Trying out Fed Ex/Van

ds1450

Expert Expediter
OK...
I have been with Panther for the past 2 seasons and have a good opportunity now with FedEx/Van. Really, how many miles/how much can I expect to make in this van? The owner claims that I can run 2 short runs and 1 long per week and be profitable. I am in the Boston area. I ran hard for Panther and got 2000+ miles per week and made out well. I was out for 3 weeks at a time. I am not afraid of New York and they tell me I can be home a lot more this way. True?????? I need to clear (after expenses) $800 - $1200 per week. I really need some help on this one!!!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Send a Private Msg to Greg334 I believe he runs a van for Fecc and am sure he would be willing to help.
Mike

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are doing well with P2 why move? Ask the van owner to put you in a van with P2 or find a new owner.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Dangit, Teacel, ya stole my question! :p

Really! If you're doing that well with one company, why switch to another? Especially when the talk has been that van freight is dying. Most van drivers in the biz would kill for 2000 loaded.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My ears were burning because someone mentioned my name.

I have to ask the same question, why?

But beside that East has always been good. I ran hard when I was up there but I never could stay in the area for more then three day without gettng something going to NC or OH.

So I have to add something, everyones situaiton is different and you may do really good or do really bad.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it ain't broke don't fix it???

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all of the response's... Just trying something else.. really wanted to go w/Landstar in a straight but need 2 more months OTR for the requirments and came across this offer.

I am on a 65/35 split and can run the truck the way I want. Not a micro manage owner and that's nice. I LOVE expedite but I want to be home a bit more.

So... will anyone give up the figures they make with Fed Ex?? I hear that the paid miles are almost always $1.00 per mile. Of course that starts me at .65 less expense. I would be happy running around new England / new York with the occasional trip through OH, NC etc.

Why leave Panther??/ Well I ran for 2 good owners and there are a lot of bad owners out there and I tend to be very cautious. I would like to go back with them but the people I want to work for are full because they are... good owners. AND Panther makes you jump thru a lot of hoops no matter who you are when you want to come back. That's a real pain but I understand the system.

If anyone wants to send me a private message, I will be happy to tell them who I intend to work for and ANY insight would be appreciated. Send to [email protected] or call me at 603-569-4031.

Nothing is in concrete, I have time to be selective and I want to make the right move.

I take the summers off because I have a beautiful house on the lake here in New Hampshire so this is a good time to look around.

I have had a couple of very good lease to own offers that are not the typical fly by nights (you know who they are) that you find with Panther owners, but that would require me to stay out the ususal 3 weeks.

Thanks for the input and please keep it comin. Any owners that want a killer driver for thier straight truck or van.. give me a call.

G

I will call you today and help you out about FedEx Custom Critical. Have you ever thought about running as a team in a C or D unit. I know a few good Owner's in the area where you live.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Landstar requires your experience to be in the type of unit you will be driving with them. Your van experience won't help if you want to drive a straight truck.

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Yes, as I mentioned I fall 2 weeks short of the 6 Month OTR req even after driving these things on and off for 20 years. No problem I can always find another straight truck...

NO TEAMING!! Above message mentioned teami ng. Tried that for 3 weeks with a real pig. Oh, he had cleaned up his act long enough for me to get into the truck but then what a nightmare NEVER again. People in this business have some awful and disgusting habits... I'll ride alone, thanks.

Anyone with any average mile numbers?? pay per mile?? Those would be a big help.

Thanks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
DS1450:
I can understand your caution, after a bad experience team driving, but do you really want to slam that door shut? Yes, there are certainly drivers who are "impossible to live with", but drivers are like any group of people: some you like, and some you don't. The chance of finding someone you can live and work with seems small, sometimes, but it could happen, ya know? Don't give up so easily!

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Well, guess you had to be there. Let's put it this way.. if someone could pass muster I might try again but really not a priority and less hedache running alone.

This was not the question of my post anyway so I would like some answers about fed ex CC van operations.

Thanks