Turn Down For What?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've turned down runs because I was too tired to run it (and knew it), and I had to turn one down recently because it was too heavy. 3000 lbs, already dicey on a 2500 series van--- plus it was a big steel block which would have concentrated that weight on the rear axle. Nope, not worth it.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Im in a Tractor Trailer. Look if it don't pay the Tolls all the way, and 2.20 all miles it's not happening. Im not going to work 4 free. 2 loads canx in row. Get me moving. Turn downs Cant work for free. Money makes things happen.

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Low pay...Nothing on the other end of it,,, don't feel comfortable they will be able to turn the truck on the mini loads once I start the log book,,, Area I don't think they will find freight,, Or if I catch wind that the freight is going to Penske...
Yes the magic circle is getting smaller and smaller..:D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In the winter I watch the weather and if I know we are going to deliver going through a blizzard or going to deliver at the same time a blizzard is going to hit we will turn down a load. Getting stuck in the weather for a couple days, getting shut down due to the roads closed, or having an accident are all ways to cut into our income potential.

Running through snow is not a big deal and if we can get round a storm we will. This winter though we still managed to be forced to shut down due to interstate being shut down.

We will look at the rate, the weight, the delivery location, and then decide if the run will be profitable. We do not have a bottom line for what we run for as there are to many considerations.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The top ten reasons I turn down a load.

10. Load delivers in eastern Michigan.
9. Major snow storm in route to delivery.
8. Tuesday is tire rotation day.
7. Load delivers in eastern Michigan.
6. Short load that picks up Friday and doesn't deliver until Monday.
5. Load delivers in eastern Michigan.
4. Load delivers in the middle of nowhere and they won't pay me a bonus.
3. Familiar with the shipper/receiver and don't need the agrevation and wasted time.
2. Load pays less than my contracted rate.
1. Because I can.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Low pay...Nothing on the other end of it,,, don't feel comfortable they will be able to turn the truck on the mini loads once I start the log book,,, Area I don't think they will find freight,, Or if I catch wind that the freight is going to Penske...
Yes the magic circle is getting smaller and smaller..:D

Yep that Penske attitude sure does suck!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I feel as an independent contractor and self employed....all I need to say is NO....
and that should be the end of it...No reason required...I do NOT work for them..I work WITH them...

We all have our own preferences and specific boundaries established...

For me reasons for a turn down:

I will not do LONG Direct drives without sufficient time built in for a nap. (those days are gone for me)
I will not speed like a demon to make an unrealistic protect time ( speeding not only is unsafe..It also cuts into any profit margin )
I will not drive tired/exhausted
I will not knowingly drive into a Ice/snow storm
I will not do the 5 boroughs of NYC....been there, done that too many times.

IF the price is right I can be bought!....Most places are in play.

I 100% agree with Moots #1 reason: Because I can.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just from this week alone one can say No and they still come back with the same offer. Cant run for Free. Back in 2006 at Paradise Island I was told if the load isn't lucrative then don't do it. Guess what That person is still there and I'm still here. If its not Lucrative I'm not doing it. Or if its going to be a Weight Problem Safety I'm not doing it. 2 big reason I turn down loads Safety cant do the weight and not Lucrative puts you in the Red. IF I am in a bad area then yes I will do a load just to get out to help pay for the fuel but that's the only way. Far as Weight goes Nope I will not even take a chance my CDL My Ticket My lively Hood Not worth the Headache nor possible job loss. Now I explained why I say No that should be enough for everyone. Trash is on the curb. Have a nice Weekend.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you can't make money on the run why do it
your in business to make money not give it way

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I love the scenario of well your just sitting anyways why not make a few $ , well how about I don't really feel like dreading at my dime 75 miles for a 200 mile run at 1600 hrs Friday to deliver on Monday am for a lousy 345.00 no way nope nada ain't happening!
From a bad area to an even worse area uh no! Then the phone rings from my other pimp and I get to read the answer all over to them , next.....
I'll just take my time and wash my windows.

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Couple reasons for me:

1. Manhattan
2. West Coast

Well I Love the West Coast But for sure got to have the Flip Period and if they pay the tolls and the right money I can do the Hattan no Problem. Just can't take a loss going in to Hatten or coming out. Got to have enough to cover in and out. That's the Business and it's fare.

Last edited:

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
My number one reason is just bad freight areas for the unload or the pay dont meet my criteria other than that im game if it fits in there ill take it.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 reasons. 1st is money. 2nd goes somewhere not on my lanes. Midwest and southeast are my lanes. Texas only if the rate is better than round trip most times. East coast from VA, WVA, PA and eastwards just don't exist to me regardless of the price. Those states aren't even on my cab card. And nothing out west either.