by a couple hundred pounds. That sleeper is just heavy. My van has more payload than that...even with the generator, rooftop and anyone who has seen it knows I didn't spare any weight in the cargo area.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Turtle top w/out a sleeper unit is under 7,000#, that's with a 57 gallon gas tank, Onan generator and two battery inverter system.
Might also ad, a SRW. 9900GVW