truckers and their percentage of body fat

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: cap and trade

Although I am not the hunk of burnin' love that I once was,I just cant imagine anyone weighing over 300#, as I was 7 weeks ago.It is tough to lose weight, and for most of my life, I was in shape and stayed in shape.But the last 8 years have been hard on me in many different ways, so I ended up letting myself go physically.I got off the road 7 weeks ago and told myself that I would not practically live in the truck like I have in the past.So far, in the last 7 weeks, I have lost 21 lbs just by eating smaller portions, and more excercise that I did not get from being in the truck for a year at a time. I am not using that as an excuse, but I feel that when a person starts to get overweight, the energy and motivation levels go down alot, and a person will just do nothing physically because at that point it is too strenuous.That is what I went through.I cant tell you how much better I feel just from losing the 21#.but I have alot more to go.I just ask that everyone not judge other overweight people as I once did, when I was in shape.Now I know what it is like to be that way.So as hard as it is for me, I try not to judge others heavier than me.And for those of you out there that want to lose weight, Don't put it off any longer. It will only get tougher.And dont expect huge results right away.It takes time, as we are not all the same.Be patient with yourself.It is worth the effort.And dont be ashamed to ask a freind for support.But most importantly of all, pray about it and believe in yourself.I know you can do it.

Thanks for your candor and honesty....:)

Bout 6 weeks or so ago I had a real hard time getting the BP down for the DOT exam....
My weight ballooned to just over 320lbs...
My ankles and feet were bloated from excess water from not circulating....

Well I really cut down on my sodium intake...and started walking more in RA's and wally world parking lots and TS's....
my BP was as high as 200/100 most times....
Now....130-150 over 70-85....without even a struggle...I have ankles again!!! HUGE improvement....also dropped about 12 lbs so far as well.....

Have you ever calculated your sodium intake:confused:...most Americans are 3x over the recommended daily values....:eek:

guido4475

Not a Member

Sodium intake.No, I never had.I always had low blood pressure when I was in shape, but now it is most likely higher. 12 # is great! I bet that you can feel the difference already.My downfall is real butter, and salt, even though I use sea salt.And of course, breaded chicken, fish ,pork chops, etc. the foods I love the most are most likely the worst for me.Being italian, pizza (pie) and pasta is another downfall.So I imagine it is tough for anybody to do, especially on the road.But it is worth it in the long run.Stay positive!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Sodium intake.No, I never had.I always had low blood pressure when I was in shape, but now it is most likely higher. 12 # is great! I bet that you can feel the difference already.My downfall is real butter, and salt, even though I use sea salt.And of course, breaded chicken, fish ,pork chops, etc. the foods I love the most are most likely the worst for me.Being italian, pizza (pie) and pasta is another downfall.So I imagine it is tough for anybody to do, especially on the road.But it is worth it in the long run.Stay positive!!

Yep..its an uphill spiral....legs are healthier and stronger, makes walking even easier....not a chore....when home I also walk the land with a lawn mower leading the way..*LOL* about 2 acres of grass!!

am getting used to this low sodium thingee...have a varied supply of salt substitute and Mrs dashes spices to try....no more frozen prepared meals...or very little....look at the package , some are equal to your whole days intake!!

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
The OOIDA Landline Magazine ran a series of 4 articles about this and other subjects relative to driver medical qaulifications and pending changes. I found the information helpful and interesting. I too, however, am frustrated with the ever increasing amount of over regulations. :(

http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Series/032709_fitness_4_duty.htm

http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Series/040309_ooida_answers.htm

http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Series/041009_why_more.htm

http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Series/041709_what_you_can.htm
Thanks for sharing those links. Sounds as if some of the board members will directly benefit from their recommendations - particularly the board member who represents the sleep study business. As one of the posts pointed out, follow the money. These recommendations will dramatically increase the usage of FMCSA registered doctors, clinics, and sleep study centers. If you have problems believing the confluence of doctors on boards and industries, you might read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. Dr. Campbell was a member of the group studying the U.S. government's food pyramid. It is scary to read about the influence of certain industries in lobbying for what the recommended diet for Americans should be.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Ok ill start out with i am a fat guy no hiding it i am over 300 my bp 127/74 my colestroial is 131 my hdl is 45 my ldl is 55 my triglisrides are 56 i have no health issues other than i am a fat guy i am not on any meds whats so ever while i see plenty of skinny people popping pills with their meals.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
I have the perfect solution. Why not let the government start genetically engineering the entire population then we can have a perfect race and we can all be the same. No health issues no medicines needed no laws because we would all be perfect. When is the holier then thou going to get it, we do not live in a perfect utopia. We will never stop death, when it is our time it is our time. Life is not perfect and life is not fair.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have the perfect solution. Why not let the government start genetically engineering the entire population then we can have a perfect race and we can all be the same. No health issues no medicines needed no laws because we would all be perfect. When is the holier then thou going to get it, we do not live in a perfect utopia. We will never stop death, when it is our time it is our time. Life is not perfect and life is not fair.

Exactly! The feds have deemed themselves God. Little do they know that when they think they've controlled heart attacks, drivers will start dropping dead from strokes.

And if they're going to control the habits of truck drivers, why not all drivers? Oops... I better be quiet. The over-fed, under-worked UAW hi-lo driver might be reading. Not to mention all those old folks who have lost the ability to properly drive years ago.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly! The feds have deemed themselves God. Little do they know that when they think they've controlled heart attacks, drivers will start dropping dead from strokes.

And if they're going to control the habits of truck drivers, why not all drivers? Oops... I better be quiet. The over-fed, under-worked UAW hi-lo driver might be reading. Not to mention all those old folks who have lost the ability to properly drive years ago.

And why do you suppose the government got this from?

THE PEOPLE.....The people let them have their way...no one bothered to vote the bums out...nothing...just sat and complained....I guess that is why there is a million and one different forums in cyber space...to support all the whinners that chose to do nothing and let the government take over....:eek:

guido4475

Not a Member
I guess I should be filling my Big Gulp cup with diet soda now.
A big gulp filled with diet soda along with that quarter pounder loaded with everything,2 great biggie size fries,and 1 family size of onion rings.That diet soda will balance everything out. It kills me to see someone go hog wild at a fast food joint and then get the diet drink. I mean, WHAT DIFFERENCE IS IT GOING TO MAKE?