Try Hours and the way they do business.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
We signed a truck on with Try Hours a few weeks ago and I must say that it has been very nice so far. No calls in the middle of the night from drivers that need fuel because they load 50% of the total payable's of the load on the Com Data card, not just the line haul. Some carriers only load a percentage of the line haul which is not enough to do the load and the deadhead. So far Try Hours has been Great for this Team.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
All I heard is try hours is a good company but every one is different for every other person.

With that said

Some carriers only load a percentage of the line haul which is not enough to do the load and the deadhead.

If you have to depend on the advances to make the fuel payment to pick the load up, maybe you need to examine your operating practices and maybe change something.

Just saying...

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
If you have to depend on the advances to make the fuel payment to pick the load up, maybe you need to examine your operating practices and maybe change something.

Just saying...

Greg

I understand what you're saying. It's not about depending on advance's to be honest. It's more about only advancing a truck a percentage of the line haul only and not the payables. Many carriers do it on the total payables, not the line haul.

Good Example of what I'm talking about, lets say you have a reefer load that is only 1000 miles but it has seven stops. To pick this load up you have to dead head 600 miles to get it the load at 1.50 a mile. It's will cost you based on $4.00 a gallon $369.24 or 92.31 gallons to make it to the pickup. Now your on this reefer load for seven days and we all know you need fuel for the reefer for the seven days, which is 168 hours and 117.60 gallons based on 7/10 a gallon an hour. That is about $470.40 in reefer fuel based on $4.00 per gallon. Lets say the load pays $1.50 a mile, plus a .46 a mile FSC, plus reefer fuel. Now the customer wants the truck to be at 3/4 tank of fuel at the pick up. Your tanks are 150 gallon tanks on each side. So you need to have 225 gallons in the truck plus your reefer tank full which is 60 gallons plus . That is 434.91 gallons or $1739.64 that is needed to do this load.

Now lets say the carrier only does 50% of the line haul and not the payables. Based on this load you would only get $750.00 loaded to your Com Data card. So you have to call your carrier and ask them to load money up front on your card so you can do this load. Your carrier will this but they will charge you a fee of 5% plus take it out of your very next settlement. Now you have to wait three weeks to get pay for this load and pay a $90.00 fee to service your carriers customer.

Some carriers will do 45% or 50% of the payables of the load. I think 45% is a enough so we will use that.

Line haul miles 1000 X $1.50 = $1500.00

Dead head miles 600 X $1.50 = $ 900.00

FSC pay 1000 X $0.46 = $ 460.00

Reefer fuel $ 470.00

Stop off and hand unload pay $ 500.00

SMS and CSL charges $1000.00

Total $4855.40 X 45% = $2184.93 loaded to the Com Data

The advance is taken out when you get paid for the load and everyone is happy. Now you may ask what happens if the load dry runs. Lets say you only asked for $700.00 to be loaded up front to your Com Data card because you was already at a half tank and needed to top off the reefer with 25 gallons. The carrier could take the advance out what is left over from the deadhead and the dry run pay.

Doing the advances this way keeps everyone happy and helps with driver and owner retention.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I think what Greg is saying, is that if you have to rely on the current run to get your fuel, you should take a look at other options. I can see that point. But I also see it as a big convenience to be able to get that money up front. I don't get advances like that myself, but I do use a fuel card with an occasional $60 advance. It's nice to have that peace of mind. Going back to my former carrier's option of a Comchek with a 10% fee plus $19, and having to wait an hour or two for them to process it, just doesn't cut it. And not all of us have the ability to have that much fluid money available all the time.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
??? My brain hurts with all that math....

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That's what I'm saying Larry.

Dave I understand the point and see the numbers but I ran across a few who become overly dependent on that advance and instead of managing the money part, they get into a bind and feel the company is screwing them.

tryhours3191

Seasoned Expediter
Been with Try Hours for a few months now. The advance loaded at pick up is plenty for the fuel, tolls and some pocket $. If you like to stay busy Try Hours is a good company to lease on to. Im happy and I'm never happy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Been with Try Hours for a few months now. The advance loaded at pick up is plenty for the fuel, tolls and some pocket $. If you like to stay busy Try Hours is a good company to lease on to. Im happy and I'm never happy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

Im happy and I'm never happy,,,now that is funny. made my day.