Trying to find insurance for my cargo van. Can anyone help me please!!!!

New2this

New Recruit
Driver
I'm just starting off in this business and I'm having the toughest time finding insurance. Anyone know of any companies.

New2this

New Recruit
Driver
Appreciate it. Do you know how much people are paying. I've gotten like 3 quotes and all around 15k a year

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you properly insure it, it wont be cheap. Dont dilly around, just call CIS and let them get you proper coverage. In the event of an issue, you will be glad you did !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: jelliott

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Appreciate it. Do you know how much people are paying. I've gotten like 3 quotes and all around 15k a year

That's very high! Your either really young or have a bad driving record or both. I'm using Berkshire Hathaway purchased through CSI and it's less then a third of what you were quoted. I'm only insuring one newer cargo van.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They take advantage of being the only ones in this business (for some reason the others were pushed out of this business) and they ripoff anyone... well, not quite anyone, some guys are getting lower rates, even three times lower than what you got...

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do more research, make the calls and compare. Be certain that you have the right coverages. The cost will be based on your driving history and other factors.

Or.. could be cheaper if sign up with the carrier that offered the in-house insurance, with the strings attached of course.

And as a last resort, take the company CEO to the Chinese Dim Sum lunch and ask for a free coverage. Hey it might work. Lol...

Try this link below and throw in some info. I threw in some info and numbers. Price seems reasonable. But it just an estimate. Good luck.

http://www.autoinsurance.org/3-tips-to-buy-cheap-commercial-auto-insurance/

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
what company are you going to go with, I'm with ceva and I go thru them as it is cheaps there is and covers every thing. also ooida does it to
with going with a company you may lease to insurance company gives them a good deal for units that they have with them
when I left fedexcc I was going to get my own insurance and haul hazmat, they said that would be 5,000 a month, I said oh, you are telling me I won't be doing that they said more or less

New2this

New Recruit
Driver
I'm 35 with a good driving record. I'll try CIS and Berkshire Hathaway. I'm waiting on 2 more quotes as well. I'm not driving for a big company. A guy who's sprinter I used to drive 7 years ago started a company so I'll be driving for his company.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
It also depends where you live. I got a quote when I lived in GA, then I moved to TN and here it is significantly cheaper, all else remained the same.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm 35 with a good driving record. I'll try CIS and Berkshire Hathaway. I'm waiting on 2 more quotes as well. I'm not driving for a big company. A guy who's sprinter I used to drive 7 years ago started a company so I'll be driving for his company.
just be mindful of the the deductibles and Limits....don't over insure yourself.....especially the replacement vehicle rider.....you will not get blue book value no matter how much you pay premium....an expedite vehicle can be worth dirt even tho its only 5yrs old.....thats Blue book value MINUS prorated mileage = almost 0 value replacement....Thats exactly what happened to me.....Good Luck

Reactions: RoadTime

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
They take advantage of being the only ones in this business (for some reason the others were pushed out of this business) and they ripoff anyone... well, not quite anyone, some guys are getting lower rates, even three times lower than what you got...

To whom are you referring when you say " they rip people off " ???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To whom are you referring when you say " they rip people off " ???
with a near monopoly vendor...the suspicion of rip off is a bit higher....

in my case, my CIS premium is below 3K a year....combination of area the van is registered in, driving record, and Progressive leans heavy on credit rating..which mine is very high....which all = low premium....
I also used common sense on the accessory riders articles.....just be an informed shopper....ask yourself...Do I really need that much deductible?...Do I need that rider?.....

Kudos to CIS for honesty and forth right information and communication....

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I believe the monopoly is driven by satisfied customers and word of mouth.
No suspicion of rip off here. My rates are right where they should be due to the factors you mentioned. Anyone who does have, needs to check the factors you mentioned, cause we all know CIS just cant charge what they want !!

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The biggest item in insurance is to have the correct coverage and actually understand what the coverages are and your exposure. In my personal opinion, I think CIS does a great job especially for new folks in explaining those coverages. With that said, they aren't the only game in town so I would discount any idea that they have the market cornered. Just simply not a accurate statement. They may have the market cornered as the best agency but that is a separate issue. On a side note, I believe CIS services Berkshire but I do believe there rates in many circumstances are higher. Insurance is always fluid so it is good to shop and compare coverages.

Reactions: Turtle